Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-16, 21:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default 10 Signs of Magnesium Deficiency

Why is Magnesium Such a Big Deal?

Magnesium is responsible for over 300 biochemical reactions in the body and impacts blood pressure, metabolism, immune function and many other aspects of health.

Some experts claim that magnesium deficiency is the single largest health problem in our world today.

http://wellnessmama.com/54128/signs...ium-deficiency/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 08:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thanks for this. Maybe it should be sticky?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 10:17

BF:

I am glad that you liked it and I hope that it helps all of us.
Yes you're right, It would be nice if it were a sticky.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 08:52

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks for this info on magnesium. I take it off and on--currently on--even though I don't have any signs or symptoms of deficiency.

Quote:
Chocolate is a decent source of magnesium, and there is speculation that cravings for chocolate may be a sign of magnesium deficiency.
But what a good excuse to make some coconut-oil-choco-bites! I think I'll do that today.

Good health to you in 2016.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 00:17

BF:

I take it religiously after all of the reading I've done about it recently...
I've ever made Choco-bites, I don't know if I could trust myself
But it sure sounds good
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 05:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've taken magnesium daily for years. When I log my food on Cronometer magnesium usually comes up somewhat deficient. Beause of my sensitive gut I take magnesium glycinate, a form of magnesium that does not act as a laxative. I've had problems with other, less expensive (of course) forms of magnesium. I've found that by supplementing with both magnesium and potassium I have virtually eliminated muscle cramps.

Potassium supplement by law contain very small amounts of potassium so I follow Dr Eades' advice:

"Potassium is linked to sodium. If you lose a lot of sodium through the diuretic effect of the low-carb diet, you’ll ultimately lose a lot of potassium as well. Keeping your sodium intake up as mentioned above will help preserve your potassium as well. And keeping your potassium levels up helps to ensure that you don’t lose a lot of lean muscle mass during your weight loss. Plus, just as with sodium, adequate potassium prevents cramping and fatigue.

You can replace your potassium by taking potassium supplements. In our clinical practice, we gave all patients starting the low-carb diet a prescription for potassium. You can get the same dosage by taking four to five of the over-the-counter 99 mg potassium supplements you can purchase at any health food or natural grocery store.

There are a couple of prescription medicines that you’ve got to be aware of if you markedly increase your potassium intake, so if you’re on blood pressure medicines, ask your doctor if it’s okay for you to take potassium."

I've also been doing this for years, although fewer year than I have been taking magnesium. Adding it to the magnesium stopped any cramping problem I was having.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 19:23

BF:

Very interesting Jean, Thanks for posting that information!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 06:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

About 6-7 years ago, I was practicing a lot of bikram yoga, running outdoors in very hot/humid conditions, under extreme stress, and eating way too much dairy.....
I felt like my mouth was turned down, like i had to force myself to smile...it was weird. then my hands started to clamp up, like i couldn't open them- i was terrified. soon after, my heart started to race and i thought i was going into cardiac arrest.
in the E.R. they told me i had dangerously low magnesium and too much calcium in my labs.
phew! that was easy to fix- i now supplement, eat pumpkin seeds nearly everyday, and rarely get any symptoms.

btw, for some reason- diabetics tend to be more at risk for this (I am guessing elevated blood sugar, leads to losses through urine).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 10:48

BF:

Oh Wow Robin! That is major!!!
It really explains how important Magnesium is.
Also revealing how too much Calcium is bad.

Thanks for sharing that...

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Mar-17-16 at 11:03.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-16, 11:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
btw, for some reason- diabetics tend to be more at risk for this (I am guessing elevated blood sugar, leads to losses through urine).

Also, if kidneys have been damaged by high blood sugar levels, they may not be quite as good at regulating electrolytes.