Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 16:54

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Which zinc supplement to take?

which one is most absorbable that is?

I have first taken gluconate which had only 14% absorbtion according to the many sources online . This would translate to 50mg zinc tablet resulting in 7mg absorbtion. Now I am on Zinc Citrate but I can't find any sources on its exact absorbtion . Which one is the most effective though? I have also have something called "hpv chelated zinc" and I never heard of it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 19:52

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/208/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 81%

I have heard the chelated mineral supplements are the best but have no personal experience to give you.
hth Melissa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 11:28

BF:
Progress:

googling there is controversy about effectiveness about chelated minerals. I guess I will find out. I am now taking zinc citrate but I am not feeling it unlike zinc picolinate which made me totally throw up when I overtook 3 capsules or if I took it in the morning. So far zinc citrate has no reaction whatsoever even when I take 4 capsules which is not good as far as I know.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 17:58

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

You might want to check out this thread -

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=411830

I don't know whether it's applicable in your situation, but thought I'd mention it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 06:25

BF:
Progress:

Zinc is non toxic and present in all parts of our body while Copper is toxic in bigger amounts. From what I have read the tiny amounts of copper needed can be gotten from copper in water pipes and thus in water, cookware, jewellery and other non food items. Copper is highly associated with many mental diseases and because it's so easy to overload with it I don't see a point in supplementing with it
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 07:27

BF:
Progress:

this is a really good stuff on Copper toxicity, it's pretty bold and I can't say there is much fact behind it but it would explain a whole lot of things
http://www.healingedge.net/store/ar...r_toxicity.html

Quote:
Physical conditions associated with copper imbalance include arthritis, fatigue, adrenal burnout, insomnia, scoliosis, osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer, migraine headaches, seizures, fungal and bacterial infections including yeast infection, gum disease, tooth decay, skin and hair problems and female organ conditions including uterine fibroids, endometriosis and others.

Mental and emotional disorders related to copper imbalance include spaciness, depression, mood swings, fears, anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, violence, autism, schizophrenia, and attention deficit disorder.

Copper functions as a psychological defense mechanism. It causes one to detach slightly from reality.

many men have symptoms of copper toxicity including depression, anxiety and other symptoms.Homosexuality may be related to copper levels.

Women also have more symptoms related to copper imbalance. These include yeast infections, migraine headaches, adult acne, various menstrual symptoms and depression.

the rise in tissue copper levels in both men and women in the past twenty years parallels renewed interest in feminism, in psychic and intuitive knowledge, and 'nurturing' movements such as environmentalism

Excess copper interferes with zinc, a mineral needed to make digestive enzymes. Too much copper also impairs thyroid activity and the functioning of the liver. If severe enough, a person will become an obligatory vegetarian. This means they are no longer able to digest meat very well. Conversely, if one becomes a vegetarian for other reasons, most likely one's copper level will increase. Vegetarian proteins are higher in copper, and lower in zinc.

Many people, including the author, felt they were becoming more spiritual on a vegetarian diet, when in fact it was just copper poisoning! The taste for meat often returns when copper is brought into better balance

Some people with high copper dislike all protein. They crave high-carbohydrate diets. Protein feels heavy or causes other symptoms. Eating protein stimulates glandular activity. This releases stored copper which causes the symptoms. However, these individuals usually need to eat protein. The symptoms will eventually disappear.Copper-toxic individuals may also be drawn to sweets or salty foods due to adrenal insufficiency.

Compulsive behavior may be related to copper and the adrenals. Exercise, for example, stimulates the adrenals. This helps keep copper available and makes one feel better. If one stops exercising, unbound copper builds up and one may feel fatigue, mood swings and depression