Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 06:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/125 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Trying again

I have been on many diets and have failed. I have been working out 5:30am 4 days a week which consists of 15-20mins cardio and 30-45 minutes weight training, I have been at this for 3 months and nothing. I have been watching my calories trying to stick at 1000 calories or lower a day......and nothing. I am not toning and I am not losing any weight.
In the past the only diet that worked for me was the Atkins diet, I lost weight fast and that is the way I liked it. But as usual I got bored with it...
I do not like salad and I am not a veggie lover either, which makes this diet hard for me. I like quick and easy meals, because I am on a tight schedule, juggling work and my 4 year old child.
Anyway my question is......
Can someone please give me a list of breakfast, lunch, supper and snack ideas, that are quick and don't require some fancy ingredients.
I need meals that are easy and fast, but still filling and tasty.
I figure this time I am going to stick to it (how many times have I said that), but with the excercising down pat, if I can do this I should lose all the weight I want. I am now 160lbs but really want to be 125-130.
Please Help, I am really getting down. Especially that I am up so early working my butt off, and seeing no results. And especially when my smaller friends all eat take out and don't gain weight and I just watch them eat it and don't lose! Man I am at my wits end, so this time I am ready!

Kazaa

Last edited by Kazaa : Wed, Jan-17-07 at 06:42. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 08:56
Registered Member

Stats: 210/176/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 57%

I use bagged lettuce (pre-washed and cut) to save time. You can make grilled or pan fried chicken ahead of time and place in ziplock bags in the fridge (use the individual frozen chicken breast in the large bags, you don't have to defrost before cooking). On Sunday's, I boil a dozen eggs to keep on hand for snacks and also make a few deviled eggs. Pork rinds are good snacks with sour cream. I cook the entire pack of bacon and divide in ziplocks for easy snacking. Fried spam is quick. Sometimes I will make a container of chicken salad for quick additions to my salads. Set a few hours a side at some point, prepare your snacks and you will have them in a pinch.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 09:16

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 314/295/250 Male 69
BF:2 much %
Progress: 30%

cook eggs by the dozen
cook chicken by the 3 lb bag
cook up burgers by the half dozen

get some lettuce
cheese sticks
cucumbers and radishes

what else do ya need?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your tips, although I will have to pass on the lettuce. Not a lover of salad or veggies at all. I will definately try the other things you suggested though, I guess I will have to be very well prepared and organized for those days that I could eat the legs off the table.
I have a question about Granola though, is that high in carbs.?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 09:19
Registered Member

BF:

Great ideas, but I need more variety or I will get bored.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 10:40

Plan: My own Low Carb Plan
Stats: 196/194/165 Female 5'5
BF:Very fluffy!
Progress: 6%

You are going to need fiber...you don't eat ANY veggies at all?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 17:51

Stats: 274/208/180 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Kazaa, the book and the websites (here and Atkins) have many many recipes that will keep you from getting bored. Like tonight, I'm having delicious pan seared chicken breasts in a tarragon cream sauce. (Really not complicated at all, chicken, butter, oil, cream, Dijon, and tarragon.) Tomorrow night, we're having chicken wings. Last week, I made beef stroganoff (no noodles), a large ribeye steak, and egg drop soup (of course not on the same day!). I could go on, but you can be creative. There's plenty of variety on this diet. I know you said "quick and easy meals" but sometimes you have to put a little in to it to make it fun. Hope that helps!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 19:30
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

You might find it convenient to buy a countertop electric grill. You can cook a steak, or any other piece of meat, in about 6 minutes.

As a past "I detest all vegetables" person, I recommend that you try them lightly steamed. Just wash them off, put them in a covered microwave-safe container with only the water that clings to them from the washing, and cook on high for a minute or 2. Toss them with butter and, if you like, add a little grated cheese. You may find, as I did, that vegetables are quite tasty when the poor things aren't boiled to death!

For your first foray into the land of vegetables, I recommend that you choose a low-carb veggie with a mild flavor, such as green beans, as opposed to broccoli or cauliflower, which have stronger flavors. For your "test run," buy a small amount of the highest quality you can find. That way, if you still detest them, you won't have lost much by just tossing them out.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 20:38

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 237/183/155 Female 5'7"
BF:Plenty, thanks.
Progress: 66%

Ditto Kisal.
I used to only eat starchy veggies like potatos and corn but some experimenting has changed my mind on quite a few LC options. One of my new faves is zuchinni, it's the tofu of the veggie world, a taste chameleon (sp?) and takes on the flavor of just about anything you cook it with.
As for granola the carb count will be fairly high, I would avoid it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 06:37
Registered Member

BF:

Thank -you so much for all your advice, I am starting on monday. I have many ideas now and know exactly what kind of things to stock up on, from the grocery store.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-07, 17:47

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I imagine granola would be 'Atkins-legal' once you reach the grains level/rung of OWL, but check the ingredients for any sugars added!