Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 23:06

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Do Psyllium husks outside of RM cause an insulin response???

Does anyone know? What about bentonite?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 07:56

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I think they might

I only take that stuff at my RM now, because of that same worry. Not the most convenient time to take it, but worth not messing up the chemistry of CAD.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default psyllium husks

No, Sango, psyllium husks do not cause any fluctuatioons in blood sugar or anything else for that matter. Just make sure they are raw husks, not with any added stuff. I use Trader Joe's, and have for years. They are all natural. They contain carbohydrates, but if you look on the back of the container, all the carbs are fiber which means they cannot and will not be absorbed by your body, they really make you feel full, and keep you regular naturally. Also try guar gum, it's a white fiber which is a soluble fiber, when your pour it in water it thickens, I bought mine( raw guar gum, no stuff added) at a health food store, can't remember which one. I switch between psyllium and guar gum. Also, if you are bad and you cheat( I am not on any of these programs, I just try to eliminate sugar and eat veggies and healthy food, but sometimes, like last night we had pizza) just drink a large cup of water with either of these fibers and it will help prevent calories and carbs being absorbed and instead being flushed out. Of course some will be absorbed, but it certainly helps!!! By the way, I used to weigh about what you weigh now. I now weigh 138. ( in about 6 months, ps, I don't work out)Have you considered just trying to eat healthy? Don't be scared, I hate salads and never touch them. I still consider myself a low carber(sort of ) as I have hypoglycemia and cannot eat sugar and starch, but like you I never lost any weight on all these programs.It's easier than you think. For example, there is a low carb bread with only 70 calories a slice, full of fiber and it tastes good, have it( or two, like I do every morning)with a slice of turkey breast and margarine, and you're only at 85 calories for one slice, 170 for two slices, pile on green pepper, or cucumber, or have it with a softboiled egg and tomato. There are so many different foods out there that can help you lose weight. Let me know if you're interested in some more ways of eating and losing weight. I will be happy to give you some suggestions.I know that it's hard to stick to these diets, and even when I did, Atkins for two months, then off one month back for six months several times, cad for 4-5 months several times, schwarzbein gained weight, never lost a single pound on these diets. I know these diets work for some people, but let's face it, after a couple of weeks and you're not losing, you probably never will. It's one thing to stay hopeful and positive, it's another thing to stick your head in the sand. I don't consider myself on a diet, just a different lifestyle, and I have that pizza sonmetimes, or that ice cream sometimes. I know that after reading all these books over and over again it was hard for me to believe that they wouldn't work for me, but they just never did, no matter how well I followed them and never cheated. I give you a challenge. Try changing your mindset for the next week. Just one week! Try to eat around 1200- 1300 calories a day, and I can tell you lots of great food you can eat for that many calories. Don't worry about working out. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. If you want suggestions, let me know. And believe me, this comes from someone who loves bread, cream, pasta and all that crap. I can give you tasty substitutes for all this stuff. Eat about 5-6 times a day.Take your fiber and your vitamins.
And stop stressing out about food so much. At the end of the week if you haven't lost anything, go back to cad. I hope you don't take this suggestion the wrong way, but since I weighed about tne same as you and had the same problems you did, I know this will work for you,too! Whatever you decide to do, good luck from the bottom of my heart, it is so hard having to live with extra weight and feeling powerless over losing it, I was overweight since I was eleven, I'm now 34, and this is honestly the first time since then that I am losing ( not counting a horrible encounter a few years back with Fen-phen) Give it a shot. I think you will smile when you step on that scale and find yourself a couple of pounds lighter after the first week!!!! Good luck in whatever you do, and the same to everybody here.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 05:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I disagree. While that might be true for non CAs, CAs react to CARBS, all carbs including fiber, and psyllium is pure fiber.