Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-19, 17:03

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Next time they tell you don't eat beef because of the methane tell them this:

Next time they tell you don't eat beef because of the methane tell them this:

Quote:
People tend to equate methane with cow farts (though their burps are worse), but we may be pointing our fingers in all the wrong places, according to a new study. The production of ammonia for fertilizer may result in up to 100 times more emissions than has been previously estimated for this sector. And that alone is more than what the Environmental Protection Agency estimates all industries emit across the U.S.

Link: from Cornell University and the Environmental Defense Fund

1) The veggie people tell us to quit eating beef because of the methane, and it turns out their fertilizer production puts 100 times more methane into the atmosphere than cow farts and burps. And the study didn't mention the CO2 needed to run the plants to make fertilizer.

2) As long as the beef is 100% grass-fed and not sent to a feed lot, it can exist on the grasslands with nothing but what mother nature provides. If you try to farm those nutrient poor prairies, you need to add tons of water (our most precious resource), fertilizers, herbicides, and till it with gas guzzling farm equipment.

So it turns out grazing beef on grasslands is much kinder to our climate than growing tomatoes or corn.

So the next time someone tells you to have meatless Monday to help the environment, point out that they are mistaken, beef is kinder to the environment than fertilizing veggies.

But if you buy corn fed beef, you are defeating all of that.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 09:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Great find Bob!!!

NO ONE talks about the methane from fertilizer production--certainly, not an production I have ever heard of before. More reason to find other methods of fertilizing than petroleum based sources, which I assume is the bases of the ammonia production mentioned.

Followed the utube postings of a man promoting the benefits of grazing to the native grasses; the land became MORE productive as the grasses didnt die off at maturity anymore, rather the close cropping kept the grasses growing. Showing how a large track that is grazed section by section is very productive. This is the natural food web of the grasslands.

Also, Grass fed beef can be a method of carbon capture too. THe grasses pull in the carbon, reducing the atmospheric levels, and gets held in the grass, or if eaten by cattle, in the meats. Until eaten, then we pick up that carbon.

We need to protect the grasslands from development. Once they are gone to growing houses, it cannot be reclaimed. I have seen too many dairy cattle fields turn into houses.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 10:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Not to mention all the burps and farts of vegan & vegetarian humans.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 10:46

BF:

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 15:21

BF:

It's starting to irk me when more and more people broadcast that to save the planet we have to eat less meat. It appears the opposite is true, and I think it's important for everybody who knows better to call them on that.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 12:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
It's starting to irk me when more and more people broadcast that to save the planet we have to eat less meat. It appears the opposite is true, and I think it's important for everybody who knows better to call them on that.

Bob

I hear this from my mother all the time. She repeats ( and believes) what she hears from the loudest voices.

-----------------------
Broken record...
I've been raising sheep for .....ummm, need to calculate..... since about 1987.... sheep can utilize lands that cannot be tilled. Like my 15 acres. Creating areas here large enough to grow a garden has taken some 25 years to turn an area from woodlands to "pasture". While it is easy to cut down trees, the stumps take a decade or more to decay naturally. Sheep can manage in rocky stumpy territory. I did steal one area this year for a garden as the stumps are gone and only one rock that pokes up like an iceburg! And one shade tree left for the sheep for hot days. Otherwise the sheep have been moved to another location for the summer to remove the weeds ( again) and hopefully that area will be planted up with paw-paw and fruit trees.

My point is that sheep and goats and cattle can utilize lands not suitable to tilling. Rotational grazing has been the method used for eons, until fences started to go up. FLocks and herds were moved every few days, allowing the vegetation to grow and recover for the next visit. This was the way wild herds traveled for thousands of years. The herds migrated over vast areas , moving hundreds of miles. Now the system is limited in size, but it still works. THe key is to keep only the number of animals the land can support.

Bottom line is this brings un-tillable land into production. Producing meat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 15:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Bottom line is this brings un-tillable land into production.
And the land does not require machines to plow, seed, irrigate & harvest.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 09:10

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Bob, thanks for posting this! I'll be vacationing with some vegetarians in the not too distant future and I'll keep this one tucked under my hat in case I need it. Personally, I avoid any topic with the vegetarians that could be controversial but I do feel their disdainful looks, and they certainly feel very free to express their opinions to their carnivorous siblings who'll also be there.

The older I get, the more I think it makes sense to question everything the media want us to believe. I believe the majority of journalists are well-intentioned parrots and just doing what parrots do, i.e. repeating what their friendly sources feed them. Others in the media and government, I suspect, are more diabolical and simply seeking more power for themselves.

When I first started evangelizing for low carb and pointing out what I believed to be faulty messages in the media, my kids joked that I was a walking talking SpongeBob Opposite day for low carb. Lately it feels like my whole worldview is turning into Opposite Day!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 11:48

BF:

So many scientific reports are sponsored by people with special interests, and statistics can be manipulated to prove anything one wants to prove.

Add to the mixture that Big Ag gives billions of dollars to health organizations like AHA, WHO and so many others, it amounts to tacit bribery.

So when they say not eating beef kills the planet, I mention only if the beef is corn fed, if it is 100% grass fed, it saves the planet.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 12:05

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

There’s also articles and data out there recons less co2 and methane produced from feed lot cattle than pastured! With just a side mention of possible carbon sequestration and benefits of pasture.

There is no doubt in my mind that slow grown extensive animal production is good for all.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 17:13

BF:

How to educate the general public in the face of all the fraudulent propaganda (I don't call it fake news because that sanitizes it) is the question.

There are well meaning people giving up meat for veggies instead of eating both, thinking they are saving the planet, when in reality, they are helping to destroy it.

If only we can show them that it isn't the beef, but the corn they are feeding corn-fed beef that is the problem. 100% grass-fed beef saves the planet.

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-19, 02:21

BF:

You are right, how to reach the misinformed. Here, we are preaching to the choir.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-19, 07:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
You are right, how to reach the misinformed. Here, we are preaching to the choir.

But if we don't get the word out, eventually the grasslands will be turned into corn or soy fields, beef prices will go sky high, and the fertilizer industry will methane the atmosphere to the point of human extinction. (Admittedly the worst case scenario.)

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-19, 11:07

BF:

I too spread the word to folks around here. Most dont care. Saddly. Most of the big dairy farms, with acres of pasture are gone. Only two remain. The feilds are filled with mcMansions with perfect lawns. For years i could not travel the back road as those new houses made me feel tremendously upset....too few look to the future...

Keep talking! Keep reminding people of the value! You are a great spokes person for the land.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-19, 06:30

BF:

A pet peeve of mine, good food production land turned into lawns.

In my 'perfect' world good farmland would be farmed, houses would be smaller, built on difficult to farm land, and lawns would be illegal.

But obviously, my 'perfect' world would be someone else's not-so-perfect world.

When I was young, there was a lot of prairie-land in Florida. We were the number 2 beef producing state in the USA. I've seen huge farms turned into housing developments. These neighborhoods live in poor soil land, perfect for wild grasses. To grow gardens and lawns requires the use of extensive watering, fertilizing, and tending.

And since the manufacture of fertilizer puts 100 times the methane in the atmosphere, they are contributing to the pollution of the atmosphere much more than the cows did, and we don't get any food out of their lawns.

I don't have a 'lawn'. I planted dozens of trees, lots of ferns, and plenty of shrubs on my half acre. I live on a sand dune with a protected wetlands to the west, and a salt-water lagoon/estuary to the east. The dune is comprised of sterile sugar sand. Any fertilizer or herbicide I put on it will find it's way to the wetlands or lagoon so I don't.

The ferns feed the trees naturally, the leaf litter feeds the ferns and the places that need to be mowed, I mow. But since the grasses are natural, they go dormant in the dry season, and I end up mowing about 6 times per year.

I'd like to be able to grow food here, and I've tried some of the hardiest things recommended, and ended up giving up. I plant native species and feed the birds and the bees.

We do have a huge local ranch that has been in a family for generations. The current elder is a conservationist and sells 100% grass-fed beef. Whenever it is available, I buy from that farm. I don't know the rancher personally, but I support his efforts and the beef tastes great.

Bob