Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I started tracking and portion control a couple of months ago. At the outset it sounded punitive, and I promised myself it would just be temporary. Funny thing is I now look forward to using the tracker every day. I eyeball and count my portions (five olives, 10 pecan halves, six Brussels sprouts, etc.), which is becoming second nature. What surprises and delights me is that I find it at least as satisfying to eat a normal portion of something on a plate as I used to eating mountains mindlessly right out of a box, can, container, pot. It gives me pleasure tracking a meal and seeing all the macros balance out nicely. Weighing myself daily and tracking my food and water intake and keeping the macros within a good range for me is becoming its own reward. Doesn't feel like punishment at all. Since doing this, I've lost back five pounds I'd regained plus two more. The biggest challenge in maintaining is staying honest with myself and remembering that what I did before didn't work and what I'm doing now does work so I need to keep doing it. No way around it.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Dec-03-18 at 10:01.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 09:26

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Hi barb712. What a great success story. The counting out items like olives, Brussel sprouts (I’d definitely count only 1 😊 ) etc is a great way to keep track. I do that too and it is second nature when serving up dinner. When I do go out say to Mexican dinner and eat the tortilla chips - I break the chips into small pieces and then o get 5 for the price of one. Oh how I love to save carbs and $$ 😂 I was inspired by your post. Keep on keeping on. ✌🏼
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 11:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is such a great thread. I’m not at maintence yet, but with 10 slooooow pounds to go I feel pre-maintence skills or “tools” are important.

I went back to tracking in August and I agree with Barb’s thoughts — seeing the macros balance out, etc. was satisfying. After 4 months, last week I decided to stop tracking and it has been really interesting to see my reaction. I had to struggle with feelings of being “off my diet” (**turns in shock to look at self in shock**) what diet!!??? I’m not on a diet!! This is a total life change, two years in...

Very weird, there were a few days of thinking maybe I’d have a bite of this or that and having to reign myself in...because I’d stopped tracking! Losing the support of the structure of tracking made a (temporary) change in my thinking. I’ve bounced back now but wow, a learning experience. I can see how if I were at goal it could cause some slippage.

Like if I didn’t track the food maybe it didn’t really happen?!?

I’m still weighing daily and recording that. I think if I stop that I’d have a similar reaction. These two habits seem to support staying on track even when not losing (I generally stall/maintain for about 6 weeks every 5 pounds).

I think for me the combination of recording during maintenance will be : daily weighing, allowing for a 3 pound fluctuation. And if a weight gain of 5, go back to tracking to be sure macros are in line.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 23:58

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

That sounds like a good plan, Blue Ruby.

That's funny and true what you said about how easy it is to fool yourself into thinking if you don't track it, it doesn't count. Like if you eat standing up, it doesn't count.

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Dec-09-18 at 00:09.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 16:31

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you for the inspiration.

I agree about the need to be honest with oneself.

I slid into carb creep and food creep for a long stretch, and am working my way to a straight-and-narrow I can live with. I don't want to say back to what I did before, because a few years have gone by and life circumstances have changed. It's nice to just be back on track. Am enjoying the discipline, it's that nice calm feeling of being on plan.

Best wishes to all.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 23:06

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Isn’t it so easy to get into Carb Creep. Sometimes I eat low carb food and tell myself, that is 1 serving even though it’s more. Cheese was that way for me. Initially I measured out the size h point of the cheese, then I’d cut off a slice from the block and tell mysel it was one ounce. I also ate cheese like a LC snack not a as all bad for me as I was eating too much of it and convinced myself it was ok. 1 carb 🤔🙄. I’ve quit cheese all together as I can’t be trusted.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 07:59

BF:

Ladyhawk, I agree about the cheese. I find it easier to control my weight without it. It causes other troubles for me, too. Even raw, organic, grass-fed cheeses cause troubles for me.

I find nuts and nut butters problematic, as well.

If I eat enough egg yolks, liver, gelatin, and bone broth, the desire for nuts and cheese isn't there.

It is when I don't plan meals, and don't keep the foods I need for my food plan, which makes it tempting to reach for cheese or nuts/nut butters as "fast food".

A popular LC saying has been on my mind lately: "Failure to plan is a plan to fail."

I like having a clear food plan and having supplies on hand. It really does help to keep me on track.

Best wishes to you.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-19, 14:01

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I'm under goal, but want to get to my happy weight. Just 4 more pounds would feel about right. I try and walk my dogs everyday, that helps. It exercises both of us. I still try not to eat many carbs, under 20 is the best. I'm still trying to see what I can eat to maintain my weight
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 05:53

BF:

Judy, I'm glad you are doing well. I continue testing this and that, too, to try to find what works the best for me.

Best wishes to you.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-19, 21:46

BF:

I track everything I eat. If it goes in my mouth I write it down. I'm paranoid that if I don't I will gain it all back.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-19, 15:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-

tomorrow, 7/15/19, is my 16 year anniversary of starting CALP. It has been a wonderful 16 years. I did the first 6 months or so before I found this site and this community. I actively posted for 15 years, and in this last year I have not posted much and haven't been on the site a lot. I am still on CALP, and have actually lost weight this year (but I'm not changing my numbers on the site). I'm going to repost my 10 year anniversary post. It still is as true today as it was then. It's my way of stopping by, saying hi, and hopefully giving support to members who are still looking to this WOL to help change their lives. I know it changed mine! My health and quality of life has been improved so many ways by doing LC. I've had time to reflect on what has made me so successful in maintaining my weight loss on this WOL- and I come down to the following. First- I picked a plan that I could do and one that fit into my life- I could be LC and still cook and enjoy restaurants and eat dinner with my husband, family and friends. Second- I did LC for my health and focused on the immediate and long term gains in my heath. I knew this was for life- for the long haul. And finally and perhaps most importantly- I never go off my plan. I never take a holiday or or a cheat day or a stress day off plan. I always find a way to stay OP- even if I have to be flexible or have more carbs in a day then usual or have to feel a bit deprived for a while. And I have had lots and lots of stress and lots and lots of celebrations in the last 16 years. I just always stay OP. And I think that's the secret to maintaining- this is how you eat. Period. And I plan to continue to stay on low carb- even though I'm not posting here.
Be kind to each other and be kind to yourselves-
Wishing you all health, happiness and peace.
E

From 7/14/2013
hi-
tomorrow is my 10th 'planiversary' on CALP/CAHHP. I can't believe it has been 10 years! I'm going to mark the occasion by talking a bit about my experiences, and how things are for me now.

I found LC as a direct response to my continued worsening cholesterol and CRP tests. The straw that broke the camel's back was the "off the scale" CRP I had in the winter of 2003. My (then) MD wanted me to eat lower fat (Pritikin levels), double or triple my statins, and go off estrogen. He basically accused me of lying to him about my eating, saying no one who ate as low fat as I did could continue to see rising lipids.
I went home scared and angry. I had been eating low fat, and lower fat, for at least 15 years. I drank the low fat coolaide- believed it all. I said to my DH- if what I am doing is not working I can do it harder or do something different. I then started researching LC, starting with Atkins, Eades, Heller, Schwartzbein, Agatston and more. I remember telling my DH that I KNEW I was insulin resistant and had metabolic syndrome- and that was why I was fat (and getting fatter every year) and my lipids were so bad. I told him that while my kids were not home that summer, I was going to do LC. I asked him to support me and he did.
I chose CALP/CAHHP because it would fit my lifestyle and my personality. I hate measuring or weighing, I like eating and cooking unprocessed foods, and I value eating dinner as a family and going out with friends.
After 2 weeks on CALP it was a miracle. I felt "NORMAL" for the first time in 15 years. Then the weight began to melt off- like magic. And I felt great- lots of energy. Then my skin cleared up, my swollen ankles cleared up, my sleep got better- just everything felt better.
I lost the first 20 lbs by the end of August- and went to a new MD! He told me to keep doing what I was doing- but that my cholesterol was genetic.
I lost 30 lbs by December. I stayed on plan, because I felt great and I knew this was for life.
I started losing again that spring, and lost another 25 or so pounds. Plus my liver enzymes normalized (no more NASH for me!) and my CRP started going down while my trigylcerides were normal for the first time ever.
Since then I have stayed OP. I balance my RM, but admit I eat more carbs at RM now than that first year or two. It is my new normal- and I think I look better today than I did before starting CALP that July 2003.
I will always have the underlying metabolic issues, which eating LC manages. I believe I am insulin sensitive now, and also believe that a few days off plan will push me back to insulin resistance. So I STAY ON PLAN.
The people who I have met on this site, and the amazing wealth of info and resources about LC, has been incredibly important to me. Thank you!
I thank God everyday that I found LC, found CALP, and have been able to heal my life.
E
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-19, 19:34

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Bravo Eno!! Great story of reversal of fortune. Happy for you and your family. Great example to follow here
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 19:11

BF:

I have been in maintenance for about 8 months. Its been interesting trying to maintain my weight
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-20, 04:12
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-
the last post I made on this thread was in 2019. Now it's 2020- and I'm posting again for my anniversary. I would love to see others who are maintaining- come on out and let's talk about it and support each other.
E
I can't believe I'm writing this post on my 17th anniversary of starting CALP and the LC way of life. I'm posting as a way to acknowledge this anniversary, to give myself a hug for this achievement, and maybe even to provide support for others. We hear~so much on this site about losing weight and not too much about maintaining this as a way of life. It has been an AMAZING journey.I am in my sixties, and my healthy~body gives me the ability to have the kind of life I want. I feel good, have lots of stamina and energy, and the kicker is that I think I look good too.~ I feel so right and~so "normal" eating LC and that's what keeps me motivated and keeps me on plan. I actually weigh less now than I have at any time in the 17 years since starting CALP and while the number on the scale and my size is less important to me than my health, this is still amazing to me. I am so grateful to all the doctors, scientists and researchers, authors, and fellow LC followers who have made this all possible. I give the credit to low~carb and the~CALP plan by the Hellers- and Dr. Atkins and Dr. Eades and Dr. Westman and writers like Gary Taubes -~ I know it saved my health~and possibly my life.I still stay on plan everyday- I have read enough on this site to know that getting off plan is a very slippery slope that can possibly end up with me in trouble. For me trouble would be diabetes, heart disease and other chronic health issues. For me, staying OP seems easier than getting back OP if/after I've fallen off- so despite the discipline and determination needed to stay OP - I stay the course. Trust me- I have every excuse in the~book ( that little voice talks to me in my head) to~eat carbs and more carbs all day- but I can talk back to that little voice and tell myself that my~health is worth the sacrifice. Plus I can always have that carb as part of my carb meal if I want it then. That way I don't feel too deprived. Being home all the time because of Covid-19 really limits my food choices, as I'm only going food shopping every two weeks and not eating out at all. I focus on getting plenty of protein and veggies and basics (for me) like eggs and~H&H, and keep the carbs to~stuff I really like to have with my~dinner.I still eat mainly protein for both breakfast and lunch, with dinner having salad/protein/veggies/carbs. Since the Covid-19 crisis, my meals are simpler. Breakfast is typically iced coffee with H&H, then an egg with turkey bacon, or smoked salmon or avocado. Lunch is cottage cheese and nuts. I try to drink water all day, and I do treat myself to a club soda~in the afternoon.Dinner has become an activity to prepare and then a second activity to eat. I make enough for two dinners each evening and have the second meal the next day. Typically I change the carb or add a different~veggie for the leftover meal. Today dinner was a salad with homemade dressing, two small chicken and feta sausages, cucumbers and yogurt, a piece of french bread with feta cheese,~ with water to drink. I do have an alcoholic beverage a couple times a week- either a cocktail~of a glass of wine or very infrequently a beer- and that is my carb for that meal.~
I still walk everyday- usually for an hour or~ 90 minutes. I was going to a gym, but now I try to do some easy weights at home and try (not always successfully!) to do a plank a day. I am very thankful for my health and try to be grateful and not take my health for granted- I credit low carb for my continued health and general sense of well being.
I don't post much anymore- I have found that Maintaining gets pretty boring.But I really wanted to celebrate my 'Planniversary' by posting. Thanks for reading this- and thanks for being part of this site and this WOL.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-20, 06:14

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Long time Eno,

God bless you.
You are an inspiration.

Congratulations on the anniversary.

Your Caddie sister from Scandinavia./