Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 14:15

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%
Default Biotin for anyone?

I have recently noticed that after washing my hair or brushing it that it seems to be falling out more....I am already on thyroid meds, so I know that it is not my thyroid....Just this week after having it colored my stylist said yes it was coming out some, but not alot and it did not seem to be thinning any, but I am still concerned...She also stated she sees it with women who loose weight and are on very low carb and recommended taking some biotin if i was concerned...Just curious if anyone has any experience with this...Thanks...Stacy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 05:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

BIOTIN Vitamin B7 insufficiency was picked out as one of the micronutrients most likely to be missing from the 4 diet plans (Atkins for Life diet, The South Beach Diet, the DASH diet, The Best Life Diet) considered.

Bear in mind that they used amounts suggested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administrations (FDA) RDI guidelines appropriate for healthy adult men and women and those who have studied the needs for vitamin D and magnesium would like to see these raised to help prevent many chronic conditions.
Quote:
Analysis revealed that the Atkins for Life diet was (44.44%) sufficient, delivered 100% RDI sufficiency for 12 out of 27 essential micronutrients and contained 1,786 calories.
The Best Life Diet was (55.56%) sufficient, delivered 100% of the RDI for 15 out of 27 essential micronutrients and contained 1,793 calories.
The DASH diet was (51.85%) sufficient, delivered 100% of the RDI for 14 out of 27 essential micronutrients and contained 2,217 calories.
Lastly, The South Beach Diet was (22.22%) sufficient, delivered 100% RDI
sufficiency for 6 out of 27 essential micronutrients and contained 1,197 calories

Quote:
six micronutrients were consistently deficient or non-existent within all four diet plans.
These micronutrients were vitamin B7 (biotin), vitamin D, vitamin E,
Cr (chromium), I (iodine), and Mo (molybdenum).

With regards to VITAMIN D there is NO POSSIBILITY THAT ANY MODERN DIET could provide adequate amounts of vitamin D3. The way eskimos survived the long winter and averaging 6~7000iu/daily was by fermenting vitamin D3 rich foods in seal oil for winter use, The best anyone could do nowdays using supermarket foods is achieve around 400iu/daily if they ate a portion of oily fish daily.
Vitamin D3 is made in the skin during UVB exposure and skin makes 10,000~20,000iu given 10~20-minutes full body prone nonburning midday sun exposure. But we can make do with roughly 1000iu/daily per 25lbs we currently weigh.

IODINE or Kelp powder

BIOTIN

Chromium

Vitamin E natural complex

As molybdenum can be obtained from you drinking water if you live in a hard water area and I'm not sure the researchers considered calcium/magnesium/molybdenum intakes from drinking water rather than just the food in the diet they measured, I don't worry about that.

I've provided examples from IHERB as their shipping to UK is cheapest. Use code ~~~~~~ to save $5 initially. UK readers keep order value under £18 or pay VAT + £8 Post Office handling charge. Other readers may find the same products cheaper at Vitacost Swanson's Amazon etc, depending on local shipping costs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 07:17

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

The Op is on prescription Vitamin D. Also iodine is a no go for those on thyroid meds especially those with Hashi's-it could worsen this condition. A diseased thyroid can't process the incoming iodine-a good analogy is like putting gasoline in a car with no engine.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 11:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
The Op is on prescription Vitamin D.
Vitamin D2 Is Much Less Effective than Vitamin D3 in Humans
The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement

50,000iu Biotech Pharmacal Cholecalciferol is readily available and as it's form humans use will correct status faster, more reliably for less cost and is safer. By using cholecalciferol you end the potential problems surrounding the need to convert from D2 to D3 before the active vitamin D hormones calcidiol/calcitriol production.

Quote:
Also iodine is a no go for those on thyroid meds especially those with Hashi's-it could worsen this condition.
The point of showing the six most common nutrient deficiencies that are most likely following particular weight loss plans was to focus attention on the most likely deficiencies.
Obviously you should select from that list those you consider most relevant in your particular case.

The fact you are taking prescription vitamin D and not the human form is not evidence you are vitamin D replete or your body is able to use the form of vitamin D2 prescribed. The sooner you change to the human form the better.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 19:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement

50,000iu Biotech Pharmacal Cholecalciferol is readily available and as it's form humans use will correct status faster, more reliably for less cost and is safer. By using cholecalciferol you end the potential problems surrounding the need to convert from D2 to D3 before the active vitamin D hormones calcidiol/calcitriol production.

The point of showing the six most common nutrient deficiencies that are most likely following particular weight loss plans was to focus attention on the most likely deficiencies.
Obviously you should select from that list those you consider most relevant in your particular case.

The fact you are taking prescription vitamin D and not the human form is not evidence you are vitamin D replete or your body is able to use the form of vitamin D2 prescribed. The sooner you change to the human form the better.

Sorry Hutchinson you've quoted the evils of prescription D2 at me before and again I say bs for many of us. Presciption Vit D2 has not hurt me and pulls your levels up quicker than the D3 as per the Vitamin D Council's info. I suffer no ill health from it and my levels are now within normal ranges-I do supplement with super D clo also.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 02:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Sorry Hutchinson you've quoted the evils of prescription D2 at me before and again I say bs for many of us. Presciption Vit D2 has not hurt me and pulls your levels up quicker than the D3 as per the Vitamin D Council's info. I suffer no ill health from it and my levels are now within normal ranges-I do supplement with super D clo also.
I hear what you say but other readers should study the evidence
there is also the cost issue
Biotech pharmacal Cholecalciferol 50,000iu x 100 below $30
Drisdol ergocalciferol more than $120

I don't understand the logic of paying more for a synthetic version, wiith a shorter life in the body, which many people are unable to convert to the active form and when they do try to use it the conversion is only a third of that compared to the natural product.

You are mistaken in claiming The Vitamin D council says D2 pulls up your 25(OH)D levels quicker than D3.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 15:04

BF:

It isn't more expensive it's $4 for the prescription. And it works great for me in getting my Vitamin D levels up there and no I'm not sick, my head isn't spinning round in circles and I'm not spewing pea soup.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-10, 15:07

BF:

Quote:
It isn't more expensive it's $4 for the prescription and it is kosher too. And it works great for me in getting my Vitamin D levels up there and no I'm not sick, my head isn't spinning round in circles and I'm not spewing pea soup.

"Your body also metabolizes ergocalciferol more quickly than cholecalciferol."

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vita...rmacology.shtml
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 02:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
"Your body also metabolizes ergocalciferol more quickly than cholecalciferol."

I agree. If you look at the graph above you will see that in action.
The D2 is used up (or disposed of out of the body) much faster than with D3.
That is why is does more harm than good.
That is why some people using D2 get on an vicious spiral of escallating D2 consumption.
I've seen people reporting taking 200,000iu daily D2 and still not managing a decent 25(OH)D level.

We should use the form of vitamin D the body doesn't want to get out of our system as fast as possible. Not the one that leads to vitamin D self destruction.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 13:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I agree. If you look at the graph above you will see that in action.
The D2 is used up (or disposed of out of the body) much faster than with D3.
That is why is does more harm than good.
That is why some people using D2 get on an vicious spiral of escallating D2 consumption.
I've seen people reporting taking 200,000iu daily D2 and still not managing a decent 25(OH)D level.

We should use the form of vitamin D the body doesn't want to get out of our system as fast as possible. Not the one that leads to vitamin D self destruction.

Not the case at all for me-feeling fine, levels are good and doing well.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 16:59

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm you 2 lost me on the Vit D talk...lol...I know I take what my doc prescribes for me weekly and then I supplement daily on my own ( and yep she knows about my otc supplement)...I also have been taking 1000mcg daily of biotin daily since I wrote the post and hubby and I have both noticed less hair loss....so thanks and carry on with your debate as you all lost me somewhere..sorry
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 22:29

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Not the case at all for me-feeling fine, levels are good and doing well.

What are your levels BTW
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 22:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
What are your levels BTW

Currently at 60-the lowest was a 10 and that was misery.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 05:21

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Dr Bernstein recommends biotin with ALA. And its part of Insulow.

It seems to be helping her blood sugar levels - keeps them more stable.