Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-23, 03:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Whey, Collagen, Casein, Beef Protein Powders..

Oh My!

What started out as a short article about What’s the Best Protein Powder (For You)? has ended up covering a variety of supplemental protein sources including ones I’ve never heard of before. At the beginning, the Cons of using powders rather than real food e.g. beef, eggs, etc. are listed in detail.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/bes...powder-for-you/

But if you still have questions about collagen vs goat whey powder, this may have the answer. Covers all the vegetarian powders too. One I found interesting, to place in General Low carb forum is Beef Protein, the latest new fad in the carnivore world.

Quote:
Beef-Based:
If dairy doesn’t work for your body or fit into your preferences, but you still eat animal based, you may have come across beef-based protein, which is currently all the rage within the keto and carnivore communities.

Although it can be appealing, beef-based proteins often aren’t what you’d think they are. While you might think they’re made from some beef cut, they’re just overmarketed versions of collagen or gelatin.

Below, [in the article linked] Marty Kendall included the amino acid breakdown for the popular beef-based protein Equip. While it contains many essential amino acids, its cysteine, tryptophan, tyrosine, and methionine levels lag or lack compared to other protein sources. Beef protein is also relatively expensive in comparison to other protein powders, so you’re paying a lot more for an incomplete protein.

I have no issues using whey protein powders, so only the expense has kept me from buying Beef Protein, glad I waited to read this. I use whey more as a flavoring/mild sweetener, mixed into yogurt, cottage cheese or smoothie. No more than a scoop a day, Ascent brand now at Costco is made with stevia.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-20-23 at 03:27.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-23, 04:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I use Naked Whey, which is the only real kind I can find. I was getting sick from all the additives in the mixes. Which clogged the pipe in my sink!

I have an appetite challenge, and I use it in Greek yogurt smoothies. Sarcopenia researchers recommend it as a way to add protein to almost anything, and studies have shown this practice to make a dramatic difference in keeping muscles strong.

It's like a paroxysm of capitalism. Restaurants make money on food. No one should profit in other ways from food, but Fake Food is BIG.

I also wonder if we aren't going to have to apply the Beer Rule: 80% of the fake food is eaten by 20% of the population? Because I know people who never cook. And they're not getting bunless burgers.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-23, 10:47

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've recently started taking casein first thing in the morning (I didn't use to have anything until 1pm) based on Dr Eades recommendation to get mTor working (or something like that!). He shared the chart in this post: https://www.prodiet-fluid.com/blog/...elderly-people/

I don't know how to take Marty's cassein comment:
Quote:
However, instead of immunoglobulins, casein notoriously provides specific peptides.

Are peptides good or bad?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-23, 10:33

BF:

One of the first things I learned from Dr. Jack Kruse is resetting hormones with 50 grams of protein within 20 minutes of waking. That does work.

Though, without a chef on staff, a big smoothie was the only way I could consistently do that, as sick as I was.

I think it's that casein is heavy in peptides, not so much in others. Like B vitamins, we need a good base, then add specialty items as needed.

Based on that, I use whey protein and Greek yogurt.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-23, 10:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
I don't know how to take Marty's cassein comment: 'Are peptides good or bad?'
I asked him on the webpage in the OP and he replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
So peptides are proteins. Peptides can initiate things like immune activity, body repair, etc… think BPC 157, thymosin alpha… if you’re familiar. They’re signaling molecules. It’s part of why something like colostrum is so beneficial for immune health; it has a rich peptide profile. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8653944/. The section on peptides towards the bottom near conclusions explains them a bit more
The paper says 40g of casein is required to trigger the mTor response but only 25g of whey protein. I therefore intend to get whey for the morning and have casein at some other part of the day for its particular benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-23, 04:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Although it can be appealing, beef-based proteins often aren’t what you’d think they are. While you might think they’re made from some beef cut, they’re just overmarketed versions of collagen or gelatin.

This is turning out to be a case of a little is important, but a lot is detrimental. While whey protein is supported by many studies about adding protein for seniors, and I've given my cats collagen because they aren't out there licking bones, a person who eats enough animal foods probably shouldn't worry about collagen.

Large amounts seem to angry up the immune system. One of the mistakes I made. Which is why I am looking twice at all supplements and isolated components of our food.

The more I craft a proper diet, the less of such "helps" I need. And plant-based collagens are similarly artificial creatures of the vegan world.

"Pork-based proteins" is a can of Spam.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-23, 05:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Whey continues to gather support, especially for seniors, especially for senior women, as more abandon carb restriction in favor of High Protein Diets, e.g. Dr Layman, Dr Lyon, Dr Eenfeldt and the DietDoctor team. The leftover liquid of curdled milk is no different than butter, "processed" by an ancient method of inoculating milk with bacteria or separating fats. Adding whey protein to FF yogurt is like reconstituting the milk, minus the fat. High satiety, high nutrient density, no cravings.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-23, 06:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I rarely use protein powders anymore, but when I do, it's beef protein powder.

Long ago, I used whey protein. I did an elimination diet back in 2014 and all dairy was problematic for me. Still, I loved those shakes, so whey protein was one of the first foods I added back in after 3 months of elimination. I gained several pounds in the next couple days after doing so, which means it was still causing inflammation for me. I dropped all protein powder shakes for a while, and then switched to beef protein. No issues with that.

As for the mTOR reaction, I asked Dr. Eades about whether it's better to get 30g of protein in first thing in the morning OR doing a 18/6 window of intermittent fasting. He said IF is good, but try to do it earlier than noon to 6:00 pm, and make it protein-heavy.

I've started browning 2 pounds of grass-fed ground beef from a local farm at at time, and then eating off it in the mornings so I don't have to cook every day. I have just the ground beef and toss in a Tbsp or so of Kerry Gold butter.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 05:46

BF:

Currently, I add carbs and plants (but I repeat myself) solely to control my oxalate clearing symptoms.

Winter of 2019 I lived on grassfed hamburger, salt, and water for about a month, to put down a flare.

I can easily do it again
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-23, 11:36

BF:

Per my above post, I switched from cassein to whey but had a bag of cassein left to use. I started taking the whey first thing and the cassein about 11am (both 25g) but started getting a sharp pain in my what appeared to be my kidneys.
I stopped and it has now gone away but seems there is a protein limit, at least for me, in a fasted state and using dairy.
Mercola had an article not too long ago, saying too much dairy can be acidic and task the kidneys so maybe it was that.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-19-23, 23:58

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

I've had trouble with dairy my entire life. As a baby my mother gave me goat milk as I did better with it. However, as I grew up I really avoided dairy due to the digestive upset it caused, and it is still a problem if I have much of it (I'm now 74).
About 15 years ago I tested positive for casein sensitivity and was told to avoid it, so I don't buy whey powder as it has casein in it. I eventually found Jay Robb's egg white protein powder and have stuck with that for the last 10 years or so. I use it mainly after a weight workout, but not really at other times so I do well enough with it. The taste is good.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-23, 20:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I use Naked Whey, which is the only real kind I can find. I was getting sick from all the additives in the mixes. Which clogged the pipe in my sink!

I’ve been using Raw Grass Fed Whey Concentrate and find it excellent:
https://www.raworganicwhey.com/coll...otein-5-lb-bulk

This is high-quality whey with no additives or sweeteners. It’s cold processed without using solvents, so it truly is raw. While I still favor protein in my meals in the form of meats and fish, whey is a great addition to get my protein consumption to the required levels I need to prevent sarcopenia and to supplement my resistance training to build muscle.

The optimising nutrition review of protein powders in Janet’s post provides good guidance. I use the powder to get me to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass body weight per day. It would be difficult to do that solely with the meat or fish I’m eating in my meals. I’m adding it to yogurt, making a drink with pure cacao and water, and adding it to cottage cheese. I also drink at least 8 ounces per day of homemade milk kefir which contributes more protein, many probiotic CFUs, and is easy to make and delicious. Fermented dairy has almost zero lactose and tastes great. Haven’t tried adding whey powder to it yet . . .

Last edited by GRB5111 : Fri, Dec-22-23 at 21:19.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-24-23, 13:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think the point Jey was making was that you're basically buying gelatin or collagen if you're buying beef protein powders. So, you could save yourself some simoleans and buy a big can of gelatin powder. Cheaper! I remember being on a gelatin kick for a while. It was pretty inexpensive. Didn't do a thing for my arthritis, which was why I bought it.