Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 09:50

Plan: Aspiring Paleo
Stats: 144/136/127 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Any Lupies out there? :)

Hi All,

I have lupus and ra, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has found lcing helped them with their disease. I met a girl who said her lupus got much better when she went on a glutten/wheat free diet.

Just curious.

TTFN,
Andie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 11:14

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Hi, I don't have Lupus, but was tested for it and RA a few times thru the years because of symptoms. When I started lcing, the joint pain went away, along with muscle aches, and most of the fatigue. Months later I ate one pancake and all the symptoms came back for a week. My knees just stung (after about 2-3 days) So I've been avoiding wheat and other gluten containing grains since then. Two books that explain the wheat/gluten autoimmune problem are The Protein Power Lifeplan and Life Without Bread. ~Gail
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 11:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been reading up on gluten intolerance and celiac disease, it appears a bunch of autoimmune diseases might be caused by gluten intolerance! I don't have either of those, but I had Graves Disease, an immune disease and I have a feeling I might have issues with gluten. So I'm trying out a strict gluten free diet before I get the expensive tests done, just to see if I get better.

This web site talks about it: https://blossom.safe-order.net/clan...exp_doctor.php3

Here's a good one to read: https://blossom.safe-order.net/clan...s&category_id=2

DR. RUDERT: Most certainly autoimmune disorders are associated with Celiac Disease. Unfortunately, in the U.S. due to the delay in diagnosis, more commonly, Celiac Disease is diagnosed after another autoimmune disease has already been suspect. Autoimmune disorders may include insulin dependent diabetes, hyper or hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, pernicious anemia, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus to name a few. I am presently following two patients with multiple sclerosis and Celiac Disease. In fact, there is an ongoing study at the NIH evaluating individuals with cerebellar ataxia (difficulty walking) and gluten sensitivity. Most certainly, Celiac Disease can present with extra-intestinal health conditions. Epilepsy has also been reported as an association in addition to other neurologic disorders.

In the recent Annals of Neurology, Volume 49, No. 4, April 2001, was a report titled "Gluten Sensitivity in Sporadic and Hereditary Cerebellar Ataxia." This article recommended that patients with hereditary ataxia should be considered for screening for gluten sensitivity and gluten-free diet trials. I have spoken with Dr. Shill at the NINDS (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) and they are still recruiting patients for the study. Questions can be addressed to the scheduling secretary Ms. Barbara Kimber at 1-301-496-0600.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 14:05

BF:

Hi Nancy and Gail,

Thanks so much for your responses. I am only on day two of lcing, but I feel like total crap. I know this is just because I am getting rid of all the toxins in my body, so I will be happy when this phase passes. I am supposed to start Chemotherapy for my Lupus and I am trying anything that would help and allow me not to do that.

Thanks for your insight, and I wish you both the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Andie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 14:06

BF:

Nancy,

BTW, I am an SDSU grad now living in Tampa, FL. We will be moving back there next year. I never realized how good I had it, until I left! Enjoy SD, it's the best!

--Andie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 14:15
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah! I went to college in Upstate NY and I know, living is good here!

Awaldron, you've got Carb Flu! It takes about a week for your body to switch from glucose over to ketones for fuel. Unfortunately it doesn't feel very good in the process. Hang in there, you'll be fine.

I found a lot of low carb baking supplies along the way but many of them have gluten, so I'm cutting them out.

You'd be amazed at the stuff gluten is in, like toothpaste, the glue on stamps, deli meats, vitamins, soy sauce, all kinds of things! If you want to give a gluten free diet a trial, best bet is to go look on a Celiac web site and see what things to watch out for.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 07:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You might want to consider adding vitamin D and calcium supplements to your regimen as well. Vitamin D is a super hormone and its deficiency has been well documented as a cause of immune diseases

Vitamin D and Lupus
http://www.warf.ws/technologies.jsp...secode=P00062US
http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/15/14/2579
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...4&dopt=Citation
http://www.findarticles.com/p/artic...2_7/ai_85523005

Vitamin D Info
http://www.bioticsresearch.com/PDF/...4%20Vasquez.pdf
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.co...sp?AID=460&UID=
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 09:16

BF:

Thanks for the info about vitmamin D and calcium!

--Andie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 14:12

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%

I was diagnosed (throught testing) and symptoms with lupus/hashimoto's, anticardiolopin antibody syndrome, and fibro)...This was in 1992.....my lupus test are negative right now, but symptoms still exists...I spent many years on predisone, right now I am taking plaquinal, neurotion, elavil, synthroid, and other meds for diabetes, and high blood pressure...keppra for seizures and migraines...The neurotin has just kicked in and is helping me with my feet pain...I am so looking forward to getting off of the carbs, and try to get gluten free...I want to feel good again...Thanks for this site...patricia
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-05, 14:18
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! With all those autoimmune things, I'd definitely get tested for Celiac disease, there's a very, very strong connection.

I've just decided I am going to get the full range of testing done by Entero labs, it tests for DNA markers as well as looking for antibodies in your stools.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 14:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/304/160 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

my wife is in the middle of tests to figure out if she has lupus. She will be very intrigued with this forum section
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 10:36
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow! With all those autoimmune things, I'd definitely get tested for Celiac disease, there's a very, very strong connection.
And don't forget to take your D!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 09:32

BF:

Nancy,

I notice your plan says no dairy, no gluten. I have heard two conflicting answers to this question: Is there gluten in Milk and/or milk-based products? Such as cheese, half and half, etc?

Thanks,
Andie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 09:43
Experimenter

BF:

No, no gluten in most milk products. But I am intolerant of casein (a protein in milk). I can't digest the stuff, same with gluten. I found out from a test at enterolab.com. So I'm off wheat and milk products. But I've only been milk product free for a few days however I think it is helping a lot. My stomach isn't so bloated and I think the remaining IBS is going away. I'm hoping the sore muscles/joints goes away too.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 09:24

BF:

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the reply! Wow, that's tough! I thought giving up sugar and wheat was tough, but milk products too? Doesn't it seem weird that the things we were told were good for us all our lives are actually making us sick? I have to admit, when I first started no gluten, wheat, sugar I kind of thought it was all BS. But now, I am off ALL my medications and running again! Who would have thought? I did lapse over Christmas and got sick for awhile, but I am back on track and feeling better. It's so funny that people say, oh it won't really hurt you, and yet IT DOES! Even my rheumy said he didn't think giving it all up would help me THAT much, and yet my blood tests say I am doing so much better. To think that I almost went on Chemo rather than trying this first. I am sure a believer NOW!

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better as a result of giving up wheat and dairy. Are there any substitutes that you can use? Like veggie cheese slices, etc? At least you are in SD where you have organic and vegan stores and restaurants. We don't even have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in Tampa. Whenever I go to Cali, I stock up and bring stuff back with me! HA HA HA

Hang in there and post your progress. I hope that you continue to feel better!

--Andie