Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 05:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/143/127 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm an other Israeli, Ramat-Gan located. I've seen on this board and on other the need for a group eating LC and Kosher (more or less). But no one seems ready to "pick up the flag". And we do need a place to meet, where we can find recipe for meatballs without cheese and so on.
Gmar Hatima Tova to all!
Yael
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 15:19

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 150/135/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 75%

shana tova all...
i was wondering if splenda is sold in israel or maybe it's under a different name? also, any low carb breads w/o sugar or fat? thanks....jodi
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:14
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

wish i did, to all of the above, but no, haven't seen any. I think you can get some varieties of diet RC cola that is sweetened with Splenda, but not all. And I haven't seen any low-carb breads. I did go into a health food shop in Jerusalem (on Emek Refaim) last week and saw that they had protein bars, and there's the shakes I mentioned above, but other than that, that's it. I've ordered some of the low carb tortillas online before, and they're quite good - they're also kosher. But it's expensive to get them delivered here, of course.

Shana Tova,

Deborah
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 21:53
Registered Member

BF:

I think there is an equivalent in Israel to Slenda. It is called Sucra diet, it is based on sucralose. You can find it (although it's well hidden!) in all supermarkets, super-pharm and health stores, in diet products section. It comes in unit bags, like sweet' lo. It's not cheap. 10 shekels for a box of 25 bags. Also I use sometimes a sliced bread called 7 grains light bread by Angel. It has 4.4 g carbs. in it and 2.9g diet. fibers. Even if you don't substract the fibers, it's not a bad counting. I'm not sure if we're allowed to substract because I read somewhere that only in the States the fibers are listed separately.
Hag same'ach and low-carb sweet new year!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 05:56

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 150/135/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 75%

thank you for your replies about splenda and the low carb bread...i'll keep on searching and let you all know what i find. im located in beer sheva where there is even a smaller selection than in some of the other cities but i guess i would be willing to travel to get some good stuff....chag sameach
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 07:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/201/130 Female 5ft.2in.
BF:
Progress: 11%

How exciting - I just found this board, and it's great to know that there are others in the forum with the same difficulties and interests. The GMC stores have a protein powder - I just looked and didn't buy - and I'm not sure if it was kosher. I think it was about 140 shekel. Does anyone take supplements? - the ones Atkins suggest or Eades? Do you buy them here?
How about a prize for the one who comes up with a substitute for pork rinds?

Goldie
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 07:08
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hiya,

I dont really keep kosher, but I am Israeli and I go to the kosher butcher at times to get Israeli products. I make my own tahina which is low carb. Also ptit crackers have 3.3g a cracker.

The kosher butcher here surprisingly has lots of low carb products from LC candy and cookies to muffins and rolls.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 09:04
Registered Member

BF:

Shabat shalom,
I know that we are some Israelis on this list and/or on other lists. I was thinking we could perhaps unite once in a while and order stuff from the States. I would like for example to try the Keto cereal but the shipping is almost the price of the product.
Any comments?

Last edited by evelyne : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 09:06.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 09:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 132/114/110 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Default More Israeli low carb products

Hi: I live in Mitzpe Ramon. My nearest big town is BeerSheva.
Here's what I have found:
In the supermarket: Sweet N Low Tablets..sold in 1000 tables in
a tall red tube. This has 0 carbs per 100 gr. A liquid low carb sweetner
is a Sucrazit by dietif (eng. translation), sold in a tall plastic
container. Telma makes a 0.5 carb per 100 ml parve whipping cream
that whips up great in 2 minutes (sold in a 250 ml container in the
refrigerator section.) The Marmalite company recently changed their
package design to bright red. Now making various flavors of "jello"
which I have not tried. They also make chocolate & vanilla puddings
and mousses. The carb counts are a little high for me, but I use 2
250 ml cups to their suggested one cup, mix according to directions
and fold in either 1/2 cup or a full container of whipped cream. I use
it either as a pudding...or I put 1/2 cup into a paper cup with an ice
cream stick and freeze it. It's my husband's favorite dessert...and it's
very low carb.

Don't forget tofu..also in refrigerator section; it's only .86 carbs per
ounce (35 grs). Also, pure cocoa powder, is low carb.

In the health food store I found: A soy milk made by an Israeli company
Zuriel in Eng....I buy the 1 percent without sugar. It's sweet because
it does have asolfime K (spelling??) which does not afford metabolism
and the box lists 0.5 carbs per 100 ml. Another product: Cavalier brand
chocolate. Sweetener is maltitol which also does not affect metabollism.
Per portion of 4 pieces, their label lists 6.5 grs of carbs.

Hope this helps. If you've found others, please let me know.

Tofu eater.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 18:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

...Just to say "Shalom" to everyone here
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 03:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/168/150 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Rafi Ginat - you almost eat like atkins....

Last night Rafi Ginat on tv spoled against Atkins as if he was the enemy of all mankind - but from watching the diet he did - well - he made it, more or less, the Atkins's wat... but instead of eating only one portion of meat a day he chould have had much more and not be hungry at all...
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 13:40

Stats: 196/166/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default israeli products

hi teachkids - i also had 3 kids in 2.5 yrs ..now oldest is 3 and the baby is 6 mo.s...where in jlm?we just made aliya from the states with my 3rd 6 wks old ....im a little in "yiush" cuz i feel like i cant do atkins in israel...im fed up with my body after 3 pregnancies (i even lost 20 lbs on it b4 this third but gained it back and then some with this pregnancy)....im a picky eater and cant eat plain cheese or most fish so my diets pretty boring - in the states they had all sorts of low carb breads and atkins mixes ( & low carb ice cream that was delish) that kept me on it, and its the only diet that works for me but its making me crazy that i cant find any of the ingredients to make stuff even if i COULD find the time!! (i have a low carb cookbook but it needs vital wheat gluten, wheat bran, soy protien powder, most of which -besides the gluten -i found at the dudevan Health food store but with NO hechsher (1 thing was with a rabbanut that i didnt know if i could trust, but the rest mamish no hechsher!)) i need chizuk if im ever gonna lose weight........???
thanks!!!
giving up in jlm,
dveykus
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 152.5/149/136 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi,

I am living in Germany at the moment, but have lived in Israel (TA) for two years (1999 to 2001). I am in the middle of deciding whether I want to go back to Israel or to the UK, where I have also lived for quite some time (just under 9 years).

I would have thought that especially in Israel an LC WOE would be quite easy. Depending on the style of LC you do, I guess. You have a whole range of protine sources, that are also low in fat, which would suit SB, such as the 1/2% fat Cottege chese, yoghurts etc. As for the bread, there used to be this chain of breadmakers (I think they are called Lechem Ha Aretz or something along those lines anyway) that make wholemeal bread. OK, comming from Germany I am used to different kind of wholemeal. I used to buy the German imported bread (Pumpernickel kind), which you get in any suppermarket.

Viv
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 15:20

Stats: 277/260/220 Female 171 cm
BF:
Progress: 30%

Shalom le-koooooolam!

I had no idea there were any other Izzies out there!

Although I'm originally from the Netherlands, I have lived in Israel for over 30 years!

All you guys seem to be mostly in the central region while I'm in the extreme North: Etsbah ha-Galil.

I haven't really searched very hard for LC products, just working with 'real' food! But I do appreciate all the info you posted here and I'll certainly look for those things, hopefully before I get bored with what I'm eating now!

We don't keep 'kosher', so that's one less headache!

Anyway, just wanted to say Mah nishma!

Lehit!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 05:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 167 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default New Israeli on South Beach diet

I'm looking for fellow dieters in Israel. Have a ton of questions about phase 1. Also want to know if anyone has an address of somewhere to buy splenda and stevia in Israel.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Mar-16-06 at 11:09. Reason: As per the forum rules, please do not post email addresses.