Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:42

Plan: BFL
Stats: 110/108/100
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Milk

Is milk allowed on the BFL plan? I know that in Atkins, it's restricted because of the sugar content...but what about for BFL? I'm trying to do BFL modified with LC, so what's the rule? Perhaps skim milk? I know that milk has a lot of carbs in it, but are there any substitutes?

I really really like milk and miss it a lot. The substitutes of soy milk and things like that also contain lots of carbs, right?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/164/120
BF:
Progress:

hi SomaGuRL, I stopped using milk but the only way I had milk was in my coffee so now I use cream, (one tbs for cup) which only has 0.4 carbs and tast SO good!, I think you shouldn't have milk unless it's really a little bit because one cup of milk has 12 grams of carb in it and that's a lot.
I don't think he talks about milk in the BFL book but he does reccomend yogurt so maybe that's the same, protein power also restricts milk they say to use it only in your coffee.
hope that helps...

may
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:31

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Milk....

If it's for drinking I would think twice...if your sticking to Low CARB never go lowfat on any milk type product. You usually don't save on the carb count...Some soy products with out added sugars can be added in small quantities...you'll find most of us doing BFL..are using a multicultured (live) no sugar added yogurt, plain, full fat...in the shakes and that seems to satisfy my milk cravings.

Bsayne
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Milk

Quote:
Originally posted by SomaGuRL
Is milk allowed on the BFL plan? I know that in Atkins, it's restricted because of the sugar content...but what about for BFL? I'm trying to do BFL modified with LC, so what's the rule?

There is no 'rule' if you're doing BFL w/ LC nutrition - it's something you have to tweak for yourself. I have been using milk quite liberally in my shakes - about 1/2 a cup every day with no ill effects.

All milk has approx 12g of carbs per cup, what changes is the fat content. As written BFL would advise skim or low fat milk, because it is a low fat program; done as a LC program I would think 2% would be fine.

A word of warning - if you've been doing strict Atkins for a while increase your carbs slowly and wisely - more veggies and lower glycemic fruits. Always combine your carbs with protein.

Nat