Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 04:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The War on Meat has begun, and there are many reasons to join the resistance

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
11 August, 2019

The War on Meat has begun, and there are many reasons to join the resistance

Matt Ridley

What starts out as a suggestion then becomes ostracism and ends in state coercion

The BBC, misreporting a United Nations report, wants us to switch to a mostly plant-based diet in order to alter the weather. Would it work? No. A recent “meta-analysis” of all the peer-reviewed papers on this topic found that if the average westerner gave up meat altogether it would cut her total emissions by just 4.3 per cent. This is because food is only a modest part of our emissions. And since vegetables are cheap, the savings would almost certainly be spent on other things with emissions attached, so the actual reduction would be even smaller than that. The effect on the climate would be unmeasurable.

“Eating carrots instead of steak means you effectively cut your emissions by about two per cent,” says the environmental economist Bjorn Lomborg. “As a vegetarian for ethical reasons, I will be the first to say that there are many good reasons to eat less meat. Sadly, making a huge difference to the climate isn’t one of them.”

Although the BBC seems oddly obsessed with the topic of meat – given how little difference it would make – at least it does not intend to force us to become vegetarians, let alone vegans. Or does it? Last November the former head of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, Christiana Figueres, mused: “How about restaurants in 10-15 years start treating carnivores the same way that smokers are treated? If they want to eat meat, they can do it outside the restaurant.” The climate is just the latest feeble excuse for the nannies who love to lecture us about our diet. In an all too familiar progression, what starts out as a suggestion then becomes ostracism and ends in state coercion. All based on a false premise.

There are other environmental arguments against meat eating than the fact that it generates a little more carbon dioxide per calorie of food than a vegetarian diet. In energy terms, cows are about 10 per cent efficient at turning plants into meat; chickens and pigs more like 30 per cent. So if we ate the plants directly, we would produce fewer emissions and farm less land, leaving more for nature.

But much of the plant material we grow on arable land cannot be eaten by human beings – straw, for example. Plus cows, pigs and chickens turn the indigestible stuff into manure without which soil conservation would be harder and organic farming all but impossible. Professor Imke de Boer of Wageningen University argues that the most carbon-efficient agriculture must include some animals.

Also, much of this planet cannot be used for growing crops, but can produce fodder for sheep, cattle, goats, camels and chickens. The hills of Scotland, Wales and the Lake District, for example, are not suitable for wheat, nor is much of the Middle East and Central Asia. Without these animals, we would not only ruin many farming communities, but have to plough and plant a lot more land elsewhere to grow the protein and fats that we otherwise get from animals – and that would mean destroying more forests and wetlands, because unlike sheep and cows, those crops need well-watered, fertile soil.

Bad idea!

Then there is the health argument. It is very difficult for humans to thrive on a purely plant-based diet. Unless they are affluent and have access to balanced nutrition, vegan children become deficient in iron and vitamin A, stunted in growth and delayed in brain development. A study in rural Kenya found that eating eggs made children grow five per cent faster.

This is why globally, as living standards rise, meat and dairy consumption is increasing twice as fast as population. Throughout the developing world, when people get access to dairy products and meat, their stature and IQ tend to shoot up. Denying this opportunity to the many people who are vegetarians through poverty rather than choice would be grotesque. The United Nations posturing about meat abstinence sounds like “let them eat cake”.

Of course rich Western adults could eat less meat. In the United States, the two companies making realistic fake meat from a mixture of plant proteins – Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat – have expanded to meet growing demand. The share price of Beyond Meat has rocketed by 700 per cent since its float in May despite making a loss and despite the fact that meat substitutes comprise just one per cent of the meat market in America.

Having eaten some of these products, I can believe they will rival the best tasting meat. I’ve enjoyed fake fish and chips and fake scallops (deep-fried banana flowers for the fish, slices of mushroom for the scallops). It will be great having the choice of eating vegetarian and well, even though environmentally I may not be doing the right thing. But the moment somebody decides to shame or coerce me into being a vegetarian, they will lose my vote.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...oin-resistance/

Quote:
Plant-based diet can fight climate change - UN

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49238749

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 05:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
This is why globally, as living standards rise, meat and dairy consumption is increasing twice as fast as population. Throughout the developing world, when people get access to dairy products and meat, their stature and IQ tend to shoot up. Denying this opportunity to the many people who are vegetarians through poverty rather than choice would be grotesque.

After reading that, who would want to be vegetarian?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 05:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

NPR News had a special segment about this same UN report released August 8th. On and on about not eating meat. Plant-based was the solution to everything. It makes no sense to convert grazing lands, not fertile or wet enough for crops, into agricultural land.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/7495...needs-to-change

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ure-must-change

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/7493...-climate-change
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 06:00

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
After reading that, who would want to be vegetarian?

I would say "who would want to be vegan?" because that's how those lacking access to meat and dairy are actually eating, whether intentional or not.

Vegetarian actually doesn't sound too awful - at least they're eating dairy and eggs, so they're getting complete proteins. Besides, looking at the nutritional stats for eggs, they're such nutritional powerhouses, low on very few essential nutrients, all of which would be supplemented in a vegetarian diet by dairy or various vegetables. The only thing is that if the only animal products they're eating is eggs, they're going to need to eat quite a few of them to get enough of those nutrients. You wouldn't be able to get by eating one egg a week, or even one egg a day (with no other animal products), and make up for what's lacking if the rest of your diet is plant based - the deficiencies would still eventually catch up with you.

Being vegan, on the other hand - that's so seriously lacking in essential nutrients (especially essential amino acids) that it's downright dangerous, particularly during the developmental years, which is when you'd end up with the reduced stature and lower IQ problems, not to mention serious health problems. As we've seen reported on here, adult vegans also end up with some serious health problems, which are then alleviated when they resume eating animal products.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 07:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Joel Saladin is a strong advocate for grazing animals as they keep the grasses in growing mode, which continualy pulls carbon, etc , from the air. Its the optimal food cycle. Carbon sequestering.

Chickens. More and more people are rediscovering chickens. Great bird to eat food waste from the kitchen, and return eggs and stew meat.

As I walked thru my garden yesterday, I noticed grasshoppers are back. While Im not ready to eat grasshoppers, my birds will. Adds animal protein to their diet. When my garden was lawn, no grass hoppers. Though the sheep did graze it.

We need to think how to make more quality protein to augment the vegetarian diet. A little goes a long way to create good health.

Vegetarianism is not usually by choice, it is due to lack of acquiring animal protein due to lands converted to cropping and human housing. Hunting land is gone, most tillable land is cropped not grazed.

Eggs are cheap to produce, milk products is one of the most expensive, but not as much as the lab grown beef protein at $100 per pound currently.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 12:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

. . . And related to another active post, these are the very people who would advocate taxes on meat and recommend those who consume meat would require higher health insurance premiums. Movement to penalize those who eat unhealthy foods and contribute to climate change is underway. Doesn't matter whether either of these have been proven, come on, it's just common sense!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 13:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Deep fried banana flowers. Takes the only health part of deep fried fish that's actually good for you out of the picture.

You can eat mushrooms and say they're scallops all you want. Not sure why you'd bother, mushrooms are already pretty yummy as mushrooms. I had a salad at lunch, except it was a big bowl of heavy cream sugar-free ice cream. I'd rather have just had the ice cream, but we all have to do our bit.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-19, 13:49

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I should clarify that the only food ingredient in the salad was heavy cream.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 07:35

BF:

My kind of salad . . .
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 08:01
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I saw a post by Jimmy Moore on Dr. Westman's LC Support Group on FB this morning. Apparently his youtube videos were targeted by some vegan group recently (as he saw an uptick in negative comments), then suddenly his account was shut down and 15 years worth of content wiped out. He is appealing the decision.

It really is a war. It's scary to see where this could go.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Aug-12-19 at 09:02.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 08:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

It seems like the vegans have a very powerful lobbying group sending out tacit bribes in the form of contributions to governments and the UN.

As I've been saying for years ... there are zillions of acres of grasslands on the planet. Cows can feed on these grasslands with nothing added that mother nature doesn't provide. This land is not very fertile. To farm this land you would need extensive amounts of fertilizer, herbicides, insecticides, and our post precious limited resource, water. Plus you will need to use fuel guzzling, CO2 emitting farm machinery to cultivate it. A pound of beef on that land would pollute much less than a pound of lettuce.

According to Cornell University and the EPA making fertilizer emits 100 times more methane than all the cow farts and burps
https://earther.gizmodo.com/just-on...pa-h-1835376030

And to the person who mentioned eggs. both eggs and fowl are high in arachidonic acid and should not be eaten with anyone who has arthritis.

Myself, DW and at least a half dozen friends went on the arthritis/bursitis diet and cured ourselves without medical intervention.

Besides, eggs aren't vegetarian. What vegetable produces an egg?

So fight back before they take our meat away. Spread the word. Going vegetarian is worse for the environment than a balanced omnivorous diet.

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 08:59

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I saw a post by Jimmy Moore on Dr. Westman's LC Support FB group this morning. Apparently his youtube videos were targeted by some vegan group recently (as he saw an uptick in negative comments), then suddenly his account was shut down and 15 years worth of content wiped out. He is appealing the decision.

It really is a war. It's scary to see where this could go.

Hi Ken, That's horrible FB has shut down Jimmy Moore and 15 years of content.
So many people have their entire business tied to their FB account. So sad that they can do that to people without any recourse. It's out of control.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 09:02

BF:

Watched a documentary last night great information except for it was actually biased based on just a few studies as the measure of meat products.

It vilified all meats and animal products including eggs and dairy, but not once was the vegetables defiled by the mention of pesticides and herbacides.

When I walked into the grocery store this morning, I could only see poison. What is there to eat that we have not contaminated with toxic chemicals.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 17:48

BF:

Feel sorry for Jimmy Moore. Some will stop at nothing to eliminate the "offenders" of whatever dogma they support. Respectful debate is becoming a thing of the past. When actions like this can happen anonymously, it's now an invisible force that can harm people without any fear of retribution or personal responsibility, and quickly it gets out of control.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 20:02

BF:

Im not familiar with Jimmy Moore. Is there away supporters can influence FB 's decision??