Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 05:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default I rebooted, and I'm glad!

I think everyone who backslid during 2020 gets a pass I didn't do too badly, all things considered. I made my own low carb treats for the most part, I added low carb mixers to my rum, and didn't face-plant at any point. For a former binger, that's big

New Year's Day was about me going back to what I knew worked. I'll be taking off the "COVID fifteen" pounds, renewing my commitment to eating food that is good for me, and grateful I have figured that out.

For everyone who messed up, big or small, call yourself human, get up, dust yourself off, and find new treats that are body-legal for you.

In my case, I had to get over the ingrained Poverty Training that kept arguing with me about buying all that meat. But when everything else is condiments, it's not that expensive, is it?

And the money I save on health care is incredible. Because my autoimmune is in remission, my hands already feel better, my skin is healing those "warning patches" and my mood is wonderful.

As they say, success is getting up one more time after you've been knocked down
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 06:11

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Good advice. Thanks for sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 07:18

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think everyone who backslid during 2020 gets a pass I didn't do too badly, all things considered. I made my own low carb treats for the most part, I added low carb mixers to my rum, and didn't face-plant at any point. For a former binger, that's big

New Year's Day was about me going back to what I knew worked. I'll be taking off the "COVID fifteen" pounds, renewing my commitment to eating food that is good for me, and grateful I have figured that out.

For everyone who messed up, big or small, call yourself human, get up, dust yourself off, and find new treats that are body-legal for you.

In my case, I had to get over the ingrained Poverty Training that kept arguing with me about buying all that meat. But when everything else is condiments, it's not that expensive, is it?

And the money I save on health care is incredible. Because my autoimmune is in remission, my hands already feel better, my skin is healing those "warning patches" and my mood is wonderful.

As they say, success is getting up one more time after you've been knocked down

Good for you! So did I dec. 2020. Have rebooted a few times over the years. So glad I did. We all need to fine tune and even reboot now and then. Our bodies change, our lives and routines. Some things need to go some new to be added.

Bless ya! Good post.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 09:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great post, Wear Bear
2020 certainly was...um, weird.

August 6th was the 10th anniversary of "being low carb" but to be honest, I was way off track by that point. I re-booted the diet with some slight changes by increasing protein, adding more vegetables, while optimising nutrition. I am no longer just guessing at a time restricted eating period which may or may not help me. So setting new health goals this year, and there is no better time to start than now.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 11:53

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Were bear, this is just what I needed to hear, though I gained 20kg in 2020, I am focused and will try my best to stick with this. Look forward to reading more from you in 2021. Good luck !
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 12:23

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Congrats on rebooting. It’s important to take stock once in a while and go back to basics. I am grateful for warning signs like you expressed. It’s a good fair warning that I’m too far off track. For me it’s mosquito bites that turn into half dollar size bruises.

“2020 was ... weird” —>
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 14:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Best of luck to rebooters. I'm fortunate that my family, friends, coworkers and I all made it through 2020 relatively unscathed. Food/lifestyle-wise, things didn't change much for me because I work a seasonal job and I'm used to being laid off... just not for quite that long.

A lot of people poo-poo the idea of New Years resolutions, and I can see why - too much hype, too many people thinking they're going to flip a switch and change overnight. They think they're going to suddenly have the discipline to go to the gym and starve themselves after trying that and it didn't work the other zillion times they've done it. But I still think there's spiritual value in looking at the end of the holidays and the start of a "quiet" period as a good time to reflect on the previous year, what did or didn't work for you, fix poor habits, and set some realistic goals.

My own reboot is putting a focus on protein prioritization and strength training after dipping my toe in the water last year. I had great results. I'll put those in a separate post... something I meant to do last spring but never did. But I'll be celebrating my 19th anniversary as a LCer (and member of this forum) soon and if I learned anything, it's that life is always throwing things at you and you'd best keep learning and adapting as needed. One of my mantras: "what you're doing only works until it doesn't work anymore." Be prepared to reboot regularly.

Wishing everyone a successful 2021.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-21, 15:53
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Best of luck to rebooters. I'm fortunate that my family, friends, coworkers and I all made it through 2020 relatively unscathed. Food/lifestyle-wise, things didn't change much for me because I work a seasonal job and I'm used to being laid off... just not for quite that long.

A lot of people poo-poo the idea of New Years resolutions, and I can see why - too much hype, too many people thinking they're going to flip a switch and change overnight. They think they're going to suddenly have the discipline to go to the gym and starve themselves after trying that and it didn't work the other zillion times they've done it. But I still think there's spiritual value in looking at the end of the holidays and the start of a "quiet" period as a good time to reflect on the previous year, what did or didn't work for you, fix poor habits, and set some realistic goals.

My own reboot is putting a focus on protein prioritization and strength training after dipping my toe in the water last year. I had great results. I'll put those in a separate post... something I meant to do last spring but never did. But I'll be celebrating my 19th anniversary as a LCer (and member of this forum) soon and if I learned anything, it's that life is always throwing things at you and you'd best keep learning and adapting as needed. One of my mantras: "what you're doing only works until it doesn't work anymore." Be prepared to reboot regularly.

Wishing everyone a successful 2021.
Wisdom. Congratulations on your LC anniversary.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 06:52

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I thought I was the only one to reboot.
Guess not
My issue has been that everything seems tasteless
Nothing I used to enjoy seems to have any taste at all
and if it does, I don't like it
Have no idea why the change
Unfortunately the only thing that tastes good are carbs
ergo, the reboot
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Wisdom. Congratulations on your LC anniversary.

What she said! ^^^^^^
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I thought I was the only one to reboot.
Guess not
Nothing I used to enjoy seems to have any taste at all
and if it does, I don't like it
Have no idea why the change
Unfortunately the only thing that tastes good are carbs
ergo, the reboot

One of the absolute best things about this forum is that ... none of us are alone. There is a better than even chance that what we experience, has been experienced by others here too. Meaning that we can browse and lurk to feel connected and not beat ourselves up.

Regarding the lack taste and/or dislike of the taste, you might try to engage other senses that happen before you taste the food. For example, using fragrant herbs can engage and please your sense of smell. Or make "pretty" dishes that engage and please your sense of sight before you actually taste it.

I get that carbs taste good. You are not alone in that feeling. I would sometimes kill for a candy bar. My biggest downfall - what triggers a hop off the path for me - has been the Russell Stover holiday candies. From there, it's an easy hop to savory carbs (fries mostly because I cannot eat gluten without getting sick, not that that stop it from tasting oh-so good.)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 11:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay

That's quite the awful issue.

For me, a similar issue is that when nothing seems appealing, I'm not really hungry Once I am in the groove, that's a reliable guide.

Also, I'm tracking again, just because a period of tracking everything keeps me from fooling myself. When I started the autoimmune elimination diet, I tracked for three months. I still have that data, and it might be a useful guide again.

I use the free version of Carb Manager, which I like very much. It's easy access to the foods we eat most, we can duplicate a meal easily, and I LOVE the scanner for the UPC code. I take it to the grocery store, so I don't even bring home something that won't work for me.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-21, 13:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Benay, Assume you thought of Covid? Have read the loss of taste/smell is sometimes the only symptom, and only in mild/asymptomatic cases.
https://www.healthline.com/health/c...e-loss-of-smell
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-21, 04:41

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Jey - I hadn't thought of that at all!
Asymptomatic CO VID.
Well at least I live in isolation from others at my residence so I can't share.
Thanks for the idea.
I will work from that.