Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 03:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

The 20 carbs on Atkins is only for the first 2 weeks...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-14, 05:33

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

A lot of people stay at 20gm for longer than the initial 2 weeks. I did that when I did Atkins. I have issues that if I don't keep my carbs very low I tend to crave them and go overboard.

Right now I am going to try to cut back pretty far on carbs because of my Diabetes. I have been getting an itchy red rash lately and from what I've read online, that is a side effect of one of my Diabetes pills. I have been taking more than usual lately. I'm going to try very hard to cut way back on carbs so I don't have to take it, to see if this rash clears up. I have a DR appointment on Nov 6 and if I conclude that the meds are causing the rash I will discuss a change with my doctor.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-14, 09:30

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Carolsue,
My husband suddenly found out his blood sugar was really high so he has joined me on Adkins. For the most part he eats No sugar and carbs only in the form of veggies. He is doing very well and on the high end stays at 130-140 BS now.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-14, 09:48
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Count me in on this moderate low carb journey. I find that I live in the 60-125 grams a day.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-14, 12:41

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

For some reason, I thought that if WASN'T staying at or below 20 per day as is suggested on Atkins induction, then I wasn't low carb. I am glad that was clarified. My carbs are in the form of veggies, occasionally winter squash or corn and occasional fruit for the most part. I will buy Low Carb tortillas now and again too.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-14, 13:16
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugujo
For some reason, I thought that if WASN'T staying at or below 20 per day as is suggested on Atkins induction, then I wasn't low carb. I am glad that was clarified. My carbs are in the form of veggies, occasionally winter squash or corn and occasional fruit for the most part. I will buy Low Carb tortillas now and again too.

Hi,
I can tell you that below 20 is definitely not the only way to do low carb and have success.
I do try to avoid foods that are made from ground flour though as flour items can be a trigger for me to not stop eating.
I eat lots of veggies, a little fruit and some starch in the form of a sushi roll and a rye cracker. I love avocadoes and have to limit my how much of them I eat as they are calorie dense. A small amount of nuts, cheese and no sugar added fudgsicles.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-14, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

enjoy reading all the posts here; it is a personal journey for all of us and we still want to enjoy our lives even though we have decided to try to moderate our food intake. i am still going between 72 and 60 carbs and have lost 33 pounds so far. it has been a slow trip for me but then many things go slower at my age (69) lol and love to you all!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-14, 15:56

Dottie, I agree, it is a personal journey. I believe that each person just needs to experiment. I understand how at the beginning of the journey much feedback and guidance is requested and needed. However, I also feel that a person needs to take on some responsibility and make adjustments as needed as they proceed along their journey.

Nothing ruffles my feathers more than comments I have seen on various blogs, pages, boards etc. as in is it ok to eat and fill in the blank. You decide based on how your body responds if it is ok. I don't like anything written in stone LOL. Call me a rebel
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

My plan is 60 net carbs per day or under, 50 g of fat and between 60-80 grams of protein. Some days it's hard to stay within the fat limits, some days it's hard to stay within the carb limits. It's a rarity for me to get both just right. I have to plan meals so carefully.

I find 60 net carbs to be so little. I guess comparing to what I used to eat it is. Somehow I maintained my weight the way I used to eat, but my triglycerides, cholesterol and glucose were too high.

I'm trying to count my crap every day faithfully. I don't have the same motivation that I had the first time I did this (and lost 45 lbs) a few years ago. Again, my diet has taken a total turn and I don't like it compared to my old ways of eating.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 17:16

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthebird
My plan is 60 net carbs per day or under, 50 g of fat and between 60-80 grams of protein.
That's like 1000 calories a day. are you very tiny and sedentary?

If not, and you are way undereating, you have my sympathy. I wouldn't like that either and would not have motivation.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 19:53

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay

If not, and you are way undereating, you have my sympathy. I wouldn't like that either and would not have motivation.

I was thinking the same thing..wheres the food? Seems low on protein for what I eat, to be honest. If it works for you, then it's working, but it would not work for me..lol.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 07:23
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay

You're right. It does turn out to be around 1000 calories many days. I'm not tiny at all. I'm a med-large boned 5'6.5" woman currently at 154 lbs. This is what the dietitian prescribed.

I'll admit that I no longer go to the dietitian. I don't know if she would adjusted the limits at all. Ideally I'd like to reach 142 or 145. I'd be quite slim at those weights and look good in a bathing suit. [I'm not trying to be model thin.]

My main goal is to lower my blood test results rather than lose a lot of weight. I'll admit I DID eat too many carbs before I started back on this. Once I get to the point where I no longer wish to lose weight I'm going to try to stop "counting" and just eliminate the typical starchy sides and put dessert in it's proper place.

I am sedentary. Incorporating exercise into my life is important. I need to try harder.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 08:00

Sounds like lowering the Triglycerides regardless of your weight sounds like a good goal.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 10:26

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthebird
My main goal is to lower my blood test results rather than lose a lot of weight. I'll admit I DID eat too many carbs before I started back on this. Once I get to the point where I no longer wish to lose weight I'm going to try to stop "counting" and just eliminate the typical starchy sides and put dessert in it's proper place.

I am sedentary. Incorporating exercise into my life is important. I need to try harder.
Would you be okay with fixing your blood test results, if it meant down-regulating and slowing your metabolism? That's what can happen with longish-term and such a large calorie deficit unfortunately.

If you went for a more fat and protein grams you might get the best of all worlds. The right carbs for easy fat burning, enough fat for healthy metabolism, and enough protein for healthy lean mass.

I wrecked my metabolism with undereating and it took a loooooong time to fix. Months. i would never do that again. To the point of sticking with a small calorie deficit even though it slows down fat loss.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

HI Ladies! I just found you all here, discussing this and it's hitting home with me right now. I'm toying with the idea of upping my carbs, after a long road of <25 carbs/day. This worked in the beginning. But not any more. I've really mentally struggled with all of the stalls and even gains while adhering strictly to my woe, that I end up derailing and taking weeks to get back on track. It's been a big roller coaster ride. I think my biggest issue is I just keep doing the same things over and over, but expect different results.

I've spent some time reading "The Primal Blueprint", "The Sugar Impact Diet", and researching some others that advocate a slightly higher carb level (between 50 and 100 grams per day for weight loss).

My issue with raising carbs, is that my cravings come back with a vengeance very quickly, and my willpower is non-existent. I discovered this while trying to climb the OWL ladder on Atkins. So, my logic was to just avoid the cravings and potential slips off of my WOE by staying VLC while still in weight loss mode. It worked, for a while. But not any more. This is wreaking havoc on my emotional relationship with myself, and my ability to be successful....ugh. There's a whole lot of stuff happening in my head, if you're interested it's all spelled out in my journal.

I've also been reading a lot about long term VLC eventually raising BG and having the opposite effects we want, for SOME people. There is currently another thread discussing this that I find interesting. I have been LCing for nearly 4 years, VLC for the majority of that time (when I wasn't face-down in some popcorn or something....), and I have a girlfriend who has been LC for 8 years, and stayed VLC because of cravings and willpower issues like me, who has experienced some weight gain and BS problems. She is DILIGENT though - she doesn't cheat. And she closely monitors her blood sugars because she is diabetic (though not on any meds any longer - but she'd like to keep it that way!). After raising her carbs up to around 60 per day she's starting to re-lose the 15 lbs she put back on, and her blood sugars are stabilizing again. So maybe there's weight to this for SOME PEOPLE??

Sorry for the long post! At this point, while I'd love to lose another 30 lbs or so, I'd just be happy with myself if I could adhere to a plan long term that didn't leave me feeling either deprived or extremely disappointed with my own inability to find my groove and stick to it because of a lack of results