Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 14:28

Plan: May 03 CAD
Stats: 233/231/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Smile I've nearly 100lb to lose - So can I join in Please !!!!

Hello Everyone

I wonder if it would be ok to join this part of the forum. I have'nt quite got 100lb to lose, but not far off of it.

My name is Julie and I'm from the UK. I'm currently on my 14th day of induction and according to the chemist scales I've lost 13lb. Which for me is absolutely fantastic - I've also measured everything and that shows an overall 8 inches lost - so what evers going on I hope continues.

I intend to stay on induction for sometime as I have alot to lose, but am worried that I should be doing this - anyone got any advice.

Well I'm off to sort out my skinny daughter.
Bye for now
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 15:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Of course we want you!

Hello, Julie & welcome to the Triple Digits Club!

We're happy to have you join us here, even if you don't have a full 100+ to lose. Trust me, we do not discriminate!

Congratulations on your success with Induction. It can be a difficult period for some, but you're clearly doing something right.

I continued at Induction levels for a few months. I continued to lose weight at a nice clip during that time. However, I found it was necessary to begin to introduce more foods (and carbs) as time went on and my weight loss continued. It was hardin adding those carbs back in though, as I was totally in the Induction mindset and I didn't want to mess up a good thing.

And I suspect you'll feel differently about staying at Induction levels for too long. Just listen to the messages your body sends you and be willing to experiment with some added carbs (slowly).

Good luck to you & welcome!

Donald
Attached Images
File Type: gif smileface12revolving.gif (11.0 KB, 230 views)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 17:17

Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hi Julie

Hi Julie,

Congrats on the 13lb loss, that's excellent.

I have been on induction for about two months. I haven't become bored enough to add more carbs, I'm hoping to stay on induction until I lose more or I feel like I need more choices. I don't have alot of experience with WOE, but I know that I feel great (so much better than before I started LCing) so I don't think it's unhealthy to stay on induction for an extended period of time.

Good Luck!
Summer
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 13:49

BF:
Smile Thanks Guys

I think my body has started to adjust itself to this WOE now, as I've not lost anything for 2 days - but I can live with that. As long as it restarts again sometime I'll keep going.

I have been realistic when setting my final goal - but think I will want to change it later on - the amount I really want to lose is around the 100lb mark - but I dont know whether I will be able to maintain that - but I'm just taking it in small strides to begin with.

I've been doing the keto test for the full 16 days too and it shows I am still in ketosis - so am I still burning fat then? If so Why have I stopped losing?

Never mind - I will still keep at it and try to vary my foods alittle or I'll be clucking like a chicken before long lol

Take care everyone and thanks for the posts
see you all soon
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 18:35

BF:
Default Re: Keto Test Strips

Hi Julie,

I do the Keto test every morning and I am always between moderate and large, but it doesn't seem to make my weight loss any faster. I'd be interested if anyone is able to provide feedback regarding whether the results of the strip REALLY indicate you are still losing.

I eat alot of chicken too - chicken and fish - for some reason I just can't believe it's ok to eat alot of beef, I usually only have beef once a week.

Hope you are doing well.

Take Care
Summer
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 20:27

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Tigra and Summer:

Ketos shows that your body is in fat burning mode and not carb burning.

My suggestion is to take your measurements as well as weighing. Also don't weigh daily.

Personally, I weigh weekly and take my measurements weekly. I haven't lost any weight in the last 7 weeks, however I have lost over 8 inches in the hips, waist and bust areas. Atkins points out that this may be muscle building...muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less space. As long as you are losing either inches or weight then you are not in a stall.

Keep on the WOL and you will loose weight.

Welcome welcome welcome...

Dee

#7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 11:26

BF:
Smile I'm still fat burning - lol !!!!

Hello Everybody

Well I'm still in fat burning mode according to the Ketostix - so maybe something will happen soon.

I've not been to get weighed today ( I dont keep scales at home - god I'd become obsessive if I had some ) because I've not been too well - so I've sort of confined myself to the house supposedly to rest - but ended up doing housework.

I've been really tired for the last 24 hours to be honest and this morning as soon as I had a cup of tea - I had to fly to the bathroom and was really sick. Now this is not like me!!! I have never liked being sick and still get really upset when its going on. But my tummy has been not feeling too great all day - although I have managed to keep food down since.

has anyone else felt like this? I also seem to be having problems eating too - I dont really want to and only do so when I'm really hungry - but even then I dont fancy anything.

This is my typical menu - am I eating enough?

Breakfast
3 eggs
2 bacon
tea

Lunch
chicken
tuna
cott cheese

Dinner
same as lunch most days and I do try to eat some veggies or salad sometimes

I might have some SF Jelly later at night

Can anyone give me any idea's please ?

Thank you in advance
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 15:16

BF:
Smile Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback Dee. I did take my measurements when I began, I haven't taken them since so I will do that tomorrow. I hadn't weighed for 2 weeks but I weighed in this morning and have not lost!! I feel like I should have lost SOMETHING! But I will try to be patient. Maybe the measurements will make me feel better.

Julie, sorry you're not feeling well. I don't have any feedback regarding why, except that it may not be related your diet at all. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

I have to say that I have never felt better. This WOL definetly agrees with me - I just wish I could also see some weight loss.

Summer
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 13:41

BF:
Smile Am back and Better

Hiya Summer thanks for your posting.

Well today I feel much much better - although I've eaten abit more today - so it could be that I'm not eating enough.

Well I got weighed today and no loss, but no gain - so I should be grateful for that at least.

I've been on carb life and picked up some more recipes to try - so when I have I'll post them on for everyone to share - but they sound good and are low in carbs too.

Well happy Lcing everyone
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 14:10

Stats: 358/296/160
BF:
Progress: 31%
Smile

Well I am really new here and just wanted to start off by saying it sure does feel good to be "home"!!
I post on several other sites, but none are exclusivly low carb. This site is very nice, and I am so happy I found it. The support here seems to be absolutely amazing.
I started Atkins January of this year and by middle April was down 46 pounds. I had huge things happening all through May ( I got married and attended 2 family reunions) and opted not to drop off of Atkins completely, instead added more carbs and stayed within 10 pounds of my current weight. Yesterday was my first day back on induction. I haven't felt the need to add more carbs and I pretty much eat the same things over and over, I have gotten lucky that I am not bored at all.

Julie, I have been through the not feeling well at all. I am not sure why, but every couple of months I have a day or so where I am constantly in the bathroom, and just plain sick. It seems to clear up when I add a bit more carbs, like an extra helping of cauliflower. It will get better, make sure you are drinking decaffinated tea, and plently of water!

My other advice for those who don't seem to be losing is this: always do measurements. I have noticed when I don't lose weight, I lose inches. It seems like my body readjusts itself along the way. Also, make sure you aren't doing a low fat version by mistake. I didn't lose for a few weeks and couldn't figure out why, then I reread my journal and it dawned on me I was eating very low fat; lots of chicken breast (boneless skinless) and fish. I added more fat and presto down 5 pounds that week. Also exercise, I hate it and it is my biggest problem

We all have a huge battle going on, but for me the biggest step was reaching out for support. I am so glad that I found this site, and I will be here daily
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 17:16

BF:
Default Hi

Julie, I am glad you are feeling better. What is the name of the web site where you got the recipes? I could use some more variety.

I weighted today too, and no loss for me either! I'm going to exercise EVERY day this week, I have been doing 4 or 5 days, hopefully I'll have a loss next week.

Hi Chbbybnny, glad you found this site - I try to check in every day. It really helps to know you're not alone. Good luck!

Summer
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:33

BF:
Smile Hiya Summer and Chbbybunny

Well have taken on board what every one has told me over the past couple of days and I've upped my veggie intake - which to be quite honest was practically non existant and today I've had 12 carbs of veggie and lettuce. So hopefully the sickness might not come back for a while.

On the weight front - I dont weigh again until wednesday, but I decided to measure myself again today (2 days early). I've lost another half inch off my waist and a whole one inch off my hips - YEAHHHHHHHH

On a personal front I'm not doing so good - I've now gone from my fiance is never around - to - I've got to leave his home. I gave up my home and moved my daugher (who's 12) 45 miles to be with this man 2 years ago - so now I have nothing. She's settled in a new school and made good friends, I have a job with the civil service - but its just not working between us. I love him to bits and he loves me - but its not enough. He still leads the life of a single man (no women though) and does his own thing. We on the other hand or should I say I - know no-one and work is the only company I have.

I am only 37 years old and cannot envision my life being forever this way. Even though my heart is with him I know I deserve better. So now I have to start all over again and try to find us somewhere to live. I have thought of going back to leeds - but feel guilty because my daughter has taken along time to settle here and I would be up rooting her from all her friends again - either way he says we've to go.

Anyway I feel better now I've actually said all of that - I'll come back tomorrow. Take care everyone and Happy LCing.

bye
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:40

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 367/316/200
BF:
Default Permanent Induction

I've been on the plan for about four months now and have tried to stay right around 20 gms the whole time. I did not want to reverse the positive direction I was heading after my initial two weeks. After a while, I started adding things like tomatos to my salads, and started eating some strawberries with cool whip topping, just to add a little variety. I kept a lose count in my head of the carbs but I figured if I was off by a couple of carbs, it would not make that much difference. I like meat, and usually had no trouble staying within the 20gm area. Staying at the "induction" level, really hasn't bothered me a bit, in fact I am discovering new foods and recepies inorder to keep it interesting.

You should know however, that even at this level, I did/do occasionally suffer stalls in weight loss. Some lasing several weeks. Just keep it up, because your body will continue to burn fat. The KETO sticks proved it, but the scales didn't move. Eventually, they did and I have continued to loose.

Bottom line is IT WORKS! Even when you don't think your loosing weight, your loosing fat, and the weight will catch-up.

Hang in there.

herrchilds
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:20

Stats: 358/296/160
BF:

Julie, it sounds like you are going through some tough times...but it sounds like you also have a clear idea of what you need to do. I think it is great that you know you need to do this for yourself; that is so important not to forget about your needs. I wish you well and please know that we are all here for you.

I have been doing good with induction, not one cheat
You know, its funny.....I have dieted all my life (I am 21) and have always sincerely had good intentions. It wasn't until I started to accept myself (I am not trying to get all preachy ) that I really started to see changes. I was looking at the thread about what everyone hates about being fat....everyone seems so sad. I wanted to post on it, but it completely brought my whole self esteem down just reading it. Yes, I hate being fat, but why would I want to dwell on the horrible things? There was a simular thread on a different site but it was all the things to look forward to when we were thin. It makes me really sad to read all of those thoughts. Since I started Atkins, I made a commitment not only to lose weight, but to beautify my whole self. And let me tell you, it has done WONDERS. I was just thinking about all of that and decided to write about it

Well, I had better run, I have major packing to do, I am moving this weekend
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:58

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Julie,
It's good to see you here! I think this forum really helps along our LC journey. I had been doing LC for several months on my own before I found this forum. I'm so glad I found it, it's made all the difference in the world. Just a little encouragement or an admonition to DRINK YOUR WATER, can go along way. Many of us have read different LC books and we all pick each other's brains.

I would ditto the idea of checking your measurements. I haven't lost quickly lately...but have lost and inch in my waist and an inch here and there around my chest and rib area. If I hadn't checked with my trusty tape measurer, I would get discouraged. But it tells me I'm still making progress. Just keep drinking your water, make sure you eat enough (10 x your body weight) and eat your low carb vegies.

chbbybunny,
I agree with you on the "why I hate being fat" thread. It can be depressing. But I think it's important for everyone to face why they are trying to change and express themselves. I like looking forward to the benefits of not being fat better...better perspective. I've already experienced some of them already. And I am no where near goal...but I can fit into a booth at a restaurant without fear of not being able to get in comfortably. Once you've experienced the "booth squeeze" you appreciate when there's more room!

Oh, and as far as stalls go. You're not in a stall if you are losing inches. I liked what Doreen had to say....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by doreen T

Plateaus are good, and necessary. Plateaus mean a levelling off. When you're climbing a mountain, a plateau is a welcome relief, and chance for the body to catch up. Weight loss plateaus should be viewed the same way. The body is just levelling off, giving the mind-set extra time to develop the new lowcarb habits. If we hit a plateau, and cheat or binge with carby foods, it's like going back down the mountain, and the climb back up to where we were is harder than ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to think of a plateau as a phase that the body chooses to be in when you're doing everything right. Whereas a stall has a cause .. whether it's a health condition, cheating or not following the chosen program as written or food allergy or undereating, overeating, lack of exercise, etc etc etc.

Doreen

Well, I hope that helps. Don't fret. Be patient with your body. Just keep doing what you've learned, and keep learning about Low Carbing. Victoria

Last edited by Victoria : Tue, Jun-18-02 at 09:06.