Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 10:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/143/120 Female 154cm
BF:34%/32%/20%
Progress: 26%
Default Supplements & pregnancy

We are considering trying for another baby, and I am just wondering if it is safe to continue with my current supplements, and/or if there is anything else I should be considering? I currently take:

D3 - 5000IU
Multivitamin/mineral - fairly comprehensive
B complex (100% of everything) - so got my folic acid covered here.
CoQ10 - can't remember the dose

I have ordered but not started taking yet:

Magnesium 400mg
Omega 3 liquid
Vitamin C 1000mg time release

Any comments or suggestions gratefully received!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 13:23
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

It looks good. The only thing I would add would be some calcium and a little more magnesium. You might want to consider upping your vitamin D a little since you're planning to get pregnant.

How long have you been on 5,000 IU vitamin D? Do you know what your level is?

I ask because D3 is vitally important in fetal development and a safe, healthy outcome for both mother and infant.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Circulating 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels in Fully Breastfed Infants shows 6,400 IU vitamin D3 tablets/daily was required at latitude 32 to provide vitamin D replete breast milk.
As 10,000iu daily would be produced from full body sun exposure this modest amount seems reasonable. But as Zuleikaa suggests a 25(OH)D test would confirm if your a high/low responder
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/143/120 Female 154cm
BF:34%/32%/20%
Progress: 26%

Thank you very much for the replies. I have also ordered some D3 drops (2000IU) which I was going to give to the kids with the omega 3 liquid. I could add a drop of this for myself as well which would bring it up to 7,000IU. Or double up on the 5000IU tablets. I have never had my levels tested, but live in the UK and don't spend much time outside, so am quite likely to be low. I have been taking 5000IU very sporadically (2-3 times a week?) for a few months.

Calcium I probably will need. I don't eat much dairy (it doesn't really agree with me - possible intolerance). A bit of cream or cheddar cheese in cooking occaisionally. I might need to rethink this in pregnancy and introduce yogurt or something. I do eat quite a lot of green veg - broccolli, cabbage etc. I do have a calcium supplement that I haven't been taking recently. It also has D3 and magnesium and a few other minerals in it, so I can start taking that too.

http://www.vitabiotics.com/osteocar...et_formula.aspx

Can I take too much magnesium? I will have it as a separate tablet (400mg chelated) and also in my multi and in the calcium formula. Maybe I should stop taking the multi?

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 07:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by terque
Thank you very much for the replies. I have also ordered some D3 drops (2000IU) which I was going to give to the kids with the omega 3 liquid. I could add a drop of this for myself as well which would bring it up to 7,000IU. Or double up on the 5000IU tablets. I have never had my levels tested, but live in the UK and don't spend much time outside, so am quite likely to be low. I have been taking 5000IU very sporadically (2-3 times a week?) for a few months.

Calcium I probably will need. I don't eat much dairy (it doesn't really agree with me - possible intolerance). A bit of cream or cheddar cheese in cooking occaisionally. I might need to rethink this in pregnancy and introduce yogurt or something. I do eat quite a lot of green veg - broccolli, cabbage etc. I do have a calcium supplement that I haven't been taking recently. It also has D3 and magnesium and a few other minerals in it, so I can start taking that too.

http://www.vitabiotics.com/osteocar...et_formula.aspx

Can I take too much magnesium? I will have it as a separate tablet (400mg chelated) and also in my multi and in the calcium formula. Maybe I should stop taking the multi?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the other information.

Given what you've said, I definitely recommend 10,000 IU/day of vitamin D3 starting as soon as possible, for at least 4 months, and possibly throughout your pregnancy as well. After the 4 months, the D3 can be reduced to 5,000 IU/day but I recommend 10,000 IU throughout pregnancy given your resident location and sporadic D3 intake.

You can split your magnesium dose to take it throughout the day. I wouldn't omit any.