Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: x
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Advanced lifters, what am I missing?

Okay, so I am a total n00b at lifting, no question about that. I've been lifting since January 18th, and I've barely gotten my 'sea legs' on this. I'm seeing results, but I know I still have a lot to learn.

So, I often watch people at the gym, and I've noticed some of the guys doing things that just don't make sense to me. Admittedly, I have zero knowledge of lifting, except what I've read or gleaned from the internet, but I've never read anything about this, except instructions to avoid doing it. So will either of these techniques be beneficial to an advance lifter?

First, I noticed some of the bigger guys doing large numbers of really rapid reps with light weights. I thought, okay, not sure about that, but maybe there's a benefit. But, lately, I've noticed a couple of the same guys lifting much more weight than they obviously can handle, pushing really hard to make the first rep, then basically using momentum to get through the rest of the set.

If these were tiny, little guys, I might dismiss it, but these guys are built. I really, really fail to see where they're going to benefit, but they obviously got big somehow. So, what am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 01:02

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I'm a noob, too, but the first sounds like they're trying to deplete their glycogen, possibly as part of a ripping routine (weight loss to make the muscles stand out more clearly), also called a metabolic workout, IIRC.

The second sounds like a 1-rep max, that's the maximum amount that you can move, JUST ONCE. In order to get big, you do have to challenge your muscles, these guys may in fact be gearing up for a contest, where you really do move the weight just once, and as much as you can possibly handle.

Again, I'm a noob. Anyone else?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That makes more sense than I could figure... I had zero idea of what they could be doing, lol!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 12:06

Plan: CKD
Stats: 235/230/205 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

What they're doing when they do rapid reps with light weights is getting a blood to flow to their muscles in order to get a "pump" they might also be pre-exhausting the muscle they are training to get to failure.

The second thing your seeing is "cheating" this is an actual term used in bodybuilding guys (and girls ) do this when training past failure the key is to keep strict form until you can't get in one more rep then you do your "cheat reps" this activates more muscle fibers and cause hypertrophy.

If your new to the weight room stay away from cheating this is for more advanced lifters. Right now the most important thing is form don't ever sacrifise that to put up more weight. Also focus on compound movements, squats, dead lifts and flat bench are the best excersices you can be doing right now
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info, Perico. These guys were just confusing me. I already knew that whatever they were doing, it was too advanced for me to try! Heck, I'm still working on moving up my weight on preacher curls to double digits.

I am primarily focusing on form right now. I just can't help but watch those who are obviously more advanced than I am right now. I guess I'm goofy like that.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 15:27

Plan: CKD
Stats: 235/230/205 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey Bug
Thanks for the info, Perico. These guys were just confusing me. I already knew that whatever they were doing, it was too advanced for me to try! Heck, I'm still working on moving up my weight on preacher curls to double digits.

I am primarily focusing on form right now. I just can't help but watch those who are obviously more advanced than I am right now. I guess I'm goofy like that.

no problem PB, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any help puting together a routine or if you have any more questions
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-11, 00:14

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Thanks, Perico!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 18:12

Plan: franks plan
Stats: 235/232/225 Male 6foot
BF:
Progress:

first post from nolabama

as a noob in the gym you need to develop a routine - whatever that may be - and stick to it -

develop form first and then strength later

i recommend a routine that revolves around core movement's - Google conjugate method- example follows

day one - bench press, incline press, decline press, and various bicep work

day two - military press, shoulder shrugs, tricep work ( imho more is better with triceps)

day three - squat, ham curls , leg extension

day four -dead lift, good morning (if you and your doctor believe you can do them) lat work

day five is an extra day - do more of a problem area or what you like - i work more shoulder and tri - sometimes back

depending on weight gain or loss goals add or subtract cardio accordingly