Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 115/115/105
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Results

I know some of you have done this program before, and i was just wondering if you got the results you were looking for?

I know that the pictures in the book are not typical. I'm not expecting to look like a muscle model or anything... but did you see the changes you were hoping to see at the end of the 12 weeks?

Also, what did you do when the program was over? It's interesting that he says that it's a 'way of life' yet it only lasts 12 weeks. At the end, do you just remeasure and start over? or should you branch out and try your own fitness strategies?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:33

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Alex -

I'm not at 12 weeks -- just about 1/2 way point now. I can tellyou that I am seeing results! The kind of results you see will depend greatly on how you put on muscle genetically too.

As for after 12 weeks? Well, they (being the people at the leanandstrong.com site) recommend taking some time off. Personally, I am thinking of a few ways to refocus my goals.
1. This challenge has been great for getting me through the winter...in the summer months I may only weight train 1-2 times a week and resume a fuller running schedule.
2. I may change how I approach the next 12-week challenge and only workout each bodypart once a week. i.e. for each day I will choose two parts and find 2-3 exercises for each.

I think that the whole point of BFL is that you set a goal, achieve it, then set a new one. You're just starting out. Give it 6-8 weeks and then start figuring out where you're going to go from there. I've heard that women will usually start seeing results 4-6 weeks into the program.

Hope this helps!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 15:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Having complete a 12 week challenge I was definitely satisfied with my results:

13 inches lost
19 lbs of fat lost
2 lbs of muscle gained

Challenge 2 is well underway and I'm looking forward to seeing what this brings me. I suspect that I will begin to see more definite changes in muscle definition as I whittle away at my bf% and that I will see improvements in strength (which I have seen in just 2 weeks)

As for the results - if you stick with the program for the 12 weeks they are not atypical. I suggest you take a look at www.leanANDstrong.com 's transformation gallery - they are all just normal people like you and I with no affiliation to BFL who are making this program work for them.

What comes next? Well as Phillips says in the book - If you've been walking wrong all your life and suffering back pain because of it and someone comes along and teaches you to walk properly thereby eliminating the pain, will you go back to walking wrong once they're gone? BFL is about learning to make promises to yourself and following through on them. Making the committment to your health and mental well being is not a 12 week program - it's a life long one. I know that I'll be lifting weights and enjoying the confidence that comes with it long after I have finished with BFL.

Many of the people I've talked with following this program have branched out to another similar one after a few 12 week challenges. This new program is called Body Rx and I've just picked up the book by Dr. Scott Connelly. So far it's been an enlightening read. You can check out the web site with the link I provided above.

I hope this answers your questions, Alex.
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 19:02

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default BFL results...

Everyone is different, of course...the pictures in the book are real...although some are after more than one challenge period.

I think it is really important to erase the idea that there is a limit to what you can accomplish...reach for the stars...don't set yourself back before you see what you truely can accomplish.

According to the strategies that Bill set forth, If you are truely reaching your 10's and evaluating each and every workout...during and post...I don't see how you can't see results...He does mention though that doing the program only 50%of the way will not result in 50% of the results.

My four week results were a gain of 8.5 lbs of muscle
a loss of 13.5 pounds of fat
a 21" loss overall
reduced BF% by 8%
The scale showed 5 lbs!

Let me just say that I am thrilled with the results to date and it was by far the best 5 pounds I have ever lost! I look foward to finishing this challenge...taking a break and starting a new one!

Good luck!

Bsayne