Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-23, 04:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Terrific new interview with Dr Ted Naiman, video by 5 Minute Body.

https://youtu.be/KTx-Na-y5fY

Starting at minute 32, interviewer plays a Food Satiety game. When I starting listening to Dr Naiman 5 years ago, I had to learn all these tips one food, one podcast at a time.

It covers everything, excellent explanation of Personal Fat Threshold, why ANY diet, LF, LC, vegan can reverse diabetes, reverse obesity, etc. That explanation is in the first 20 minutes, total video is over an hour…but if you are "stuck" it is worth listening to the entire discussion. At hour 1, he explains the misunderstanding of spikes in BG from eating carbs, versus the slow BG rise and "total area under the curve" that results from eating fat! This part is important to understanding weight loss.

High Satiety per Calorie, High Nutrient Density, why dieting at the extremes will fail in the long term. Then a Satiety Game….the foods that are good for SPC weight loss starts at minute 32. And most interesting ….why bacon, sausage, hotdogs, ground beef less than 90% lean, pork rinds, pepperoni, cheese DO NOT HELP weight loss..…this section summarizes some important info in The P:E Diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-16-23 at 06:04.
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-23, 12:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

That was probably the best Ted Naiman video I've seen. He has his shirt on most of the time and I found that watching at 1.25X speed minimizes the annoying whine in his voice. And he did a better job of acknowledging the people who first developed some of his concepts. I was glad that the interviewer asked about carbs at the end and he conceded that people who have problems with high Fodmaps foods should eliminate or cut back on them. But the one thing he still doesn't get is that people with eating disorders in their backgrounds or major inflammatory responses to certain carbs cannot just add any 70-150g of carbs to their diet without risking a major binge, lack of self-control, and downward spiral. His laughing at people who "think" they cannot eat nightshades was not helpful. Foods (and drugs) that cause wheezing or joint pain are not just in peoples' minds. And any food that a completely satiated person still craves and could eat until they are in a food coma is not something they should dare topping up their 70g theoretical carb limit for the day because they cannot stop at 70g. Avoiding those particular things is the only way to control themselves, just as for alcoholics and drug addicts. There is still plenty of variety to eat, but people should know their personal triggers, intolerances, etc. Avoiding certain things gives some people the piece of mind and self control that they lose if they consume; it does not make them crazy.

I noticed that he is finally admitting that his beloved protein powders are highly processed so some people may not want to use them. I wonder if he will ever consider that instead of eating more protein or carbs to sustain long periods of frenetic exercise, some people should cut back on frenetic exercise or weightlifting that creates overdeveloped muscles not needed for daily living.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Aug-16-23 at 13:10.
  #363   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-23, 04:08

Dr Naiman has not suggested PP over real whole foods but understands for his patients with time constraints in the morning, women who just cannot eat more meat, etc , it is a "cheat code". He is a crusader for "not all processed food is evil" Butter is processed, whey processing is not much different.

I started with his one meme, and a limit of 50 net carbs…and I had to work up to that many carbs. But it was very similar to the New Atkins approach where I started. Marty Kendall's macro class would be better for anyone sensitive to FODmaps…starts from where you are now and adjusts slowly (if possible).

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-17-23 at 04:40.
  #364   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-23, 08:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
That was probably the best Ted Naiman video I've seen. He has his shirt on most of the time and I found that watching at 1.25X speed minimizes the annoying whine in his voice. And he did a better job of acknowledging the people who first developed some of his concepts. I was glad that the interviewer asked about carbs at the end and he conceded that people who have problems with high Fodmaps foods should eliminate or cut back on them. But the one thing he still doesn't get is that people with eating disorders in their backgrounds or major inflammatory responses to certain carbs cannot just add any 70-150g of carbs to their diet without risking a major binge, lack of self-control, and downward spiral. His laughing at people who "think" they cannot eat nightshades was not helpful. Foods (and drugs) that cause wheezing or joint pain are not just in peoples' minds. And any food that a completely satiated person still craves and could eat until they are in a food coma is not something they should dare topping up their 70g theoretical carb limit for the day because they cannot stop at 70g. Avoiding those particular things is the only way to control themselves, just as for alcoholics and drug addicts. There is still plenty of variety to eat, but people should know their personal triggers, intolerances, etc. Avoiding certain things gives some people the piece of mind and self control that they lose if they consume; it does not make them crazy.

I noticed that he is finally admitting that his beloved protein powders are highly processed so some people may not want to use them. I wonder if he will ever consider that instead of eating more protein or carbs to sustain long periods of frenetic exercise, some people should cut back on frenetic exercise or weightlifting that creates overdeveloped muscles not needed for daily living.

deirdra - excellent comments and observations. I use Naiman's concepts loosely, and have done so for several years. His P:E concepts are solid. "Loosely" for Naiman and Kendall is appropriate, as sometimes I feel they both need to put on some years (get older) to experience the metabolic evolution one goes through to fully understand how to manage an eating lifestyle over a lifetime. Love them both for key contributions, but SPC is one that must be personally managed and does not apply evenly to all. You can blithely state that "low carb" or "keto" (in its purest, higher fat, definition) aren't the answers, but for many of us, low carb was and continues to be the gateway to metabolic health. It's enabled me to eliminate food addictions that I developed over time and never had earlier in my life.
  #365   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-23, 08:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I follow Marty Kendall’s general principles but have not found his specific food advice useful, in large part because he doesn’t pay much attention to food sensitivities, of which I have many, but also because i must remain low carb to keep the food binges at bay. I guess I have been doing this long enough that I can figure out how to adjust my eating to reflect my own requirements.
  #366   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-23, 06:48

Another good podcast interview with Dr Ted Naiman with
Max Lagavere
https://www.maxlugavere.com/podcast/318

318: Why a High-Protein Diet is Key for Easy Fat Loss, Plus Why I Cut Back on Olive Oil | Ted Naiman, MD

Summary of Episode includes many resource links to the studies and conclusions used in the interview. Nice feature not every podcaster offers.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-25-23 at 04:26.
  #367   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-23, 07:15

Now that HAVA has some of its new Satiety scoring available, and Marty Kendall is making his satiety food infographics easier to use, I listened to the last (sadly) Diet Doctor podcast with Dr Ted Naiman. No hint as to when and interviewer the new podcast will start.

Satiety: the path to healthy weight loss .
Dr. Ted Naiman explains satiety and how it can help you succeed with long-term healthy weight loss — and why it may be the secret to your success

https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/po...thy-weight-loss

This explanation is so good, how to do both Low carb and low fat. How to get more micro nutrients and exercise for a healthier weight loss. You can use any diet pattern; carnivore, ….there are healthy ways to increase satiety and weight loss.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-27-23 at 04:19.
  #368   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-23, 04:51

Realized this podcast from Mikki Williden also belongs on this Dr Naiman thread.

Dr Naiman offers clear concise descriptions of Insulin Resistance, Personal Fat Threshold, Blood Markers (why fasting insulin is less useful than LC doctors claimed) and more. https://podcast.mikkiwilliden.com/164

Starting at minute 51, he explains in great detail how The P:E Diet has merged into the all encompassing Satiety Per Calorie. The four components to SPC (protein, energy, fiber, hedonic factor). explain the success of every diet on earth, why 20 TC is harder to do in the real world, and how SPC does work in the real world. (Ratios! Eat the fresh, fall apple after a meal of Protein and Vegetables) Or eat 3 oz of carrots (35 cal.) not the 3 oz of pepperoni (430 calories) or 3 oz of beef stick (240 cal)

Mikki asked about the Twitter backlash to SPC. Why anyone in any camp (LC, LF, vegan) has to overcome their cognitive bias. If LC explains all obesity, then how does the world have millions of healthy people eating high carb? Ted himself was strapped down to the Dunning-Kruger Effect with keto , but now this model is anti-fragile, it encompasses all diet approaches and if something else works, it will be incorporated.

If anyone is going to try HAVA, this last part, only 27 minutes long, is a great explanation how it works, and why it worked for weight loss and continues to work so well for me in maintenance. By following both Dr Naiman and Marty Kendall (his contribution is explained near end) I have in effect been doing the HAVA SPC approach for 3 years. This will be easier with one SPC score, but either way works.

Quote:
Mikki speaks to Dr Ted Neiman, science communicator and whole food diet expert, all about protein and satiety. They talk about how Ted became interested in nutrition (from a vegetarian background) and how his patients opened his eyes to the various ways which with we could use diet to arrive at optimal health outcomes. They discuss how Ted’s approach has evolved from protein:energy ratio to encompass much more around satiety related to other factors (fibre, micronutrients, and the hedonic nature of food). Ted outlines the satiety per calorie index (his new book is focused on) and why this could be the best tool to determine the best approach with regards to food (as they iron out a few wrinkles). They also discuss the biomarkers that Ted is most interested in when ordering tests for his patients, personal fat threshold and how this relates to health, and other topics which are in the realm of metabolic health. An insightful conversation!

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-24-23 at 07:32.
  #369   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-23, 04:06

318: Why a High-Protein Diet is Key for Easy Fat Loss, Plus Why I Cut Back on Olive Oil | Ted Naiman, MD

Summary of Episode includes many resource links to the studies and conclusions used in the interview. Nice feature not every podcaster offers. https://thegeniuslife.libsyn.com/31...n-ted-naiman-md

Starting around Minute 44, a good explanation of why after meal glucose can "spike" when eating few carbs and why waking BG is often slightly high in Long term low carbers. Why it is better to remain "metabolically flexible" rather than have a diet so fragile "one blueberry" sends you into the diabetic range. It Includes a good explanation of how the High Carb "Mastering Diabetes " plan also works. This section explains why the classic Carbohydrates-Insulin model is dead, and how it can be adjusted to account for holding back the energy in fat cells.

#370   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-23, 08:37

Restarted this Genius Life podcast while driving, and near the beginning, starting at minute 13, is Dr Naiman's complete explanation of satiety using the difference between chicken and chicken nuggets. It includes the P:E ratio, protein amount, refined oils and carbs, energy density, nutrient density, and even the hedonic factor. A few minutes using a practical example and the effect of processing changes the satiety from high to very low.

Entire podcast covers Dr Naiman's tips and Satiety Per Calorie and Why a High Protein diet is Key to Sustained Fat Loss.
https://thegeniuslife.libsyn.com/31...n-ted-naiman-md

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-17-23 at 10:59.
  #371   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-24, 08:32

Post above from Dr Naiman plus:
"We low carbers don’t like to admit it, but now that 91% of Americans are overfat—with *saturated fat* I might add—eating more saturated fat is probably dumb? 🤷🏽‍♂️"

An earlier related post:
"Sure, ignore calories—they are an arbitrary human-made construct. But then I suggest you write your own diet book entitled ’Satiety Per Ingested Carbon Atom’. Because those suckers are only leaving your body when you oxidize them in your mitochondria and exhale them as CO2. 😁"

The Weight Loss Version of his P:E Diet is still at https://energytoxicity.com/. I started be eating everything on the Tips tab when I didn’t yet know what I was doing with Nutrients, but this infographic food list worked just as well.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-08-24 at 03:59.
  #372   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-24, 22:24

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi Janet! I haven’t popped in for so long and need to do so more often! Thanks for keeping the thread alive!!
  #373   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-24, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Hi Janet! I haven’t popped in for so long and need to do so more often! Thanks for keeping the thread alive!!

Where have u been? I hope somewhere fun! I’m loving your meals/recipes on Twitter…don’t forget us here too. There is also a HAVA thread in General Low Carb where you could place a super satiety score food.
I have to thank you/blame you for my new Catalina Crunch habit…just a handful on top of some LF yogurt/cottage cheese concoction. Instead of nuts..a win. Thanks!
  #374   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-24, 21:03

BF:

Oh sorry-I just forget since I hang out on Twitter. I’m still working for a living too, LOL.

I have been more focusing on exercise than diet since the diet is dialed in. I am a very poor physical specimen, LOL. I STILL can’t do a stinkin’ pull up. So I bought a Total Gym on some super sale on QVC a while back. Someone on Facebook pointed me to it and I got it for 6 hundred something, still a lot, but it had a lot of attachments.

I hate the pulley cables and don’t use them at all. I attached handle bars at the top and the bottom, so I can do pull ups at the top, press ups at the bottom, all while on the bench (on my stomach). I also have crunch attachments and dips attachments. Those are meh. I can do crunches with my exercise ball(in a tuck position). The dip bars don’t work well on your back,people say it is bad for the back or something, so I do those on my stomach, but that is a fringe exercise.

Squats aren’t great on it, I have to do one legged squats and use the weight bar to add resistance bands to the press up bar (I think my press up bar is for something else, it has double bars. I pulled the thick pad off so I can have two positions for press ups.

Oh the resistance bands are unofficial. Sliding Bench Trainer does it in a different way than I do. He says do it at your own risk.

I follow Sliding Bench Trainer a little on YouTube. He shows how to leverage a Total Gym for bodybuilding. He also featured someone that manufactures excellent, long-lasting wheels. If you actually use it, which most people never will, the wheels wear out quickly. They’re cheap plastic crap.

Oh I forgot-after I bought it, I found out a bazillion people are trying to get rid of theirs for free or a song. Something to consider-

I have the “Ultimate Fit” or something like that. It has 15 levels. The top level notch which makes the steepest incline means I am working with 50% of my body weight at 5’10”. I think it is a little different for people of different heights.

I was also doing HIIT rebounding, but in an unrelated incident, I sprained my ankle which won’t heal. The podiatrist says I have ankle arthritis and a degenerative situation from having so many falls (one ankle break, broke the foot twice, countless sprains). I had to give the mini trampoline away, but I got it for free on a Buy Nothing Group. It was a super nice one too.

I am contemplating going back to the rower more often. I don’t do HIIT rowing like I used to, because costochondritis. I didn’t even connect that to rowing, I am so dumb sometimes. Dr Naiman had to point that out to me, LOL.

Anyway,that’s what has been going on. Next project is to declutter the house. I need to start downsizing. I’m going to retire sometime so I should be doing this!

Do you do much exercise, Janet?.
  #375   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-24, 23:43

BF:

I think this video is from 2010 or so. It was up on his old “Burn Fat Not Sugar” website before it was up on YouTube. I used to post it to the old low carb friends forum back in the day.

Very motivating!

https://youtu.be/RlYXb1xs86U?si=hbb8BK5EkpUkFDX6

He recommends simple “Push, Pull, Squat” routines.