Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
thats a good way to go about unhealthy weight loss =/

I agree ...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobalbob
If that was in reference to my post then that is such a naive comment.

If you look at the nutritional content of Mcdonalds 'meat' products, rather than their sugary buns, sauces and drinks, you will find they are exactly the same as eating a good rural steak.

An all steak diet isn't healthy, though. I do see you ate a side salad, but, that's no where near sufficient.

No doubt what you were doing is a lot healthier than eating the full meal, but, it's still really unhealthy and it's responsible to say so. You should not misrepresent the LC diet as being appropriately followed if one eats that way (from McDonalds or from home - it's not about eggs, cheese, sausage, meat only).
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 13:48
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
An all steak diet isn't healthy, though.
Studies, please. The only clinical study done on this issue that I know of, the subject did very well on a year-long meat-only diet. I know it is politically correct to say that low-carb diets require lots of vegetables, and that Atkins himself was not immune to marketing pressures in this regard, but what are the facts?

Wyv
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 14:03

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
Studies, please. The only clinical study done on this issue that I know of, the subject did very well on a year-long meat-only diet. I know it is politically correct to say that low-carb diets require lots of vegetables, and that Atkins himself was not immune to marketing pressures in this regard, but what are the facts?

Wyv
Vilhjalmur Stefansson and a companion did the meat only for a year and had no problems. Both seemed healthier at the end.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 15:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn

Wyv

It is self evident that a diet consisting only of ground beef and other fast food, muscle flesh meat products is severely deficient in numerous nutrient factors. You won't find studies on such a diet for the same reason you won't find an all any-one-food diet study; it's obvious eating only one thing isn't as ideally healthy as eating a diet which includes more variety. Variety helps prevent deficiencies. (assuming food is all high quality naturally - soda and starch is not high quality food, in which case, the O.P increased his D.Q. by ommitting these items and eating more meat)
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 18:59
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
It is self evident that a diet consisting only of ground beef and other fast food, muscle flesh meat products is severely deficient in numerous nutrient factors.
I think there is very little about nutrition that is self-evident, especially "common sense"/maintream/politically correct nutrition. I question it all.

A nice rare, fatty steak is complete protein and fat with lots of minerals and vitamins. It's probably one of the 2-3 most complete foods there is, the other being eggs. Granted the same probably can't always be said for a fast food patty that loses much of its healthy fat as well as other nutrients on the grill, due to mandated high temperature preparation. But it's not lack of nutrition that makes me skip lunch if the only thing available is fast food. It's the hydrogenated oil in the grill lube, and the fact that after you discard the bread and HFCS/MSG-loaded sauce from your burger all that's left is a little rubbery grey flap of a patty that's not worth the time it would take to choke it down.

Wyv
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

What about potential vitamins that are undiscovered yet? Without a varied diet you could be missing out on them. I mean PQQ wasnt discovered all that long ago, and it came decades after others were found. and of course the phytonutrients in vegetables and fruit. That why I personally try and get as many foods as possible, around 20 different vegetables and some fruits a day. I usually eat upto 26 different foods everyday.

Quote:
that was in reference to my post then that is such a naive comment

I'd like to go over the nutritional quality of such a diet as was mentioned earlier in the thread. I have some software, If i had the names or links of the food eaten then I could see what was the deficiencies. A bit like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...oa182/DWIDP.jpg

Last edited by Whoa182 : Thu, Feb-02-06 at 23:35.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 01:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/249/125 Female 5'4"
BF:of course
Progress: 18%

Quote:
(I'm continually surprised by obese people I know that eat low fat, don't lose much weight and really aren't convinced that eating different foods really can make such a difference).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

If you recall, toward the end of the movie it says he consumed 30 pounds of sugar. A pound a day from soda and as additives. Now why add sugar to a salad. I know some dressings have sugar, but did they wash the lettuce in sugar water or something?

He also only did as much exercise as the "typical American". He took a taxi the first day because the closest McD was too far away to walk. He also had to eat everything on the menu at least once. But did he have to finish everything he purchased?

I did not like McD before, but now will never go there. It really opened my eyes to the amount of sugar added to fast foods. As we were watching this movie I also thought, is it the meat (as it seemed they were insinuating) or the accoutrement's that made him sick. I think we all know.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 11:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
What about potential vitamins that are undiscovered yet? Without a varied diet you could be missing out on them. I mean PQQ wasnt discovered all that long ago, and it came decades after others were found. and of course the phytonutrients in vegetables and fruit. That why I personally try and get as many foods as possible, around 20 different vegetables and some fruits a day. I usually eat upto 26 different foods everyday.

I'd like to go over the nutritional quality of such a diet as was mentioned earlier in the thread. I have some software, If i had the names or links of the food eaten then I could see what was the deficiencies. A bit like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...oa182/DWIDP.jpg
As you pointout, there may well be chemicals as yet undiscovered in foods that are needed, so how can a software analysis be complete as it only has the knowns. The USDA database is sadly lacking in having phytonutrients included.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 12:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/255/195 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

It seems that there is a debate to be had here as to whether eating Atkins 'steak n fat' and salad is as good / bad as a beef patty and salad?

Anyone have any real evidence that this is a bad / good / acceptable thing?

Quote:
hydrogenated oil in the grill lube
I have no iodea what you are refering to but working in Macs as a kid they never used anything on the grill?

For those that did not read my post I did not say I ate burgers every day, I combined this with a fish and vegetable diet which was pretty much balanced. Its all about choices and making your diet accesptable and healhty. Whlst eating 'demon burger' I lost 40lbs and have never been so healthy. The real issue is that if you have too much of anything then its bad, even water!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 16:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
As you pointout, there may well be chemicals as yet undiscovered in foods that are needed, so how can a software analysis be complete as it only has the knowns. The USDA database is sadly lacking in having phytonutrients included.

I agree, a program isn't any "assurance" that you've got your minimums...

But eating most meals at mcdonalds and tossing the bun and subsisting on nothing but ground beef and stuff like that most certainly is not sufficient nutrition...
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

More likely to get the good nutrition with eating 26 or so different foods including upto 20 different vegetables, lean meat, yogurt, nuts etc.. than just eating a bun and meat at McDonalds... Right?