Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: South beach
Stats: 248/237/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default doing terrible

guys-im coming back on here for some accountability. i have been doing terrible. ill do phase one for a day up to five..weekend hits or any other excuse and im off track again. also since the gyms have been closed been doing crappy with exercise. typing this to get on track. starting day one again fresh. going to post in the other forums daily. i just need to get my crap together
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 09:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

You need to have strong understanding of your 'WHY', why you want to lose weight. Then, DFQ (Don't Fricken Quit).

It is that simple, and of course it is not that simple.

Wishing you success!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
You need to have strong understanding of your 'WHY', why you want to lose weight. Then, DFQ (Don't Fricken Quit).

It is that simple, and of course it is not that simple.

Wishing you success!

you are right!! i want to avoid further weight gain, lose what i have gained and get thinner than my lowest weight. i have just planned all of my dinners for the week and now am working on lunch and snacks. when i get home from work i will be running to the store to grab extra veggies. going to put the work into it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 11:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Perhaps give weekends a hard look. Why is it ok to go off plan for those days? Is it important to you to go off plan ?? Is it important to you to stay on plan ?

It worked better for me to have my family also live low carb. We played with different LC pancake recipes until kids happy with a recipe.

Bread mostly gone.... As I keep pushing for more meat and vegetables for everyone. My kids eat far better than most kids.
Meals can be low carb and delicious. Baked chicken and green beans. Dessert is rare. No longer normal daily fare. A thing of the past.

That's what helped me especially on the weekends.

Figure out what will help you stay closer to on track. Your needs are important. Think about why your plan is put on the back burner on the weekends. I had to put me first. Selfish? Yes. But my health is worth it.....and I dragged my family along, improving their diet.... and health.

(My kids don't miss school.)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 12:13

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaward4
you are right!! i want to avoid further weight gain, lose what i have gained and get thinner than my lowest weight. i have just planned all of my dinners for the week and now am working on lunch and snacks. when i get home from work i will be running to the store to grab extra veggies. going to put the work into it.

So there you described what you want to do, but WHY do you want to lose weight? Is it to look better...why is this important to you (not to some else looking at you)? Is it for your health....what do you want better health to do for you (live to see grandkids, be able to travel and explore without limits, give you more energy to do the things you enjoy)?

For me, atleast, it needs to be for more than the numbers. When I was approaching 230, I set a goal to get in shape, drop the weight and climb MT Rainier with my son. That 'WHY' kept me on track, and allowed me to share an incredible experience with my son. Afterwards I got lax, and started to gain the weight back, so I signed up for a GoRuck event and worked hard to prepare, and recently completed it. Again, my 'WHY' was not really the event itself, but to continue to set an example for my son, even though he is in basic training at the moment...if I can still do hard shit I can push him, even from afar. (And it was also to prove to myself I can still do hard shit:-)

Another strong 'WHY' for me is that I do not want to look like the average middle age man, overweight with a gut. I just don't see myself as being that guy, and my wife does not want me to be that guy (at almost 230 I was that guy in late 2017).

Finally, my 'WHY' is that I want to be able to do a few more adventures with my son, and travel and ride horses with my wife, in the years to come, and it is getting too darn hard to get back to a good weight and get in shape as I get older, so I want to finish this recent push and stay where I need to be.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Sniggle : Wed, Oct-14-20 at 12:19.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins NDR (2002)
Stats: 270.2/236/165 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 33%

Yeah, what Sniggle has said here is dead on. Vague ideas about being skinny, or wearing a particular size outfit can seem like a motivation to begin with, but when you have a long road ahead of you, with a continued concerted level of action required to make that goal, there needs to be something else there to help you to make it through the ups and downs. Most people don't have the willpower to stick to something they aren't enjoying in the long-rung.

By treating your goal as a collection of benefits that you will see improvements to along the way, you give yourself the opportunity to see rewards frequently, which can help motivation. If you're improving your health, slowly but surely there will be many milestones (mini-goals personal to you) that you can find encouragement from. They will help you to continuously recommit to your plan.

So be sure that the plan you have is right for you (if it's too complicated, involves you eating things you don't enjoy or is too restrictive to fit into your everyday schedule...it won't work. Be honest with yourself.) Once you've got that plan picked out, you need to prepare for the new WOE properly. Make your plan bullet-proof by anticipating anything that could get in your way. Have solutions at the ready. Never assume that you'll just coast on through and cope with everything thrown at you.

And like Sniggle said, find out your 'Why'. Is it something that will sustain your commitment in the long run? Is it realistic? Is it something that you really want, or just vaguely think you might like This has to be something that you're willing to work for, willing to change your life for and willing to accept as a permanent fixture in your life. Try to improve your behaviours surrounding whatever food/health/exercise ideals you want to achieve. By changing how you relate to these things, you will develop better relationships with them, which in turn will allow you to make improvements.

Work at getting your head in the game, before you start trying to jump in at the deep end. If you're unprepared, don't understand your motivations, have no long-term plan to make you commit to the long-haul and no way of measuring improvements as you make your way along the path to your goal...then you probably won't be able to stay the course. Spend a bit of time thinking about everything Sniggle said. Maybe jot down your thoughts in a notebook or journal. Get to know your reasons and your motivations. Make a list of smaller behavioural improvements that you can see constant betterment in, to help give you those mini-goals or senses of achievement.

Just give yourself the best chance you can to succeed and do your best to pre-empt or head-off anything that might scupper your efforts, before they have a chance to rear their ugly head.

Stay cool and good luck!

Blue
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 06:06
Registered Member

BF:

im starting day 7 this morning. this is the first time in a while that i made it thru the weekend. i have been journaling my food in the journal forum everyday. i weighed myself. i am down 5 pounds!! seven more days to go and i then start phase two. the bins and the meal prepping have been working. just want to thank you all for your support and encouragement.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins NDR (2002)
Stats: 270.2/236/165 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 33%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaward4
im starting day 7 this morning. this is the first time in a while that i made it thru the weekend. i have been journaling my food in the journal forum everyday. i weighed myself. i am down 5 pounds!! seven more days to go and i then start phase two. the bins and the meal prepping have been working. just want to thank you all for your support and encouragement.

Excellent news! Well done! I'm not doing the same plan as you (I'm doing Atkins) but I know that I definitely made things easier for myself by reading the my relevant book, researching and planning stuff out beforehand. Be sure to continuously keep on checking in with yourself, revisit your reasons for wanting to achieve this and stay focused. Any time you feel like cheating, or having a "day off" really think about what that will mean in the long run. Especially early on in this new way of eating. The urge to cave to cravings will be momentary and soon pass, but the regret of giving in and knowing you have to work hard to get back on plan will stay with you a lot longer. Like all of us, you're going to have times when the scale doesn't move, or it wobbles back up a bit for a couple of days even though you've stayed on plan; so know that those moments are going to be the times that need you to keep tapping into your motivation for doing this. You don't need to give yourself more frustration by allowing fleeting urges to go off-plan, result in you needing to recalibrate yourself afterwards.

You're off to a great start! If you've been journaling, be sure to write out just how awesome it feels to have shifted those first 5lbs, so you'll have that feeling of mini-milestone success there on paper, to return to any time things start to get more difficult. Remembering how awesome it feels to see the success on the scale should help you push through and keep on keeping on, every day/week.

Weekends are often the hardest time for a lot of people who are trying to stick to a new way of eating, so congratulations on managing to negotiate that first one successfully. Know that if you did it once, you can do it again. Because you totally can. Remember how you did it, remember how it felt and approach every weekend the same way.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work and be sure to keep sharing your experiences with us here on the forum.

Good luck

Blue

P.S. Don't forget to update your weight stats in your profile so your progress will appear in the top right hand corner of all the posts you make.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 12:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Well done eating on plan for the weekend. You are sure to see the scale move this week !!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-20, 13:17
Registered Member

BF:

thank you all for everything!!!!!