Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 18:26

Plan: Rose Elliot's veg LC
Stats: 185.6/174/140 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default newbie veggie low carber

Hello,

I've just started a low carb diet as a life-long lacto ovo vegetarian with Rose Elliot's book. I've lost half a stone in five days which is very exciting but I'm not expecting it to stay at that rate (bit scary if it does). Hoping there are some others who are doing a similar thing - anticipating the need for moral support and don't want to bore my boyfriend, friends and work mates to death talking about what I am eating all the time! Would love to hear from anyone who's doing something similar for a bit of mutual advice and encouragement.

Thanks!

Katie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 07:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi Katie. I'm a long time low carb pescatarian. This forum is pretty slow
But, the other forums like general low carb and whatnot can be great- some people will say vegetarianism is unhealthy and unnatural, but if you explain you do it for moral reasons, you will usually get helpful replies

Congrats on your loss!

What kinds of meals have you been eating so far? Anything really good you want to share?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 12:29

Plan: Rose Elliot's veg LC
Stats: 185.6/174/140 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.
Interested to hear how you are managing thing over the long term. I'm not sure how long I can go on being this strict about carbs. I am eating 20g per day but it is a right pain in the neck trying too work out what I am going to eat for the whole day so carefully and adding up grams of carbs all the time. How long have you been going? How many carbs so you limit yourself to?

I think that after two or three weeks I have to go back to eating fruit and vegetables because I miss them too much. Will probably do that and leave out any other sugar and have no bread or pasta or rice or anything and see if I could still lose weight slowly that way. Would be interested to know how you've done it over a long time period because doing this for months on end seems rather impossible from where I am no! Perhaps my perspective will change when I've persevered for longer.

Not too easy on the meals, not much variety to be had. Found a few things I like eating. Going to have asparagus and poached eggs tonight for dinner.

I've been eating lots of fried pieces of tofu dipped in home made mayo with salad leaves for lunch - easy to take to work. Also romaine lettuce with veggie bacon and bits of goat cheese and some pumpkin seeds.

My favourite breakfast thing is ground linseeds with protein isolate powder, sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla extract mixed with boiling water and a few nuts. Sometimes with a little soy yoghurt. Tastes quite like porridge.

Good snack has been a little bit of cold uncooked silken tofu with a tsp of soy sauce - like the japanese eat it. Bit of an acquired taste though that one. My boyfriend lived in Japan for a while and I got used to it as it was one of the only vegetarian things available for most of the time!

Definitely not up to justifying being a vegetarian to anyone, been having that conversation my whole life. People really like to have a go for some reason. Think its probably the same with cutting out carbs, everyone likes to tell you that it's a bad idea for some reason. Really just trying not to discuss it with anyone to avoid having to defend it. I think being a vegetarian makes some people feel guilty and they get all aggressive about eating meat in response. Pretty irritating, I'm definitely not evangelical about it - just brought up by hippies!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 07:29

BF:

I have been low carb for about 6 years or so (I'm about to turn 27). I generally stick to about 30-35g of carbs per day.
It becomes habit, and the cravings really will go away

The things I figured out along the way:
1. don't rely too heavily on processed products like veggy burgers tofurkey slices
2. don't make cheese its own food group
3. don't fear the fat

So here are a few sample days, where I do not eat any fish.

B- iced coffee with half and half, sugar free torani spyrup
L- omelet with spinach, mushrooms and swiss cheese, maybe sf catsup
S- cucumber and celery with ranch or hummus
D-salad with greens, olives, roasted peppers, baked tofu, etc...

B- mocha made with coffee, cocoa, half and half, and splenda
L- egg salad with bell pepper strips and celery to scoop
S- greek yogurt with a packet of true lemon to flavor it
D- spaghetti squash with fresh parmesean and alfredo sauce, green side salad with olive oil and vinegar

Weekend:
Brunch:
Scrambled eggs with butter
Roasted jicama "home fries" with sf catsup
Coffee with half and half, sf torani
S- glass of white wine and cheese plate, maybe a few fresh berries
D- vegetable and tofu kabobs on the BBQ

Hope this helps- the recipe sections here are great- be sure to peruse them.

And definitely, explore the general low carb area- there are a lot of really knowledgeable people on this board, who can help you with all kinds of "newbie" questions- there is also a specific newbie forum
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 15:35

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I'm definitely not evangelical about it - just brought up by hippies!

I love that! I generally let my WOE fly under the radar whenever possible -- not worth the hassle sometimes :-)

Katie, you're doing great! And I think you found the right board for suggestions and moral support :-)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 22:35
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian CAD
Stats: 120/120/100 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Robin for your vegetarian low carb suggestions. I'm going to try out your jicama low carb fries. I've been going on and off low carb because I find it difficult to stick to a low carb diet when you're a a semi-vegetarian. I call myself semi-vegetarian because sometimes I do get meat but it's usually raw fish.

For the longest time I've been disillusioned that to be a low carber means you have to be a heavy meat eater. And it's not like I can just force myself to eat meat because i'm honestly a vegetarian because I hate the taste of cooked meat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 07:03

BF:

good luck- if you eat fish, that sure makes it easier
I eat fish of some type almost daily.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 14:43

Plan: Veggie Low Carb
Stats: 142.8/132.5/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Hello fellow Rosie fans! I'm newly trying her veggie plan - semi successfully. Mine's not actually for weight loss, it's because I have digestive problems if I eat anything more than a veggie/vegan /raw diet. I've been pain free since changing to this kind of diet and it's amazing how quickly the cravings for carbs disappear - it's much easier than stopping smoking and I managed that!

I'm based in the UK and I don't always understand some of the ingredients you list in your examples of what you eat. What are jicama fries for example?

It's great to know there are other people trying to eat the same way as me. Lovely to meet you all!
Shrew x
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 16:04

Plan: Vegetarian low carb
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Hi I have been vegetarian for about a year now I found myself gravitating to pasta , bread stuff that wasn't very healthy so I made a change I've been on low carb vegetarian for a week now and so far so good lost 2 lbs I've tried a lot of different recipes and found a couple good go to meals so your not alone!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 11:09

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I know this post is a few years old. I hope your plan worked for you, and that you lost your weight