Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-16, 09:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

My original goal was 150. I bumped it down to 145 when I realized that I DID want to be in the "normal" BMI range. I also had a BF% goal of 28, based on my age (I'll be 66 in Jan.) About a month or so ago, I realized I'd already hit that, too.

Will I go below 145? I have no idea. For the past year and a couple of months, my WOE has been such that I know I can sustain it indefinitely. My most important goal is to be healthy until I'm pushing up daisies. What I weight becomes less important, as I go along, than that. So, who knows?

I've passed two goals. We'll see if I pass any more of them. But HEALTHY? That's not a goal to attain, so much as it is one to maintain, isn't it? Because we can be healthy long before we reach our weight and BF goals.

As we age, the most important health component of continued weight loss is how it eases the stress on our bones.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-21, 20:49

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

motivational thread
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 03:08

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

i will never be able to get below my goal, even after the worms have finished their job
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-21, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

My original realistic goal was 199, i.e. under 200 lb for life. My wildest dream was to get down to the 170s. Today I'm 184, pursuing my wildest dream weight. I feel like I'll get there ... when I get there. Meanwhile, I'm very pleased and comfortable where I am.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-21-21, 07:50

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

My "old" goal was 170. I got down to 160.

Now, I've gained, and I got back up to 185. (No scale, after my move, and laid up from surgery, eating out of boredom)

I've set my new goal at 150. If I surpass it, I'll still be within "normal" BMI until 140, and I know how to STOP losing... though, honestly, once I'm in the swing, it does take a real mental shift.

BTW, I hit that goal back in early 2020. It's now mid-2021, and I am complaining because I'm up. (My clothes started getting tight, so I knew I couldn't keep putting off that new scale.)
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-21-21, 15:35

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I met my original goal, which was to lose about 50 pounds.

Then I set a new goal, to have a BMI that was no longer overweight, but normal.

I've got to the high side of normal. As my weight still fluctuates, and I'm on the border, I drift into overweight and back to normal, so I haven't quite got there yet. I'll get there though, I'm now 62 pounds down giver or take a few.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-22-21, 05:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I went past my goal by being willing to give up anything.

This process started when I realized eating a low carb wrap actually made me bloated. Something I never would have realized until I lost enough weight to wear somewhat-snug pants again. Going gluten-free restarted my weight loss and had a positive impact on my health.

Stress and health challenges ramped up my efforts, until I now eat from a very restricted list. But it's tasty and full of nutrition and whenever I stray, I gain again, or even have illness flareups.

It's true. Nothing tastes as good as real health feels.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-21, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My original goal was 160, a bit of safety net under 169. 169 is where my BMI falls into the "healthy/normal" range. As a breast cancer survivor, there are multiple studies showing the risk of recurrence especially for hormonal cancers, goes up dramatically from there. But over the past decade I let my weight slip higher, until 2020, starting with a dream vacation no holds barred, then the quarantine and pandemic guidelines, I had regained 20 pounds. Starting August last year using Dr Ted Naiman's P:E diet and Marty Kendall's Data Driven Fasting, I have lost over 30 pounds, lower than that stretch goal of 160 I had never ever reached with a decade of Low Carb and the usual fasting protocols. Now lower than my "wedding weight" I wonder if my high school aka "ideal" weight is possible. I do add intense pool cardio six days a week in summer….so will see.
See semi-LC sub-forum for more info but basically I followed the tips here: https://www.lowenergydiet.com/ Dr Westman's plan was always a lower fat keto with limits on added fats, but the missing step was keeping healthy Whole Foods but lowering fats in foods when possible to do so without lowering nutrients, in fact adding nutrient dense carbs like all vegetables and zero fat Greek yogurt.

I really thought at 70 years old my "ideal" weight of 145, would be crazy to try to reach, maybe not even healthy. But now that I’m here…to quote WearBear…"It turned out my not being able to imagine my new life was only a deficiency in my imagination."

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-20-21 at 04:28.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-21, 09:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I really thought at 70 years old my "ideal" weight of 145, would be crazy to try to reach, maybe not even healthy. But now that I’m here…to quote WearBear…"It turned out my not being able to imagine my new life was only a deficiency in my imagination."

#25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-21, 10:14

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I once thought I would be satisfied at 155 pounds, 90 pounds less than my highest weight. Then I adjusted downward to 135. Then with the help of Marty Kendall’s Nutrient Optimizer program I got down to 123. Presently I am at 125.0, for a total weight loss over many years of 120 pounds. At the age of 72 I am not far from what I weighed in high school. I credit a combination of low carb and optimizing protein. I still marvel at my reflection in the mirror. How did I get to be this thin person? Seems miraculous but I know it was a combination of commitment and science.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-21, 06:05

Jean, though I had read Marty's blog for years, you took the next step of Nutrient Optimization first and I will be forever grateful to you for leading the way. I am not a nutrient super-star by any means and actually do better with the simpler program of Data Driven Fasting, but Marty's two programs plus Dr Naiman's even easier program have been the key to reaching for an ideal weight below my original goal.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 04:49

My story of a decade long journey to surpass my goal weight was published on the OptimisingNutrition blog. I have finally added my success story here with more detail about nutrient density and a semi-low carb approach.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484995
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 06:47

This older post's most recent comment was over two years ago. My three year High Protein and High Nutrient Density update on now on the ON blog:
Julia’s Journey to Wellness: A Three-Year Post-Menopause Success Story with a High Protein Diet
//optimisingnutrition.com/julias-story/
Since this last post, my success story also was on the Diet Doctor website: How Janet succeeded with more protein and higher satiety
https://www.dietdoctor.com/succeede...-higher-satiety

That a high protein, high nutrient, low fat approach is very successful for weight loss is no surprise, bodybuilders have been using this diet for decades. But what is a surprise still is how easy it has been to maintain a lower weight. When I wrote it, my thought was being public will make me work hard to stay at this low weight or completely jinx it But it has not been hard!

My tip is to know precisely what you are eating now…how many protein grams do you eat in a day? How many fat grams are in 80% ground beef or Bacon? How many calories in 4 oz cheese? How much calcium do you eat in an average day? Only one week of tracking will give you the answers and point to how to adjust the foods you now enjoy and see slow, steady weight loss that can be maintained.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-16-23 at 09:05.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 07:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Its not only enlightening but also inspiring to read everyone's stories. Someday I will add mine. Thank you everyone for sharing.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-23, 20:23

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I finally got the BMI down to the high side of the normal range. That is way past my original goal, and is the goal I made when I attained the first one.