Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 23:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Weight Training / CKD

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is the difference between weight training while LC-ing, and CKD?
Specifically, if one is weight training while LC-ing, should one 'carb up' on the weekend?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 06:42

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey there!
No, not everyone who is low carbing should be carbing up on the weekends. A lot of members here lift weights but are involved in different LC plans, most of which do not include the weekend carb up.

The CKD, however, does. Check out the CKD forum where there is lots of good info on the basics.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 06:49

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

In the CKD forum, check out the thread entitled: CKD101

Hopefully, you will get the info you are looking for!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by fern2340
No, not everyone who is low carbing should be carbing up on the weekends. A lot of members here lift weights but are involved in different LC plans, most of which do not include the weekend carb up.

The CKD, however, does.O

Thank you for replying! My fault for asking too many questions at the same time. If I have read the CKD101 thread correctly, the carb-up is to replenish the muscles for the coming weeks workout. If that is needful, why is is not needful in general?

Thank you for your time and your help,
Kipling
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:08

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default my opinion

In my opinion, it is beneficial for all cases of those exercising with intensity. But, if someone likes their LC plan, who am I to change their mind?

The benefits of the carb-load (glycogen supercompensation) offers many benefits over standard LC plans, again this only goes for those exercising with intensity as well as athletes who wish to maintain their workout intensity while trying to drop some fat (I suggest only using this in the off-season, or early pre-season ... NOT during any competitive season).

To each his/her own.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:10

Plan: modified CKD
Stats: 202/182/160
BF:
Progress:

Trainerdan,

Is it possible to gain muscle while on CKD or this is just mainly for muscle retention?

Also, I read the CKD101 article and still confused with the training part. I usually workout Sat. and Sun. This is due to my very busy schedule of full time work and full time school. How should I shedule my lifting and full body workouts?

Also, with mainly fats and protein as source of food, would I need to incorporate some kind of fiber supplement in my diet?

Thanks!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 15:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BodyOpus
Stats: 222/184/184
BF:

It is possible to gain muscle on the CKD but not as much as if you were eating "normally". I did it for 3 months and gained around 4 kg muscle (and lost lots of fat!).

One key requirements for building muscle is the presence of insulin (or rather the balance between insulin/glycagon). If the balance is in favour of insulin, the body is in an anabolic state. If it is in balance of glucagon, it is in a catabolic state. When in an anabolic state, the body builds muscle (and stores fat). In a catabolic state the body burns fat.

On a normal low-carb diet you predominantly have more glucagon. Intense weight training will do little more than breaking down muscle with little ability to rebuild. This is where the CKD comes in. It simply switches between the catabolic and anabolic states. When you train (and revcover from training) your body MUST be in an anabolic state.

So to answer your question directly, it doesn't matter if you do your heavy workout while you carb-up, or have just completed your carb-up (strictly speaking it is best afterwards, but not essential). The full body workout should be undertaken just before your carb-up commences.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 17:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/188/165
BF:
Progress: 21%
Cool confused newbie

I have always gone back to atkins when I decide to dedicate myself to improving my fitness, or mainly to control my weight. The reason I often stray is because I workout pretty intensely and am always wondering if I should be doing something differently. I stumbled upon this site a few nights ago and am very intrigued by ckd.
I would love to be able to do the routine that Dan and Fern do but do not have the money to purchase all of the fat burners and bars, nor do I have the time to do an a.m. workout. My question is...can I basically do atkins M-F, carb load F night and S and go back to atkins on Sunday. And continue my intense evening workouts(45mins cardio & 75mins weight training) M-F like I do now. I want to get lean and build muscle, mainly to feel good, look good, and stay fit for my activities..(golf,volleyball, basketball, watersports, etc..."
Please help, I love the thought of carb loading but am having a hard time believing that it will work as well as sticking to Atkins and working out.
Thank you ahead of time
Charlie
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 16:43

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default you got it

Quote:
can I basically do atkins M-F, carb load F night and S and go back to atkins on Sunday.

That's a CKD.

Fern and I use a liberal amount of supplements, but you don't HAVE to. I am just a big believer in supplementation.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/188/165
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Thank You

Thanks Trainerdan

Also, It sounds as though you may do ckd for a couple months at a time. What do you do in between as far as diet is concerned.

One more thing....can you give me an example of what you will eat during a typical carb-up period.
Thanks