Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 11:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation Shawn Phillips on Ab MYTHS.

From an e-mail newsletter (on which distribution list you can be placed at www.bestabs.com )

MYTH #1: You MUST do hundreds of sit-ups to get your ABS in great shape.

What! Do hundreds and hundreds of sit-ups... are you crazy? Believe it or not (I know, I had struggled with it too), this myth is still one of the top "points of confusion" in ab training. I truly thought this age-old myth was long since gone. Just when I think there's been an evolution in collective training knowledge, I find that the power of a myth like this has a life of its own. It refuses to go quietly. So, here I sit, giving this vicious ab myth my best "left hook"--one more time. Let's see if we can't knock it out for good!

Let me share a "secret." This little tidbit of information is a rather valuable fact if you want to develop great abs. It's a simple truth I've applied to my abs for years. Ready? Your abs? You know, the ones you're going to build, sculpt, tone? They're not made from a space-age material: they're actually muscle. Yes, real muscle, like your biceps, quadriceps, hamstrings, pectorals, etc. Consequently, to stimulate hypertrophy (growth), you MUST train them with the same brief, intense workouts you use to train other muscles. Anyone using high reps to develop strong, muscular abs is wasting time and energy. It simply does not work. The High-Volume Trap You see, an effective ab exercise regiment requires a balance of INTENSITY (the force the muscle produces) and enough reps and sets to break down muscle. All too often, the challenge of creating intensity sufficient to "stimulate" the ab muscles gets this balance out of whack... Given that, for the most part, ab exercises are restricted to bodyweight for resistance, and you can't simply jump up another plate, this causes people to fall into what I call the "High Volume Trap." Helpless, without the knowledge to create sufficient levels of intensity, they end up increasing the volume, cranking out reps of sit-ups like Krispy Kreme pumps out doughnuts.

High-rep ab training is not without effort-be careful not to make the common mistake and confuse "effort" with "effective." Common sense can betray us--and in this case it does. Breathing hard and sweating profusely after your ab workout is effective IF your goal was to breath hard and sweat, but NOT if it was to develop your ab muscles. Shear volume of sweat is not a good measure of results. It doesn't work this way. I call this "bread sandwich logic"--it's like adding more bread to your sandwich when you've got no meat. Adding carbohydrates can't make up for the lack of protein any more than increasing volume can make up for a lack of intensity. High-rep ab training results in only fatigued muscles, not muscle development.

If you have any doubt, consider this dramatic example: Compare the leg development of a world class sprinter and a marathon runner--they're both track athletes, yet at opposite ends of the "intensity-to-volume ratio" spectrum. The muscular and defined legs of the sprinter are the product of repeated, short but very INTENSE bouts of training--as in the 100m sprint. In stark contrast, the marathoner is "engineered" for low intensity and maximum volume (time). Their lanky, thin muscles, and "bony" bodies are ideal for conserving energy and withstanding long, repetitive motions. Well then, so much for the age-old myth that hundreds of sit-ups would build great, well-defined abs.

The Solution: Focused Intensity

If you're ready to develop the foundation for great abs, the ab muscles themselves, then it's time to start treating your abs with the respect you give other muscles, and accept the fact that, like with all other muscles, INTENSITY is key. Increasing the intensity of our ab training is possible, but first we have to revamp your notion of intensity. You see, it's not just about weights anymore.When you think about it, you'll notice there is something very different about ab training in general.

Let's go back to the basics for a minute. How do you build muscle? Well, you pick up a dumbbell and you curl it. The weight serves as resistance, placing your biceps under tension. The greater the resistance (weight) the more tension is required to curl it. This level of tension is called the "intensity" of the exercise. The intensity must be at a certain minimal level to induce ANY muscle growth-the response to muscle tissue breakdown.

One of the biggest mistakes I see in ab training is people doing thirty, forty, fifty, or oftentimes even hundreds of reps-what I call the "marathon of ab training." Not fun. I cringe at the thought. Muscles, WHETHER YOUR BICEPS OR YOUR ABS, need an intense force to stimulate them. You can't curl your pencil a hundred times and get a bigger biceps. We all know that, yet for some reason, we think that abs are different, that they have their own set of rules (ah, the myths).

So, once again, we are back to the question: How do we generate sufficient intensity in our ab workouts? You could try putting a dumbbell in your teeth as you do your ab crunches to increase the intensity. But honestly, I think there is a better way. Correction, I know there is a better way. By applying the power of focus, you can and will create the type of intensity I'm talking about.

Personally, I've benefited from some specific techniques that elevate my mental and physical focus for many years now. The result is, by the eleventh or twelfth rep of simple ab crunches, my abs are burning so bad I want to scream for mercy. You may be saying to yourself, "Yea, I'd have to see it tobelieve it." Well, I have no problem with that but you might try it for yourself first. It'll save a lot of travel time.

When training your abs, intensity is in large controlled by your ability to focus. The POWER of focus is an amazing element... and if used properly, it will help you build your muscles. What is "focus?" Well, as a reference point I can tell you it's not watching television. No, that's not focus; rather it's simple, passive "observation" at best. Focus is "concentrated attention" and in the case of ab training it is specifically a concentration of attention on and in your ab muscles. The power of your mind to simulate the muscles is real. In fact, you can literally focus so hard on the contraction of your biceps that it feels like it could just explode. Have you ever practiced that? Just really focused on one muscle with complete attention? Try it! Try curling your arm in, and squeeze your biceps until it literally hurts and feels like it's going to explode... feel that? That, my friend, is FOCUSED INTENSITY!

I think you'll agree, the ability to control your attention, to focus and use its energy effectively is important in many areas of your life. Focus is required for true, deep enjoyment of life. The moments that we are most focused on are the moments we are most enjoying. Wouldn't you agree? Training has helped me build my body and at the same time strengthened my capacity to focus-and it has served me well in all areas of my life; in my work, my relationships, even when at play. I'm confident, whatever your current strength of focus, practice can serve you as well. The more focused, the more productive we are in all areas--and thus, the more time we have to invest. And the downside? You'll have some great abs!

So, what's the take-away? Intensity is KEY to the muscle building process. You can't make up for a low intensity in your ab training by doing a "sit-ups marathon." Think about abs like the muscles they are. I mean, you wouldn't treat your chest this way, right? You wouldn't bench 50 lbs. for 50 reps and expect your chest muscles to grow. Would you? (If so, we've got a lot of talking to do.) Give your abs the same respect--aim for training them with intensity and one effective route to intensity in ab training is through the POWER of FOCUS. When you learn to generate total "focused intensity" you'll be able to consistently promote muscle development--building stronger, fuller, and more sculpted abs.

BOTTOM LINE:
Forget the volume meter for abs: think "focused intensity!" To stimulate hypertrophy (growth) in your abs, you must train them with the same brief, intense workouts you use to train other muscles. Until next time...

Wishing you the ABSolute best,
Shawn Phillips
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 03:59

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default good one!

Shawn Phillips is THE MAN! He's always had good, solid training advice.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 06:46

BF:

He's not hard to look at either

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 13:54

BF:

Bump for KT

N
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 19:10

Plan: Starting this over
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........okay. So what the best exercise to do this?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 02:11
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:

I would like to put my little ab workout here. My favorite is a leg lowering. The concentration is on the lowering of the legs rather than the raising. Back flat, head against the mat. Do them very slow on the way down concentrating on the lower abs they hit them very well. I also do crunches, without hands behind the neck and not allowing the shoulder blades to hit the ground. Slow reps and get a good squeeze and hold at the top before lowering. Those are my two main ab exercises. The best I think, but I'm no expert, just a guy with fancy abs.

Alex
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 10:36

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexoc949
I would like to put my little ab workout here. My favorite is a leg lowering. The concentration is on the lowering of the legs rather than the raising. Back flat, head against the mat. Do them very slow on the way down concentrating on the lower abs they hit them very well. I also do crunches, without hands behind the neck and not allowing the shoulder blades to hit the ground. Slow reps and get a good squeeze and hold at the top before lowering. Those are my two main ab exercises. The best I think, but I'm no expert, just a guy with fancy abs.

Alex

sounds VERY familiar! Those are great ab workouts!

So...um..Nat, where's this Shawn Phillips photo at?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:07
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Nat:

This should be a sticky, it's so useful. Oh, I bet it's somewhere amongst the links and I just found it through the back door.

The hardest ab work I ever did was when I barely moved my body at all! My Kinesiologist had me train my TVA muscle, holding for 10 seconds/ set. You look like you're laying down, doing nothing except for the look of intensity on your face. In the beginning, I felt silly doing them at the gym, but the results were great.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 12:12.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 11:32

BF:

Wanda, I came here looking for something else and saw this. Your TVA experiment reminds me of these tiny little exercises I do where you try to pull your belly button through to your spine while keeping your back flat on the floor. Ouchies!

-N
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:30
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Interesting article!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 12:39
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Wanda, I came here looking for something else and saw this. Your TVA experiment reminds me of these tiny little exercises I do where you try to pull your belly button through to your spine while keeping your back flat on the floor. Ouchies!

-N

Yep, that's it!!!!! Ouchies!!!

Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 07:45

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
From an e-mail newsletter (on which distribution list you can be placed at www.bestabs.com )

If you have any doubt, consider this dramatic example: Compare the leg development of a world class sprinter and a marathon runner--they're both track athletes, yet at opposite ends of the "intensity-to-volume ratio" spectrum. The muscular and defined legs of the sprinter are the product of repeated, short but very INTENSE bouts of training--as in the 100m sprint. In stark contrast, the marathoner is "engineered" for low intensity and maximum volume (time). Their lanky, thin muscles, and "bony" bodies are ideal for conserving energy and withstanding long, repetitive motions. Well then, so much for the age-old myth that hundreds of sit-ups would build great, well-defined abs.

Wishing you the ABSolute best,
Shawn Phillips

BUT! What if you WANT thin, lanky muscles? I don't want a thick waist. (ie sprinter legs) I think it depends on your personal idea of "great abs". So, then high repetition would be appropriate.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 11:55

Plan: Anabolic diet
Stats: 355.0/308.0/230.0 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

there are only 2 variables that affect muscular strain, namely load and speed of contraction. slower reps are counterproductive, because as you purposely slow your reps down you have to also lower the weight (load) to be able to continue. basically, muscles will either a)grow, or b)shrink. thats about it, unless you consider flexibility or nueromuscular efficiency. longer sets of slower reps do not give you "leaner" or longer muscles. they are just less efficient at building muscle, so as you lean out from diet/cardio you tend to notice your nice lean (small) muscles coming out.