Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 17:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 5'-8"
BF:
Progress:

I would argue to HAVE THE SCAN done.
Three years ago I had a TIA, which plunked me into a hospital for 2 days,
where I underwent every test imaginable. A CAC scan wasn’t included, but a
nurse suggested I get one, a freebie at this hospital. I thought 'free is good,
why not?'
I was sent home with a prescription for a “strong” statin, and they also
pushed a daily baby aspirin.
Apparently, because they were so fixated on my cholesterol, they failed to
identify my severe heart disease!
It took a five minute CT scan to discover my precarious situation, I had a
shocking, 'better write that Will', 4 digit score!

I immediately dove into researching just how I had gotten myself into such
a pickle, and how I might get the hell out.
I was a grain-a-holic vegetarian for 35 years, and I learned from the Fat
Emperor, that all those processed grains and sugars caused an ongoing train
wreck inside my arteries.
Now I eat nothing processed, I’m on a strict Ketogenic diet, which I’m
convinced is going to be my salvation.
So, I think the scan my have saved my bacon!, Bacon.... yes!, it’s time to eat!

PS-
Another way to indirectly check your heart health, and avoid being zapped
with the scan, would be to have a blood test, including insulin. That could
also show you if you're heading for the rocks.

Last edited by oob-la-dee : Fri, Apr-17-20 at 08:11.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-20, 13:45

Plan: still figuring that out
Stats: 175/175/190 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress:

Hello All,
I found this site through one of Ken's posts online.
I'm 44yo and just had a calcium score and I have 200 on my LAD
Also, I have a genetically high lp(a), I think around 400.
My cholesterol is around 200, trigs are low, bp is good, exercise is good.
I tried statins and they made me irritable. No go.
I've had a lot of gut issues and never been able to tolarate a plant based diet. I just feel horrible on it. I know that my gut likes keto, but I still fear making my CVD worse. Can you guys point me to any other success stories in reversing CVD that will help inspire me on this journey?
  #228   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-20, 02:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, The Fat Emperor is the "king" of CAC reversal stories. Somewhere back in his thread is Ken's story and one from another support group member showing it is possible to reduce, not just stabilize the CAC score. Here are some of the blogs, podcasts etc on the topic: https://thefatemperor.com/?s=How+to+reduce+CAC+score

Ivor Cummins has this year been spending much time on data from Covid infections and economic impact of lockdowns but he still intersperses heart disease info. Episode 87 earlier this month. https://thefatemperor.com/ Search his blog, videos, podcasts.

Dr Nadir Ali in Texas is a prominent cardiac surgeon supportive of a LCHF diet and alternative measures of heart disease. https://youtu.be/qXtdp4BNyOg

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jul-10-20 at 03:04.
  #229   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-20, 12:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome, The Fat Emperor is the "king" of CAC reversal stories. Somewhere back in his thread is Ken's story and one from another support group member showing it is possible to reduce, not just stabilize the CAC score. Here are some of the blogs, podcasts etc on the topic: https://thefatemperor.com/?s=How+to+reduce+CAC+score

Ivor Cummins has this year been spending much time on data from Covid infections and economic impact of lockdowns but he still intersperses heart disease info. Episode 87 earlier this month. https://thefatemperor.com/ Search his blog, videos, podcasts.

Dr Nadir Ali in Texas is a prominent cardiac surgeon supportive of a LCHF diet and alternative measures of heart disease. https://youtu.be/qXtdp4BNyOg

Thanks Janet.
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 16:47

Plan: still figuring that out
Stats: 175/175/190 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress:

Thank you Janet for the links.

I found the Patrick Theut episode especially informative.

https://thefatemperor.com/want-to-r...w-podcast-ep21/
  #231   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 02:11

A new success story about reversing CAC score.

Greg’s doctors told him that heart disease was irreversible – he proved them wrong and reversed his coronary calcium score by 40% on keto

https://www.dietdoctor.com/gregs-do...e-by-40-on-keto
  #232   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 08:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Greg's story is remarkably similar to mine absent the heart attack. He became well versed in the concept of low carb first (key to success), and then adapted it based on his responses to the LC WOE. The reduced CAC score confirms what many of us suspect and a few have experienced (Ken) after embracing low carb/ keto as a way of life. Very encouraging to hear about reducing CAC, as there are some who claim it's impossible. Never give up or give in to doubt when we are still scratching the human nutrition surface. Our shared n=1 experiences mean everything. Good story.
  #233   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 09:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm wondering if I had mine done too young. I was 60 at the time and my score was zero, which is typical at that age. I wonder if I should get it redone later in life?
  #234   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 09:48

BF:

Im hoping this is CAC info by dr berry.
https://youtu.be/uLxleetQgUA

Yes , correct link. He also adovates vlc or carnovore to get insulin DOWN to normal or low.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Sep-16-20 at 09:55.
  #235   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm wondering if I had mine done too young. I was 60 at the time and my score was zero, which is typical at that age. I wonder if I should get it redone later in life?

Ivor has mentioned men in their 40s and 50s getting a CAC, I've not read anything about "too young". Rather, have heard about being "too old". See post #20. This is all dated information.
  #236   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 12:11

BF:

Getting one "early" would seem prudent. The sooner you know, the sooner to take action.
  #237   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 07:19
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Stories about significant reductions in CAC scores are still relatively hard to come by. I did see the one a few months back on DietDoctor.com. It was impressive. I want to report another one that I recently learned of...

Today on Dave Feldman's Lean Mass Hyper Responder group I saw a post by April Sanchez where she reported a big CAC drop in the past 2 years. Here is what she posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Sanchez - LMHR FB Group 10-13-2020
August 2018 - CAC score 342
October 2020 - CAC score 249
93 point decrease! Thank you Keto WoE, exercise and great heart-healthy supplements!

That's an impressive 27% reduction in her score in 2 years - keto all the way. She was asked about what she did to reduce her score and she replied...
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Sanchez
Koncentrated K; Vitamin D - 5000iu; Vitamin C - 5g; Pure Encapsulation Nutr 950; desiccated liver; Magnesium Glycinate 700mg, zinc, probiotics; ox-bile (no gallbladder). That's generally about it. I was a gym rat until Covid. I generally walk 2.5-3 miles 4-5x/week. And of course eat strict keto since 1/1/2018.

I also am a LMHR and no statins ever!

I've seen many posts by April over the past few years. Her TC is consistently above 400. LDL-C has been in the 240 to 315 range much of the time between those two scans. Her trigs under 100 and HDL above 90. That hits all marks on Dave Feldman's "triad" definition of a lean mass hyper responder.

So again, it is hard to imagine that LDL-C alone is causal for arterial plaque formation. If this is the case how are we LMHRs lowering our CAC scores? As for me I'm still eating LCHF/Keto. My weight is creeping up some, but I'm still very active and eating healthy (no grains and minimal sugars/seed oils). I supplement daily with K2 (MK-7 & MK-4), D3 (5 to 10,000iu), Iodine, fish oil and drink a few ounces of Dr. Davis's Magnesium water recipe throughout the day. I still walk in the noon day sun for extra D in the spring, summer and fall. I take no statins. No prescription drugs.

It was 28 months from my baseline CAC in January 2017 to my first follow-up. I plan on doing the second follow-up after another 28 months has passed. So September 2021 is what I'm shooting for. I'm hoping (and expecting) continued progress.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Oct-13-20 at 12:22.
  #238   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 07:40

BF:

There doesnt seem to be any mention about calcium in the diet. A tablet supplement or mindful acquirement via fooods like green leafy or dairy....

Given the increase and then decrease in recommended daily doses for women, I would think daily consumption of calcium might play a role. ( Recommended amount for women raised then associated with higher heart attack rates. Recommended amt reduced. )

"Dr. Davis's Magnesium water recipe " lost my recipe. Looked it up again.

Dr Davis has a great write up....

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2020...r-step-by-step/

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Oct-13-20 at 08:19.
  #239   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 09:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Stories about significant reductions in CAC scores are still relatively hard to come by. I did see the one a few months back on DietDoctor.com. It was impressive. I want to report another one that I recently learned of...

Today on Dave Feldman's Lean Mass Hyper Responder group I saw a post by April Sanchez where she reported a big CAC drop in the past 2 years. Here is what she posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Sanchez - LMHR FB Group 10-13-2020
August 2018 - CAC score 342
October 2020 - CAC score 249
93 point decrease! Thank you Keto WoE, exercise and great heart-healthy supplements!

That's an impressive 27% reduction in her score in 2 years - keto all the way. She was asked about what she did to reduce her score and she replied...
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Sanchez
Koncentrated K; Vitamin D - 5000iu; Vitamin C - 5g; Pure Encapsulation Nutr 950; desiccated liver; Magnesium Glycinate 700mg, zinc, probiotics; ox-bile (no gallbladder). That's generally about it. I was a gym rat until Covid. I generally walk 2.5-3 miles 4-5x/week. And of course eat strict keto since 1/1/2018.

I also am a LMHR and no statins ever!
I've seen many posts by April over the past few years. Her TC is consistently above 400. LDL-C has been in the 240 to 315 range much of the time between those two scans. Her trigs under 100 and HDL above 90. That hits all marks on Dave Feldman's "triad" definition of a lean mass hyper responder.

So again, it is hard to imagine that LDL-C alone is causal for arterial plaque formation. If this is the case how are we LMHRs lowering our CAC scores? As for me I'm still eating LCHF/Keto. My weight is creeping up some, but I'm still very active and eating healthy (no grains and minimal sugars/seed oils). I supplement daily with K2 (MK-7 & MK-4), D3 (5 to 10,000), Iodine, fish oil and drink a few ounces of Dr. Davis's Magnesium water recipe throughout the day. I still walk in the noon day sun for extra D in the spring, summer and fall. I take no statins. No prescription drugs.

It was 28 months from my baseline CAC in January 2017 to my first follow-up. I plan on doing the second follow-up after another 28 months has passed. So September 2021 is what I'm shooting for. I'm hoping (and expecting) continued progress.

Hi Ken, I've seen a (very) few stories like this, as it wasn't too long ago we were hearing that CAC scores could not be reduced. There were a few of us that didn't buy that thinking. April's experience is a good one to share. Her supplements are very similar to mine, and I noticed that she's getting her K spectrum from KoncentratedK, which is what I've been taking. Due to KK's wealth of K2 (MK-7, MK-4), and K, I've started taking one every other day. Not sure if and when I'll get a follow-up CAC, but I've read results of downward trends as well, and the WOE and supplements those folks used are very consistent among those who've reduced their scores. It's just good to know that lifestyle changes with the help of some targeted supplements enable improvement, so that it doesn't appear to be a life sentence. Ahhh, yeah, they used to make those claims about T2D as well. Bet the pharmaceutical companies loved that way of thinking.
  #240   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-21, 10:53
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

It's been 28 months since my last CAC scan. It was 28 months between my baseline in 2017 and my first follow-up in 2019. It's time for another follow-up. I saw my PCP today and she wrote the prescription for it (which is required in Virginia). So I hope to get an appointment next week. It will be nice to have that 3rd data point. As I have not changed my diet, supplement regimen or active lifestyle in any significant way this next follow-up will either show that my last score was a fluke or confirm the downward trend. I'm optimistic that the latter will be the result. If not another reduction, a minimal rise would be my second choice.

I had a 54% reduction in calcium between those first 2 scans - 347 to 158. Even though I had the scans done at the same clinic, they had updated to a new machine between my two visits. When I furnished my results to Ivor Cummins, he was quick to ask if my scans were done on the same equipment. So apparently different machines can yield different results. You'd hope that a 50% difference would be beyond the tolerance for error. Anyway, I'm hoping that my next results are on the same scanner so we can put that controversial detail to rest.

BTW: My doctor does not believe that my score went down. She believes that it was a fluke due to some variation in the two machines combined with the accuracy tolerance inherent in these devices. She said "Calcium scores don't go down." Where have I heard that before?

I'll report my results here when I get them (good news or bad).

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Sep-17-21 at 14:48.