Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 18:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043ched
I don't doubt that OMAD would work, I do doubt I could stick to it. Did OMAD result in a reduction of calories in your case, or did you maintain calories in one meal?

To drop weight means utilizing body fat for energy. That requires eating fewer calories. On keto Im much less hungry than eating SAD. So while Im not promoting 23/1 as better than any other IF window, my point is that intake must decrease lower than output such that the body must mobilize its fat stores to make up the difference.

For me, I cannot eat 24hrs worth of calories within one hour in other words, I will be full, but cannot eat some 2000 calories. This forces the stored fat to be used and weight will drop.

Initally calories in the form of ketones spill out thru the urine. But that is only for short period of time : as body becomes fat adapted, it uses those ketones as fuel.

Using stored fat is less efficient than just eating calories, so we get a little bumb in weight loss.

Ive heard some people dont switch back and forth easily. And sticking to very low carbs ( stay in ketosis) can be easier for most.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 19:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

043ched, you're in luck. I'm doing IF for 90 days over in this thread here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...903#post9365903

I've continued to track since I started low carb here. Scroll to the end and you'll see the last 90 day practice where I did 20 net carbs, No artificial sweetener and no snacking in the car.

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

The only thing I'm changing this period until June 30 is that I'm attempting IF M-W-F - keeping my carbs at or below 20 net and eating as much as I want to on feeding days. I'm pretty sure I've lost a few pounds already in April.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...903#post9365903

You can track my weight this month here in the Daily Weigh in thread:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...t=483804&page=7

Follow along, I also post in my journal - sometimes of what I'm eating on a particular day. Here:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...820#post9365820

Hope that helps
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 199/201/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress: -5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
TOn keto Im much less hungry than eating SAD. So while Im not promoting 23/1 as better than any other IF window, my point is that intake must decrease lower than output such that the body must mobilize its fat stores to make up the difference.

That makes a lot of sense. I don't doubt that the "casual" carb is causing me to eat more than I should.

[/QUOTE]
Ive heard some people dont switch back and forth easily. And sticking to very low carbs ( stay in ketosis) can be easier for most.[/QUOTE]

I probably one of those people that shouldn't switch back and forth. My thinking right now is opposite of Atkins, meaning rather than adding back carbs, to gradually reduce until I find the right level.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 07:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
043ched, you're in luck. I'm doing IF for 90 days over in this thread here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...903#post9365903

Great. I'll check it out.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 12:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

043ched

I learned a lot doing the Atkins DANDR plan.
One of the reasons you start with low carb intake in Atkins and slowly raise the carb level (and track it all) is to find out what your threshold is. It is about the total quantity, spacing them out and, for me, where they come from. Through tracking I know I can go up to 45 gr per day and still stay in ketosis, but only if most of the carbs (90%) are coming from unprocessed veggies and not dairy, processed dressings, low carb junk etc. ALso the carbs need to be spread thru the day because 20 gr in one meal can send your sugar up and take you out of ketosis. There is a reason that Atkins structured the ongoing weight loss phase the way he did (thats what I follow) because you learn all this if you do it right and can manage your carb intake in ways that do not thwart your loss efforts.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-20, 14:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
043ched

One of the reasons you start with low carb intake in Atkins and slowly raise the carb level (and track it all) is to find out what your threshold is.

That makes sense. Since my last post, I have switched to a stricter keto style diet. I'll see how it goes before making any decision on adding back carbs.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 19:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Yep, you have to find what works for you and if the keto works better to lose go for it. Then you may find you can use the Atkins approach to add back some carbs carefully on maintenance too, at some point. We all have to find our own path in this.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 04:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I was listening to an interview with Jason Fung recently. According to him, fats can push blood sugar up 8 hours after being consumed. This leads me to conclude that the question of whether or not IF is going to be of benefit to weightloss will depend on a number of variables: e.g. how insulin resistent your body is (or how effective it is at burning dietary carbohydrates, rather than storing them as glycogen); another factor would be your consumption of fat the previous day: a high fat evening meal might lead to an insulin response to breakfast the following morning.

Give that we are all different, and we eat different diets, the only way you can really judge it it might be beneficial to you based on your diet is to do a comparison by eating the same diet for a few weeks, then for the next few weeks eat the same foods, but incorporate an intermittent fasting window by adding the food from breakfast (or dinner) to the other meals, so you're not changing the food or macronutrient balance. You can then compare the results to give you an idea of whether IF might benefit you while eating that particular diet. With a different diet, you might find that the same comparison would produce different results.

If you have very low bodyfat, and are heavily muscled or large framed, then it's possible that you are already at an ideal weight and your body will resist any attempts to lose more.

Just to comment in general, people generally get a bit more insulin resistent as they get older, so we have to be that bit more careful if we want to lose weight.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Jul-04-20 at 04:46.