Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 14:41
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Kat, Dr. Fung has a blog post which explains Insulin Resistance in a way which may be encouraging, or not. I used to call my journal "Ending my Insulin Resistance" and I changed it after this post.

Insulin Resitance is Good?
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 14:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
As I've posted before, I already naturally eat IF, one meal a day, but it really hasn't been helping me - I'm very, very insulin resistant which I believe has been contributing to huge fluid retention issues, so as well as cutting out dairy and lowering protein, I've decided to do a 48 hour fast once a week. I'm 44 hours into my second 48 hour fast and it's been pretty easy so far. The only things I take in during the fast are water, losalt, apple cider vinegar and two lots of psyllium husk in unsweetened almond milk (can't take it in water, and need it for digestive issues) 600ml total.

Weighed this morning and had my first NL (new low) since November and fluid retention is also at a recent low.

I didn't really have much in the way of hunger issues, and feel pretty energetic today.
That's great news, Lee!
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 15:49
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

New blog post: The Diabetes Mantra
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 17:33

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Kat, Dr. Fung has a blog post which explains Insulin Resistance in a way which may be encouraging, or not. I used to call my journal "Ending my Insulin Resistance" and I changed it after this post.

Insulin Resitance is Good?

He certainly has a great way of describing things -- even like the analogies (although I'm always skeptical they oversimplify things).

Not sure I'm ready to embrace my insulin resistance though, regardless of the cause
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I have been eating in a 20/4 hour window for a couple weeks. I thought I'd like to try full fasting. I tried once, and it was pretty hard (36 hours). Then yesterday I did a 500 cal day, and it was just fine. Today I thought I'd be hungry, but I was not--not at all! I ended up eating 2 250cal meals. I felt really energetic, which I did not expect at all! I feel a little light-headed tonight, but not bad. I will be prepared to eat tomorrow if I am a)hungry, or b)fatigued. Otherwise, I will just keep doing what I'm doing. I HOPE I'm understanding Fung saying it's ok to fast as long as you want (well, for several days, anyway) when you are low carb, because your body will just "eat" your fat. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 06:13
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
More great news, Rhonda. And don't forget the vinegar and fiber.
I don't remember ever measuring BG with only those two add-ons before, but have a new meter and have been comparing new to old. One hour after taking fiber and vinegar, BG was 12 points lower. There might be something to that vinegar and fiber thing too

Interesting! I have been known to mix ACV (I use Braggs) with water before, but find it something I have to choke down. Didn't think about mixing it with fizzy water, though! Do you mix the fiber and vinegar together with the water and take at the same time? Sounds awful, but I'll try it!
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 06:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Unless your BS is too high anyway, be careful about lowering it while fasting... it might already be low enough. It's a good idea to check BG occasionally so you don't go too low, causing low energy and weakness.
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 06:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I didn't mix them yesterday, was thirsty and had a second glass of seltzer with Acacia Fiber...a type that mixes in clear.
However, I usually take the vinegar before dinner while preparing a salad, and to save time, will mix fiber in with it (might as well get two things I do not love over with at once)
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 07:35
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
might as well get two things I do not love over with at once

I don't mind the aCV in sparkling water, but the psyllium - yuck, that I have to choke down!
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 08:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I use acv in salad dressing along with lemon juice. I also use acv when I make bone broth and I've just started using acv in a homemade mouthwash along with salt, but I don't swallow it. ACV, an all purpose food.
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 08:50

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Like cotonpal I have found many uses for ACV too. One, which I used during fasting is to combine a few spoons of vinegar, pinch of salt, shake or two cayenne and hot water. It's almost like a spicy sour soup in a mug. Others seem to clear away from me when I do this. Maybe it's causing fumes?
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 09:02
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Like cotonpal I have found many uses for ACV too. One, which I used during fasting is to combine a few spoons of vinegar, pinch of salt, shake or two cayenne and hot water. It's almost like a spicy sour soup in a mug. Others seem to clear away from me when I do this. Maybe it's causing fumes?

I've think we've finally solved the mystery of "what is thud soup?"
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/140/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

#164   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 06:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 360/340/220 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks bluesinger, for pointing me to this thread.

I've just completed three two day fasts (Friday evening to Sunday evening). I watched a series of video presentations by Dr Fung over at www.dietdoctor.com prior to beginning the fasts.

My fasting has been a very good experience in terms of self control, understanding my food triggers, exploring my reaction and attitude to 'suffering' and boosting my weight loss after hitting a plateau. I highly recommend it.

Autophagy, to me, seems to be the most compelling reason to fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagy
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 06:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

Dang, that's a fascinating idea!