Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-10, 15:27

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Question Magnesium Citrate,chelated and oxide

I got some Mag. Oxide and why ( not to take before talking with your Doc. what is going on ? a little help and your take please.

Do not take magnesium amino acids chelate without first talking to your doctor if you have kidney disease.

Before taking magnesium amino acids chelate, tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, allergies, or if you take other medicines or other herbal/health supplements. Magnesium amino acids chelate may not be recommended in some situations.
It is not known whether magnesium amino acids chelate will harm an unborn baby. Do not take magnesium amino acids chelate without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. It is not known whether magnesium amino acids chelate will harm an nursing baby. Do not take magnesium amino acids chelate without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

I got Magnesium oxide 400 mg do I take them back ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-10, 17:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

The purpose of the chelation of magnesium is to help the body to better recognize this mineral as food. That makes it easier to absorb and digest. Here is what I found on both magnesium supplements. I use the chelated magnesium and have had no digestive issues with it at all. Actually, if you have kidney disease or pregnant you should always first discuss taking any form of magnesium. But if you are healthy, I would take the mag oxide...see how your body tolerates it then go from there. That is just my opinion.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5641235_m...um-chelate.html
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 02:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Bioavailability of US commercial magnesium preparations.Results indicated relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide (fractional absorption 4 per cent) but significantly higher and equivalent bioavailability of magnesium chloride, magnesium lactate and magnesium aspartate. We conclude that there is relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide, but greater and equivalent bioavailability of magnesium chloride, lactate, and aspartate.

Other results show that magnesium chloride is probably one of the best.

Krsipin suggests that Magnesium chelates are the most reliable These Doctors Best High Absorption are approved by Consumerlabs.

Magnesium Malate is a slightly cheaper option.

Magnesium Citrate is OK it tends to be recommended particularly to those who wish to benefit from magnesium's hygroscopic (water absorbing, laxative) properties which implies less magnesium is absorbed than from the malate version.

Magnesium is extremely important in relation to both calcium and vitamin D. These things work together. Vitamin D increases the uptake of both calcium and magnesium from the diet but whereas people eating dairy and veggies will probably have ample sources of calcium, (up to 1200mg required daily) MOST people WILL NOT get sufficient magnesium from the diet. 68% of US adults are below the RDA and the magnesium RDA is about half the ideal.

I've linked to Krispin site. LOOK at her formula and then work out your daily requirement and take a form of magnesium that is known to be effective.

Bear in mind UPTAKE of magnesium is BEST WHEN TAKEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS WITH EACH MEAL OF THE DAY. so don't take it all at one spread it out.

Many people find drinking magnesium rich mineral water is the best way of absorbing magnesium Here's how to MAKE YOUR OWN MAGNESIUM water

While of course it is true the when you are taking medicines you should check for potential drug interactions It's also common sense to understand that magnesium is a NATURAL CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKER, and therefore people taking a prescribed calcium channel blocker may well need discuss the matter with their doctor with regard to adjusting their medication. Remember there are over 300enzyme actions dependent on have adequate magnesium levels, most of us are deficient and correcting that deficiency will inevitably lead to fewer prescriptions being needed for drug alternatives.

Those new to IHERB $5 discount code ~~~~~~. US readers may find Vitacost cheaper (depending on postage) for the Doctors Best magnesium chelate. IHERB's cheap shipping makes them cheapest to UK. UK readers remember orders £17+ (before postage) gets taxed and our PO adds £8 ransom demand to collect £3.50.
I'm currently using magnesium malate, but I think next order I'll try the Doctors Best magnesium chelate (Albion). I also throw a jugful of magnesium chloride in my bathwater and I'm playing with the idea of DIY magnesium water.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 08:59

Plan: HighFat/LC
Stats: 160/158/135 Female 5' 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks for the article on how to make your own magnesium water. I am going to try it since I drink carbonated water anyway.

I had bad luck with magnesium citrate in terms of it giving me very loose stools. I thought it meant that I didn't need to supplement- until I read more about it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 10:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Magnesium oxide is the sort they use to make you poop because it's so poorly absorbed so your body pulls water into the intestines to flush it out. Of course, it takes a pretty big dose, like 1000-1500 mg to work.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 19:26

Plan: Vegetaian Low Carb
Stats: 318/294.6/115 Female 64
BF:Over 65%
Progress: 12%

Epsom Salts are magnesium and easily absorbed through the skin. So minimal chance of digestion problems -and- it makes the skin feel wonderful!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 02:51
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Magnesium Chloride Dead Sea Salts can also be used transdermally and is possibly cheaper if you source a 25kg bag from suppliers to farmers or horse owners.

You can throw it in the bath water and soak for 20mins or just use a foot spa (or bowl of water) and soak your feet while you post online.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 05:44

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

thanks for all info guys (-: Ron*
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-10, 11:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Magnesium is definitely a mineral that my body needs. I have ben testing various forms to figure out which is best for me. I must admit that I don't want to take magnesium oxide, but so far it has been the chelated mag oxide that has been working the best at managing healthy glucose levels. Right now I am trying a mag citrate powder that you make a "hot tea" with it. I don't think that I am absorbing it well cuz it makes me "go". However, I have been out of glucose testing strips so I can't test to check my glucose levels yet to figure out if I am absorbing it. I bet people at the grocery store think that I purchased it because I'm "backed up". Afterall, I had a shopping cart full of low carb goodness. Well, anyway I will continue to use it until I have had the chance to test my blood glucose in a few days.