Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 07:16

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmm ... I've had a few friends who went on Atkins about the same time as DH and I did. I noticed that they started to look a little gaunt and drawn and it was all I could do to bite my tongue and NOT tell them they'd lost enough. Now that their facial skin has had time to tighten up they look great! So don't get too impatient with your friends - they just might be worried because your skin hasn't caught up with the loss of fat and it makes you look too thin!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 09:20

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I think that happened to me too. When I started Atkins, I had a friend tell me I didn't look well and I should stop losing weight. But now people tell me that I look ten years younger, or I look a lot healthier than I used to.

Alton does have that gaunt look in the "happy birthday" photo.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 09:29
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
Here's a pic:

I think he looks great! This is him again when he started Good Eats.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 12:09

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The thing that got AB and others interested in Food Science was this guy: Harold McGee. And his favulous book: On food and cooking. Something you might enjoy if you're truly a food science geek.

great book!
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 18:18

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I think he looks great! This is him again when he started Good Eats.

Agreed, he looks lean and healthy
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 19:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/165/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakum
he got really chubby on road tasted, a show where they traveled around the country reporting on the various diners and pit stops they found. he ate a ton of fried breaded food and gained a lot.
he is so science minded, i know he gets it.

actually that was 'feasting on asphalt' not 'road tasted' but i can't seem to edit the post above.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 06:40

Plan: CR Marine Paleoish
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5 Ft 2.5 In
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
AB: My food world’s kind of changed this year. I’ve completely reworked my food intake. I’ve lost 50 pounds since March. Badly needed. I’d gotten up to about 213 pounds, and I’m down around 165 right now, so I’m at fighting weight. So I’m very, very, very highly restricted to what I allow myself. There’s a lot of things I don’t allow myself, and probably never will. I may never have a spoonful of ice cream for the rest of my life, for instance. There’ll be no chili cheese fries for me. So I don’t look at food the way I used to, because I used to eat everything, but now I’m highly restricted. But that’s the reality of my body. I can’t eat certain things. So I’m heading out onto the road again with a bit of trepidation, because I’m scared of my willpower failing. Fruit smoothies, canned sardines, and almonds make up about 90 percent of my intake. And so I’m packing most of my food, I’m taking most of my food on the road. I will eat at places, because I do have favorite places, but Chicago’s going to be especially dangerous. I used to live in Chicago in the late ’80s, and it’s my favorite town in America. I could spend days just walking restaurant to restaurant. Although I’m a little bit out of danger, because they closed Gold Coast Dogs on Hubbard Street a while ago, so I’m not as vulnerable as I might have been.

cool interview
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 09:59

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I watched the Good Eats episode last night (with beer and wine) and I thought he looked thin and hot. He had on jeans and a tucked in shirt. Perfectly flat stomach.

We've only just discovered him this summer; I love the science but hate the carbs. I'll be interested to see what changes in his thinking and his shows. I think everyone on Food Network is far too fat. It's kind of poor advertising---why would you want to cook any of their stuff if they're all so huge?
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 10:31

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%

I love me some AB, and think he looks great, he has lost that carby bloat thing. For some reason, many celebrities do not like to label their WOE as "low carb", but many celebrities do watch their carb intake as a way to maintain health and ideal weight.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 10:34

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I think he's fabulous ; witty and a real knock out. I really enjoy his programme on Food Network.

I've just ordered his latest book from his TV show Good Eats The Early Years.[B]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tYWMaignA
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 11:30

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Fruit smoothies, canned sardines, and almonds make up about 90 percent of my intake.

So, he's semi-starving himself?
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 11:57

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I meant to come back and post the smoothie thing. My theory about him being on lowcarb seems to be shot, especially given that he makes those smoothies with bottled grape juice as the liquid.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 11:59

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl

So, he's semi-starving himself?

It sounds like it. I don't think a foodie like Alton is going to do really well on such a restrictive diet in the long term. Waaaaay too much temptation, long hours, expectations. I don't envy his position. Good luck AB.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 12:02

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
I meant to come back and post the smoothie thing. My theory about him being on lowcarb seems to be shot, especially given that he makes those smoothies with bottled grape juice as the liquid.

THAT is what's gonna make this hard for him, if he is indeed making smoothies with sweetened grape juice. But that sounds kinda fishy to me. That may just be a contractual thing with Welch's though.
Everything on TV being suspect and all.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-09, 12:32

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yeah, I should say that I am basing my 'grape juice' comment on the way he made smoothies on Jimmy Fallon. He still could have done that for contractual reasons, although the bottle had no label.

Only other theory: does Welch's make a splenda version? I think some of those overpriced fruit juices (ocean spray etc) do.

Although he still used whole grapes.