Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 09:03

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 230/219/155
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Will Keep On Course....

Yes I am taking a multi-vitamin, L-Glutamine & Chromium, I drink several glasses of water a day. The veggies are a different issue. I have not been eating many of them. I will try the veggies.

I guess I have been listening to my mother and family that worry when I eat bacon, pig skins, butter and all of the red meat.
They are concerned about my health. My mother has also noticed the fatigue I have had. When I picked up that book yesterday I lost all confidence in the diet. It is so confusing to know what will be healthy in the long term and what will not. The book really made my brain spin.

But I appreciate the suggestions! I will keep on track and introduce veggies! I love them, so it should not be a problem.

Do you think I need to add any additional supplaments?

Thanks again for the information.

Texas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 09:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I think that additional potassium and magnesium are helpful - there usually isn't very much of them in multi vitamins. The Eades have a whole chapter on magnesium in the Protein Power LifePlan.
In the beginning, it is really difficult having to deal with all the friends and family that try to tell us how "unhealthy" this WOE is. A good friend of mine gave me the lecture last week. I told him to read DANDR or PPLP and then I would listen to he lecture. He read the first 5 chapters of DANDR and started the diet himself!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

While I'm not exactly the "LC poster girl", I believe I have completely changed my life for the better with low-carbing.

My energy is consistent. I am no longer dependent upon sugar to get me through the day and to give me those horrible highs and lows. My skin has cleared up and I am finding peace with my relationship to food - the hows and whys of what I eat.

Atkins Induction does throw you for a loop. It does seem like lots of protein and this is the way it has to be to start to sever the ties of carb addiction. Fatigue, headaches etc. are part of carb withdrawal. You're dependent upon them for energy, so when they go, you're body has to switch to using stored fat for energy. Later, you can adjust the way you eat to make sure you're getting adequate protein and fat. Not excessive, but adequate.

You have a choice: to forever be slave to a carrot muffin, a piece of chocolate or a dish of macaroni and cheese, or to look at LC in terms of overall health and changing habits for the better. LC does go against conventional "wisdom", but so did the telephone, the light bulb and the computer you're sitting in front of.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-01, 15:55

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 230/219/155
BF:
Progress:
Talking Not A Quitter

Thanks for all of your support. I guess that is what this group is all about...

I decided to stay on track. I added more veggies to my diet and have found more energy. I have not lost in a couple of weeks but I have not gained either!! The Glass is half full....

I really find the diet easy to stick with so I will suceed..My goal is to become a more healthy individual before by 40th B-Day so I have almost a year.

Thanks again for your support!!

Texas