Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 13:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default 5 times a day vs 3 times a day

I hate when you can't search for '5 times a day'!

I am considering switching to eating 5 times a day vs. three times a day, to a) help me rid of evening cravings, and b) maybe get me out of a stall.

What are your opinions? I've read most of the literature on 3 vs. 5 that says 5 gives more stable blood levels, but I have enough trouble remembering to each lunch, let alone try to squeeze in a snack at work too (just too busy).
What snacks do you all eat? If I eat a bacon/egg omlette in the morning with salad, and a meat/vegie item for lunch, what should I squeeze in for two snacks? before dinner? (trying to not eat to late into the evening...), snacks just seem to add a lot of extra calories... don't wanna do cheese either

any opinions appreciated...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 14:02
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

If you can do it, I see nothing wrong with it at all. A lot of peoples lifestyle doesn't not allow them the time for meals 5 times a day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 14:07

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:

I was wondering if anybody thought the metabolic advantages would accelerate weight loss, or is it just a guess.?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:18
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I am doing MUCH better with frequent small meals than with three big ones. It seems to reduce cravings, I'm not tempted to snack or cheat because I know the next "feeding" is right around the corner, and I'm satisfied with much less per minimeal, so it's easier to hold myself accountable to a reasonable calorie tally for the day. But I always was a happy grazer, and this might not be your style. Also, be careful to record everything you eat, on Fitday or another program, since with so many "feedings" you can easily lose track of what you've taken in.

And in answer to your other question, I personally treat each minimeal as a meal, not a snack--so I eat a mix of protein, fat, and carbs at each "feeding". Just very small portions of everything. If you pack a lunch for work, for example, you could eat a third of it every two hours in the afternoon--or something like that.

Oh, and I just thought of another benefit--I tend to drink more water more easily, since I drink with every minimeal.

As for a metabolic advantage, I'm not sure, but I do know that I'm less disturbed by cravings and it's easier not to overeat this way. So that keeps the weight off.

Good luck with this!

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Mon, Feb-02-04 at 15:20.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:31

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I eat 3 "meals" per day, but graze all day long, I think it helps my metabolism and I'm never hungry. I just make sure everything is logged each day as to not go over my carb count and keep fat to 75%.

vikki
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:35

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Me, I do the complete OPPOSITE of what everybody says.

I have always had a problem with eating at night, no matter how much or how frequently I ate during the day.

Yes, I've heard that proverb about breakfast being the 'most important' meal of the day' and that five meals are better than three.

But for me, I was only able to shed those last 10 stubborn pounds by eating lightly or not at all during the day, and only eating dinner (sometimes a biggie) in the evening.

Yep, it's counter to what everybody says, but it works for me like a charm. Yeah, I get pretty hungry by dinnertime. But there is no better feeling than eating a good satisfying meal when you are truly, deep-down, primeval hungry. It's sort of the reward after the day's work is done.

If I'm still hungry later in the evening, I have my snacks at that time.

And naturally, ALL of this eating is low-carb, whole-foods, non-restaurant.

Actually, this eating pattern -- a big meal after a long period without eating -- apparently does good things for blood glucose and cholesterol. There have been a number of research studies on the metabolic effects of Ramadan, whee Moslems fast during daylight hours, and eat only at night. Do a Google search on "Ramadan Fasting Diet" or something. I'm in the office or I'd post the links.

No warranties are expressed or implied. I note only that this works for me.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 21:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was eating 5-6 meals a day with no problem. Then for some reason my night/evening snacking got out of control. I was having Lc items, just too much of them and not stopping when full. I would also get cravings.

I moved to CAD to help with the snacking, and it has helped. You are only allowed 1-3 meals a day with 1 snack.

Right now I am trying to get back to where I am eating at least 3 meals a day again and making my RM more balanced though. I plan to stick to the 3 meals with up to 1 snack of CAD, but make it more moderate carb then I have been and combine principles of both plans.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 00:00

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Everyone is different. If 5 works for you -- great. For me I'm in the boat with Lady Belle. Even though I'm on Atkins, I find CAD style works for me -- no more than 3 times per day. If I snack, I want to snack more & more, cravings come back and I stop losing and go out of ketosis. All this happens even though I keep my cals and carbs the same, they are just more "spread out" during my day.

You may loose better or it could work against you. I'd say try it, really pay attention to your cravings and if they come back, go back to the more infrequent meals. If you feel fine and loose fine -- then great, 5 meals works for you.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 07:39
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I try and eat 5 times a day... sometimes it works out as 3 other times I will just grab a spoon of peanut butter or some olives or string cheese as a snack.

I try and eat smaller meals to get used to portion control, speed up my metabolism and keep my blood sugar stable.

I find the one meal a day idea interesting, since I would imagine if you saved up all your calories and carbs for one meal it would spike your BG much harder than keeping your carbs stable all day not to mention put your body in starvation mode.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 07:45

Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

5 times per day versus 3 times per day:

I thought you were talking about how often you should weigh yourself!!!!

Don't lie to yourself, you know that you've done it in the past!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 07:54

Stats: 295/247/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I eat 5 times a day so that I will not be really hungry at anytime I eat. I try to get all my eating done by 6 pm and the portions of everything I eat relatively small. I truly do have an insulin problem (hypoglycemic) and my carb cravings from that is what got me to be so heavy. Eating the way I do seems to keep everything in balance. But, I am sure this is an individual thing and not everyone can manage to eat this often.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:36
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I eat 5 times a day... coffee with cream, followed by a small late breakfast/snack, late lunch, snack, dinner, and dessert/snack. I would not be able to do 3 meals a day, I can tell right around a snack time that I'm getting shakey.