Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 10:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

A day without butter is like a day without sunshine!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 10:37

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

YES! Yes! Absolutely.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 11:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know, Bawdy, that part where Dr. S says about being on the verge of protein starvation, he says something about making sure you get enough protein on P3.
Quote:
Protein deficiency

Here too, the explanation is quite simple. During treatment the patient has been only just above the verge of protein deficiency and has had the advantage of protein being fed back into his system from the breakdown of fatty tissue. Once the treatment is over there is no more HCG in the body and this process no longer takes place. Unless an adequate amount of protein is eaten as soon as the treatment is over, protein deficiency is bound to develop, and this inevitably causes the marked retention of water known as hunger- edema.

The treatment is very simple. The patient is told to eat two eggs for breakfast and a huge steak for lunch and dinner followed by a large helping of cheese and to phone through the weight the next morning. When these instructions are followed a stunned voice is heard to report that two lbs. have vanished overnight, that the ankles are normal but that sleep was disturbed, owing to an extraordinary need to pass large quantities of water. The patient having learned this lesson usually has no further trouble.

So restricting protein seems completely unnecessary and perhaps counterproductive.
  #109   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 11:24

BF:

Yes, I had that passage in mind when I wrote all this. Of course, they must think that 75 grams is adequate. I don't believe it is.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:17

BF:

Yesterday was heavenly! That first taste of butter, after weeks of deprivation, oh my! I had my usual breakfast of one soft boiled egg, waited till lunch to add some fat since I wanted to wait 24 hours after my last hcg drops. I consumed 765 calories and it fell like so much, lol! I was strong and refused a glass of champagne last night, I am very proud of myself.
But this morning on the scale... help!!! I gained one pound!!! What should I do? I don't think I should increase calories today, maybe stay around 750 like yesterday? What do you think?
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:24
Experimenter

BF:

Hmmm... is it possible that your scale plays games like mine does? Sometimes I have a 1 pound bobble up or down that doesn't stay and I don't get too concerned.

Usually the bobbles are in the downward direction, so I just discount them until I've seen them at least 2 days in a row.

I did slowly raise my calories. I went slower than the recommendation at HTA... I pretty much stayed with the no-fat p2 foods, just added more lean protein, until the 3 days were up.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:30

BF:

Thanks Nancy. Maybe I did start the fat too early. Will be extra careful today, that's for sure.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:38
Experimenter

BF:

I just got new supplies and I'm tempted to restart P2. But then again I found P2 was very distracting from accomplishing things. I really think I need a full reset. So I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 11:22

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just got new supplies and I'm tempted to restart P2. But then again I found P2 was very distracting from accomplishing things. I really think I need a full reset. So I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm.

I'm waiting until March to do R2P2, I did such a long round last time I want to make sure I've got stabilization before I go on. it was all good until this weekend and then I bounced up 4lbs essentially overnight. probably a combo of an intense pilates class, sodium and a few days before TOM. Down 2 of those 4 from a steak day yesterday, doing the Dr S suggestion for edema because that's what I got!
(also upped my T3 slightly for the day to help flush, seemed to help)
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 12:55
Experimenter

BF:

I'm waiting until the first week of April, because I've got something going on that first weekend of April 1-3. I'll make 2 of those days my load day. That'll be easier than trying to resist all those goodies for 12 hours a day! That'll also give me plenty of time to stabilize.

I'm halfway through P3. I might do a steak day, I'm hanging out at the top most part of my +2# and I'd rather be at the lower part of it. Besides, I have a ton of steak right now.

I'm thinking that nothing has really changed with my metabolism though. I doubt I'll be able to tolerate carbs any better. My blood sugar skyrockets even when I have a piece of low fruit or 5 oz of frozen strawberries.

Although I do think I'm tolerating my thyroid meds well at the moment. Sometimes I feel a bit hyper on 2 grains of armor. Right now, I'm not at all. When I was on the hcg I felt hyper and had to cut back to 1.5 grains.

Did y'all know that hcg is an anti-estrogen? I was looking into that yesterday and found that out. I wonder if maybe that's what has tipped me into not having a period this month... I'm balancing on the knife-edge of menopause.

I remember that estrogen causes RT3, as in BC pills.

Something else I read was interesting. Certain types of yams and starchy foods in Africa cause extra gonadotriptin to be released, causing extra eggs to be released during ovulation. Gonadotriptin is the G in hcg.

So... use BC when you're on hcg otherwise you might end up with twins... or triplets!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Feb-15-11 at 13:05.
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 13:46

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I knew that the diet can sometimes increase estrogen because of release from fat cells but didn't realize it was anti estrogen...where did you see this one?
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 14:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
ISo... use BC when you're on hcg otherwise you might end up with twins... or triplets!

Oh nooooo. I did not! lol.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 15:51
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
I knew that the diet can sometimes increase estrogen because of release from fat cells but didn't realize it was anti estrogen...where did you see this one?

Basically just googled "hcg anti-estrogen". I could be wrong, it might just be hcg is being used along with antiestrogens for something. It is does inhibit FH... which is... forget what.
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-11, 10:22

BF:

Yesterday I ate basically the same as the previous day, just increased by 100 calories. This morning on the scale, I have lost half a pound. So today I plan the same strategy, just increase by 100 calories a day. I am not as panicked as I was yesterday, lol. Thanks for the input, Bawdy.
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-11, 10:38

BF:

Fauve, sounds like a good plan. Today I'm up to 1250! That seems like so much after shooting for 500 for so long. I know that I'm going to be pushed to climb up to 1800 or even 2000 or more, and I don't know that I want to do that. I mean, if you can get your nutrition (fats and protein) within 1250 or 1500 calories, why choose to eat a bunch of veggies and fruit (READ: Carbs = Sugar) just to raise the calories to an arbitrary number?