Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1336   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-11, 08:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Taken in September for my 55th birthday pictures:

Pictures removed

after HCG and not working out much:

Pictures removed

I'm trying to get back to where I was in September. I did get down to my lowest weight doing HCG, but I lost a lot of strength and desire to train, so I'm thinking I wasn't a good candidate. I just had to try and see if I could do better. So, now I know.

I don't discourage HCG, it works really well for a lot of people.

Last edited by galatia : Thu, Jan-27-11 at 05:58. Reason: removing pictures
Sponsored Links
  #1337   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-11, 11:55

Plan: LC/LF + weights & cardio
Stats: 158.0/138.8/135.0 Female 5'7 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

Did you just take those second ones? If so, you still look pretty darn good, even after a long break from lifting!
  #1338   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-11, 11:59

BF:

No, those were the ones I took right after HCG...I look a lot worse now. But not for long. I hope.
  #1339   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 06:42

BF:

Wrinkles linked to bone density, study finds

Beauty may be only skin deep, but a new study that looks at women’s wrinkles could have some substantial benefits, making it easier to detect poor bone health without relying on special X-ray tests.

Dr. Lubna Pal, a reproductive endocrinologist and associate professor at Yale School of Medicine, has found that the worse a woman’s skin wrinkles are during the first few years of menopause, the lower her bone density.

“In post-menopausal women, the appearance of the skin may offer a glimpse of the skeletal well-being,” she said in a statement.

Pal said the association could partly be explained by the fact that both skin and bones are built by collagens, a group of proteins. Changes in collagen as we age may be the reason for wrinkles and sagging skin. The changes may also contribute to worsening bone density.

Pal said the results of the study may make it possible to identify post-menopausal women at a glance who are at risk of a fracture without depending on expensive bone-density tests.

Currently, bone density can be assessed by a special test called dual energy X-ray absorptiometry.

“Including the study of skin wrinkles to other clinical risk factors may allow identification of fracture risk in populations that do not have access to more costly technology,” Pal said.

Bone density is linked to the amount of minerals in the bones.

Bones in children and young adults renew their mineral deposits faster than they deteriorate. After reaching peak bone mass in young adulthood, however, bone density begins to naturally decrease.

Decreasing bone density can result in osteoporosis. Osteoporosis Canada’s website says as many as two million Canadians have the disease, including one in four women over the age of 50. Men are also affected by it, but in smaller numbers.

Hip fractures result in death in as many as 20 per cent of cases, and disability in 50 per cent of those who survive.

More than 100 women in their early 40s and 50s who had recently entered menopause were tested for the study.

Pal and her team found that the worse the wrinkles, the lower the bone density in the hip, lumbar spine and heel.

Age and body composition of the subjects did not affect the connection.

The researchers also found that firmer skin on the face and forehead was associated to greater bone density.
  #1340   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 08:44

BF:

Waffle

1 large egg
1 T. Splenda
1 oz. Protein Powder (I use vanilla)
optional adds:
little salt and cinnamon
Also you can add 1 T. sour cream or yogurt

This is a modification from a recipe I got from Any. Thanks again!

They are so good. I don't know if they are only good to people who don't eat flour, or if they'd be good to anyone...but I LOVE them.

Last edited by galatia : Thu, Mar-29-12 at 06:24.
  #1341   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 07:08

BF:
Default Week of March 11-17

My eating plan: low carb
My exercise plan: weight training 3-4 days a week
Water: drink 64 ozs. daily
Weigh-in and week in review at the beginning of each week.

Goals:
~get down to and maintain 130 lbs. The weight/size I feel best at.
~regain strength/muscle lost during last year when battling bad carpal tunnel and tendon inflammation issues.
~be healthy, energetic, and enjoying life.

3-11-12: After a fast day: Weight~ 137 lbs.

3-14-12: I haven't done rack-pulls in AGES, so I tried today, doing 205 lbs. which was what my working weight (10-12 reps) was a couple of years ago. FAIL! I couldn't get the weight off the rack, not even a little. So I ended up doing reps with 135 lbs. :'( I'll start back doing them until I get my weight back up to 205 lbs.

3-15-12 I never expect to bench press 170 lbs. again...but I am determined to at least get my working weight up to 135. Sadly today I got 115 x 10. I had very bad carpal tunnel problems last year and so had to do very gentle training. Unfortunately that brought on some other problems...so I won't be pushing myself as hard now, but I do need to do some respectable weights. I also need to get me one of those tank tops that say, "The older I get...the better I was."

3-18-12: 137.8 Waist: 27.5/ Hips: 36.5/ Thighs 35.5 top thigh: 20.75
Week in Review: I missed my shoulder weight training day. After working in the garden, I was too tired. I didn't have peanut butter, but I did over indulge in cheese. Drank more water, but not 64 ozs. daily as planned. :\
So, I could have done better, but all in all...I'll give it a 7 out of 10 pts.

3-19: I quit eating yogurt because it's another something that I won't control. There, I said it. :| Anyway...I found some that expired on the 13th...I'm almost done eating it, and then...it's on the FORBIDDEN list along with peanut butter and cream cheese. Got my leg work-out done...YAY!! I hate you, squats, and I always will! :|

3-20: I went up to 145 lbs. on the rack pulls this week. I'm not pushing hard...I got time. And...with the injuries I've had to deal with, as I'm getting older (56), I've learned to be more careful, and listen to my body.

3-25-12: 136.8.

3-28: I went up to 155 on rack pulls today. If I can keep up this progress I'll be back to 205 in no time. What else...oh, I did kneeling pulldowns. I liked them.

Last edited by galatia : Wed, Mar-28-12 at 16:08.
  #1342   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 12:18

BF:

4-1: 136.6 Waist: 27.5/ Thighs: 35.5
4-8: 138.6 no measurements....the weight says enough.
I've only worked out a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. I plan to get back on track this week. There's been "stuff" going on that got me side-tracked, but...I should be good now.
4-9: 138.2 Leg work-out~ done!
4-11: 165 lbs. on rackpulls today. 40 more lbs. to go. Next week I'll try 205 again and see if I can move it off the rack yet. I think I can.
4-17: 185 lbs. on rackpulls today. I didn't try 205 today as planned. Next week should be back to 205 anyway. I hope. :|
4-25: 205 lbs. for 6 reps. then I dropped back to 185 for the next 2 sets. After trying to unrack the 205 again and couldn't. :\ That's pretty heavy for me. :|

Last edited by galatia : Wed, Apr-25-12 at 14:40.