Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 09:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I had tried it a couple times in the past and never had any success. Now I realize I wasn't eating nearly enough.

That's what happened to me. I kept saying, "But I'm still hungry," and think I was somehow doing it wrong or it wasn't for me.

But now, I have settled into an erratic schedule where I sometimes eat a lot, and sometimes not.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 11:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm beginning to think that's the key. I'm really honing in on how I feel and how hungry I am (or not). If anyone is interested, I'll start posting in my journal every day.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 13:03

BF:

Rob, after reading "The Carnivore Code," I think Saladino is too much of a purist for me. He doesn't even want you putting ground pepper on your steak because it's a seed. So far, I much prefer Shawn Baker's take on things.

Also, Saladino strikes me as the kind of guy who is young and male and so certain he has the answers to everything for everyone. All of the five tiers he includes in his books (levels of carnivory) are based on what and how much he would eat at those tiers. Instead of stating that these menus would be ideal for a ripped 40-year-old male who is already in peak physical condition, he just lays it out there as if everyone should be eating these foods in these quantities. What about a post-menopausal woman who has 50 to 100 pounds of body fat to lose? He does include this sentence at the end of the discussion of the tiers: "Any dietary intervention that increases high-quality animal foods and cuts out the most toxic types of plant foods is going to improve our overall quality of life." I do agree with that.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-21, 07:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Rob, after reading "The Carnivore Code," I think Saladino is too much of a purist for me. He doesn't even want you putting ground pepper on your steak because it's a seed. So far, I much prefer Shawn Baker's take on things.

Also, Saladino strikes me as the kind of guy who is young and male and so certain he has the answers to everything for everyone. All of the five tiers he includes in his books (levels of carnivory) are based on what and how much he would eat at those tiers. Instead of stating that these menus would be ideal for a ripped 40-year-old male who is already in peak physical condition, he just lays it out there as if everyone should be eating these foods in these quantities. What about a post-menopausal woman who has 50 to 100 pounds of body fat to lose? He does include this sentence at the end of the discussion of the tiers: "Any dietary intervention that increases high-quality animal foods and cuts out the most toxic types of plant foods is going to improve our overall quality of life." I do agree with that.

Bawdy - insightful analysis of Saladino. I think the book is informative, but hardly a carnivore's bible. There are gaps in gender, age, and optimizing approaches for existing conditions that would have vastly improved the book if they were addressed. I came to the conclusion that "Eat healthy protein in the form of meat and fish, occasionally include vegetables or fruit only if you tolerate them" would be a very short book. I've found Baker's interviews (videos, podcasts) informative as well.

ETA: There are several people I respect who successfully follow a carnivorous WOE including Dr. Georgia Ede, Amber O'Hearn, and others whose experiences are recounted here:
https://zerocarbzen.com/tag/carnivory/

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Sep-08-21 at 07:32.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-21, 08:23

BF:

Thanks, Rob! I've quasi-followed Dr. Ede and Amber for several years now off and on. I'll check that out.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 11:06

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

So, I realize this thread has drifted away from the original question, but I'm curious:

Why are you trying to eat liverwurst if you don't like it? Is it as a way to get the health-benefits of liver?

(No judgement, just curiosity... from someone who loves both foods. The way *I* eat liverwurst is "Decide to indulge yourself at the grocery, and try to make it home before you rip in & eat it in the parking lot." So I'm not real helpful with the suggestions, but definitely curious about the motive.)
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-21, 13:07

BF:

Yes, I originally posted about how to eat liverwurst because I want to try getting at least a bit of organ meat into my diet.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 04:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Another great thing about liverwurst is how it's already prepared. A pan of liver and onions is prep and clean up.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-21, 05:04

Quote:
Yes, I originally posted about how to eat liverwurst because I want to try getting at least a bit of organ meat into my diet.

If that's the case... why eat it alone?

You can mix it with other ground meats to hide the taste: Meatballs, burgers, meatloaf, you name it. Toss in enough seasonings/flavorings, and you should be good!! (Was going to say "the bottom of a cottage pie", but you seem to be going carnivore, so I'll pass on that part.)

(Me? I think I need to go find some liverwurst now, as my treat for the day. Need to go shopping anyhow, and I've become a little obsessed.)
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-21, 07:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
If that's the case... why eat it alone?

You can mix it with other ground meats to hide the taste: Meatballs, burgers, meatloaf, you name it. Toss in enough seasonings/flavorings, and you should be good!!

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that???
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-21, 06:43

To be fair, it took me several days to come up with it. Seems obvious in retrospect, but we're so used to thinking of it as a "lunch meat"...

(And btw, this thread caused me to go out & get a package of liverwurst. Took hitting 3 stores to find some that a.) had it, and b.) didn't have bacon -- and thus sugar -- added, but it was a sinfully self-indulgent treat.

I grew up eating it, but when I moved away from home, literally no one I knew ate it, so -- since I was almost always sharing a household with someone or other besides myself -- I pretty much stopped buying it. I can count the number of times I've had liverwurst as an adult on one hand.)

It actually hit me when I was grocery shopping, looking for liverwurst. I liked the price of the ground pork I saw, but not the ground beef, so didn't buy any. (I wanted ground *beef* that day.) And that's when it hit me.