Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 00:30

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default Christmas torte?

Karen,

Any ideas for a LC torte featuring say almond meal (natch) with a Xmas
twist? Trying to think up something for family meal on the day that will appeal to all..

Thanks,

Val
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think the almond cake from the tiramisu recipe works just great for making cakes.

Low carb Tiramisu recipe!

I cut it into circles using the bottom of a springform pan as a guide - use the scraps too! - and then layer it in the spring-form pan with some sort of filling. Lemon curd is good. You can take any lemon curd recipe and low-carb it by using a sugar sub and add a few slices of strawberries in between the layers. Or, fold melted chocolate and sweetener into whipped cream. Or use mascarpone or ricotta, lightened up with whipped cream and raspberries between the layers. Using orange zest and chocolate is pretty tasty.

Let the whole thing sit overnight then dust with cocoa or frost with more whipped cream. When I have to make a cake, I make some such variation on the above and people just love it.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 12:37.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:07

Thanks, I was thinking of one of those spectacular multi-layered tortes..if one were to make thinner cakes, perhaps doubling your almond cake recipe to make 4 thinner layers...would this be too heavy to achieve or are they light? I was thinking about how to 'Xmas'-it. Perhaps brandy flavored marscapone filling with lemon zest, alternated with orange-almond flavored marscapone?? Top with strawberries and kiwi fruit for colour. Sound like a good addition instead of the usual mincemeat pie or fruitcake? Suit our climate down here in Oz anyway, as Xmas day is generally pretty warm!!

Val
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 17:14
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking of one of those spectacular multi-layered tortes..if one were to make thinner cakes, perhaps doubling your almond cake recipe to make 4 thinner layers...would this be too heavy to achieve or are they light?
The cake is very light and it's less than 2.5 cm thick, around 1.2 cm is more like it. If you x 2 the recipe and use a 20 cm pan, you'll get over 7 layers of cake by using all the pieces. Alternate a pieced together layer with a whole one. Just make sure that the layer of filling isn't thicker than the layer of cake or the layers will tend to slide.

I would alternate a brandy - or rum layer - with a chocolate layer and pour ganache over the top. If you like hazelnuts, you can make the cake with ground hazelnuts and that would go fantastically with the flavour combination.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 21:11

I seem to remember making a torte in my youth in which one split round cake in half to make layers...so one would make two cakes and split them for 4 cake layers. Hazlenuts sound good too...although I am a fanatic for almond-orange flavour combo.
Adding a chocolate layer is a good idea.

Thanks...I'll take a photo if it turns out!

Val
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 21:51
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Thanks...I'll take a photo if it turns out!
I have no doubt that it will!

Karen