Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Success as a Journey not a Destination

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 14:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm so glad you posted that, and I hope everybody who's struggling with stalls or weight gains reads it. Marlaine, I would NOT have had the fortitude to stick to the plan with that history. I really admire that -- and thanks to your doctor. If your doctor hadn't been a low carb person, her advice to you might have been very different.

Maybe your body just had to settle itself after a lot of attempts to lose weighit? Whatever, it's in shrink mode now and I hope that continues.

If I had it to do again, I think I'd start with Atkins and switch to Protein Power after two weeks. I think there's a lot to be said for "going cold turkey," which induction does.

Anyway, it's a very instructive story. I've enjoyed reading your journal, too, but it's nice to see it in this form as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 14:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Re: Success as a Journey not a Destination

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlaine
I allow myself every little success. I congratulate myself for every sip of water, with every trip to the gym, with every length swum. I'm successful every step of the way. I'm not waiting to get to my goal weight to call myself a success. I'm not putting off my happiness one more minute! This is a journey of success for me.

Small battles won, win the war. Congratulations. Thanks so much for sharing. I expect we'll be seeing you long after January rolls past
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 23:38

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR
I expect we'll be seeing you long after January rolls past

You've got that right. I'm here for the duration.

M
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 23:46

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Thanks for sharing Marlaine

I always love reading success stories. I look forward to reading further insights and thoughts as you add more "chapters" to your success story.

And I agree with you--enjoy the success along the way. I too feel so good every time I exercise (I am not an exercise person), every half pound or pound lost, every time I reflect on how good I feel as opposed to tired and lethargic and every time I think about how far I've come.

Hey, we go, girl! (LOL)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 06:13

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Great message in the importance of patience, Marlaine! Glad you posted it, your story will inspire many, many low-carbers who struggle for that goal.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 16:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/178.2/140
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Awesome!!

Thank you for sharing, being a newbie, I need to hear the opinions of the pros, the cons and especially the successes! I too was at the end of my rope and when my scale hit 190, I thought OMG I weigh 40 pounds more today than I did the day I delivered my son 28 years ago, and I was 30 pounds overweight then!

I am here because I am tired of battling the yo-yo syndrome, tired of being tired and would like to finally be the best I can be.

May you enjoy the rest of your journey!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 13:07

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Default Congratulation on your success!

Marlaine,

Down 22.5 pounds - how awesome! Thanks for sharing your success and thanks for sharing the things that have kept you successful. I'm new to the boards but I've been LCing since the middle of August. I agree...it's so important to acknowledge your success along the way. I'm so happy everytime I exercise, drink the water, stay on program and take measurements!

So, I'll be here for a while (actually, hopefully a long while since I hope to make this a way of life). I look forward to meeting you on the boards!
Way To Go
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 13:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default congrats

You have more faith and patience than I ever would have! If Atkins had not worked right away, I think I would have given up. It takes a special person to have that kind of hope and faith!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 13:36

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cher
Down 22.5 pounds - how awesome!

Thanks for the kind words Cher!! It's taken two whole weeks since I posted that chapter for me to loose more weight, but in the last four days, three more pounds have come off making the total 25.5 pounds now.

Two weeks of no loss flew by this time and I was a lot less frantic than the last time I had to wait because I now KNOW that if I follow the plan the weight will come off!

Marlaine
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 15:41

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Default Wow Marlaine...you are an inspiration

It's actually a few days later (than your last post). Congratulations on the additional weight loss...and right before Christmas. That must really feel good. I look forward to hearing more about your success. I'll keep looking for you on the boards. By the way, I had 2 months with no weight loss...so, I totally understand the initial frustration...that's why I'm so glad that both of us stuck with it
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 20:52

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Marlaine, That was so inspiring, I especially liked that you congratulate yourself on your small victories, We all need to learn to do that. Too often, We don't give ourselves the credit, or praise we deserve, then we also don't accept it from others. Thanks for such an inspirational sharing. Chris
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 21:06
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thank you so much for sharing this! It is such a great motivator and source of inspiration! I am so thankful to know to prepare myself for this possibility and to not get discouraged. Congratulations on all your success and on the success that is bound to come.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-24-01, 09:35

Stats: 274/265/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

This is the kind of Christmas story that touches my heart. I know this way of eating isn't for everyone, but for those of us who feel like it has saved our lives, it is a gift from God. I too have been struggling, but time and patience.....Happy Holidays everyone.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 12:18
OSU Cowboy Fan

Plan: Lapband/low carb
Stats: 248/169/145 Female 5'6"
BF:42/29/25
Progress: 77%

What a beautiful, well written success story. You are so right, every step toward the right way is a success.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderul story I look forward to reading more of your post and reading about your journey.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 07:48
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up Thanks for the post!!

Great post!! My girlfriend is starting low carbing soon and I thought your story was great so I sent it to her.

Very well said and keep up the good work!!
  #16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 08:45

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Marlaine, you are so inspiring, I totally relate my feelings to your touching story.
I wish you all the happiness and success ahead!

You go grrl!!!
Sponsored Links