Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-09, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
The current issue of O (Oprah Winfry's mag) has a piece on a comparison of the different diets. The conclusion is that the most effective is low carb (Atkins) followed by Mediterranean, then Zone, then low fat (weight watchers) then Ornish. Notice how the effectiveness of the diet is directly proportional to the lack of carbs/presence of fat.

Your friend might not believe you, but will she believe Oprah?

I read that! I was so happy to see it in the Oprah magazine... particularly because she has such a HUGE audience! It's good to think that many ppl will be reading it -- hopefully lots of ppl who really need it
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-09, 19:59
Registered Member

Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

I can't tell you what I think of most docs now. I think they care but don't know squat about healing.

I posted my story else where in the forum but I could have lost my kidney's due to the BP meds I was blackmailed in to taking. I need thyroid meds so I have to go to a doc and she is nice and does care.

They should be paid when someone is cured.

I am doing what I started to do in the first place before I was blackmailed. I told them I can't tolerate drugs as they make me sick but now maybe she will believe me.

Every nasty drug out there makes me very ill.

I am now working to do natual stuff, Drinking more and walking. Doing vitamins and vinegar for blood pressure.

I feel like a crud going through the withdrawal too. I figured out it got worse today because I started vitamins as I could not eat anything good before. I got sick from even drinking water. Maybe that is why I got so I did not drink so much either. I don't know. It seems to be clearing up a tiny bit tonight the weird feeling from not taking the drugs. Been off them for a week and a half.

Barb
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 04:59

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I sometimes think it's a waste of time going to docs unless it's for trauma. They try to make patients take the drugs by guilting them. I am beginning to lose track of how many times I've just said no.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 16:20
Registered Member

Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

They they say they won't treat you. That is how I was blackmailed. True I was in trouble at the time but I did not know about the MSG hidden in food and how it effects me.

As well as my weight.

I was just sent an email and a herb hawthorn, and dandelion root lowers BP.

Mil Thistle will clean the drugs out of one's system so I am going to get them.

Barb
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 12:14

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Then tell her to listen to her fellow countryman, Barry Groves, former RAF pilot and low carber for the last 40+ years.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/

I agree, Barry Groves talks sound common sense along with his expertise. The mind boggles at the thought of a GP who tells a diabetic to eat chocolate at any time.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 12:29

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm happy to say that I was able to help my uncle... he's what you would consider a pretty healthy/active man. However, a while ago he hurt his knee and that effected his level of activity. Now, he's been diagnosed with triglycerides in the 500's! Naturally, he was put on medication and started to eat less fat and more carbs (naturally!)... well, I spoke with my aunt and educated her on the TRUTH... I also recommended Taubes' book, GCBC. Thank God, she listened. Now, he's eliminating carbs and upping the fat. Can't wait to hear about upcoming blood work.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 13:08

Plan: Ducan
Stats: 246/209/134 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

I did a carbohydrate food trail about 3+ years ago in Cambridge.During the 6 month trial eating mostly carbs I put on over a stone.
I was already struggling with carbs and this just proved it too me that carbs really were the problem.
Since cutting them back to normal, then cutting them almost to nothing I have lost all the weight and more.
I used to have constant arguments with my friend who is a nurse. My mother and brother are both diabetic T2 I told my mum to cut up the diet sheet and pointed her in the right direction...she lost weight and has never needed medication.
I also have two friends of which one was a badly controlled T2 diabetic...it took the last two years to convince her about carbs...they are now both losing weight and her need for the medication is dropping.
I was a nurse and I know the medical profession look for evidence.
But what evidence are they using. Are the trials accurate.
What else do they take into consideration.
Also we are all individuals....

Why give someone a diet sheet with scones etc on when for years we have been told we shouldn't be eating them...

Become diabetic and its ok!!!!!

No it isn't.......