Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 23:05

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Question re weights

I am in a real dilemma.

I have some hexagonal weights but I need more weight in order to do the pyramid increase for each BFL set.

Been shopping around but want to maximize my purchase so that I have room to "grow" (as I am able to lift more weight) so to speak. Money is also an issue. I know I have to spend some but I need to keep it minimal. Space is at a premium and I can't afford a huge set or even a weight tree to store everything so I have to think in terms of storage. Also, I am thinking that if I keep buying hexagonal weights, I am more limited in being able to increase weights (i.e. tons of weights lying around and nowhere to put them. Also, outgrowing weights like the 3 lb dumbbells I have already outgrown).

I would appreciate any input as to what you have found works for you as you have gotten stronger.

The gym is out of the question because I can't afford it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 09:19

Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Weights and alternatives

Hi, Homegirl -

I think you have a couple of alternatives for your dilemma. You're right, the individual weights you have aren't going to last very long and they are going to clutter up your life. Bsayne bought some PowerBlocks and (I think) she loves them. I would shoot her a PM and get the low down straight from her. You can also just do a search for them on Google and go read all about them. They cost somewhere between $100-200, I think, but you won't have to buy any more weights and the dumbbells only take up about a shoebox's worth of space each.

My solution, on the other hand, as one who could not afford the PowerBlock route or the gym, is a little sneakier. I work out at a friend's apartment complex gym - even though she moved out in September. It's never crowded when I go (maybe 4 people, max) so I don't feel bad about using their resources. Plus, I've been going there since August, so everyone thinks I belong there now anyway. It's always a possibility...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 20:09

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I suggest plates

Hi,
Nice to see u interested in weights, I am also. .
I have a couple of stations at my house, bench and pulley system.
U say u have outgrown the 3 pd dumbells. I suggest u just buy a set of plates 3, 5, 10 pds and dumbell bars to alternate ur weights and increase them as needed. Handheld as u know is harder than bench or pulleys as it demands for u to control the motions. U can use the plates even without the bar if needed. Great for the small muscle groups.

I know these last for a long time esp with increased reps and varying sets.

Another alternative is a theraband. Those large rubber bands that come in various strengths. I have the toughest one at home and believe me ....it gives u a workout.

Hope this helps to "pump you UP'

bubu
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 23:37

Default Re I suggest plates

That's exactly what I did bubu.

Went out today and bought a stop watch and a 40 lb dumbbell set at Wal Mart with an additional four 5lb plates so that now I have the 3's, 5's, 15's hexagonal weights and can also now have 15's, 20's & 25's with the set I bought. I think that should last me a little while as I work on building up my strength.

Believe me I went everywhere including the pawn shops and second hand stores to get the most for my money. I wanted to get the 100 lb barbell set at Wal Mart for $59.98 but I would have had to also buy the dumbbell bars seperately so decided against as that meant more money.

Everything cost more money than I have. Ever noticed that?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 16:26

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Reminds me of a funny story.

Back in about 1965, my mother decided that she needed a weight training regime (mostly to try and build up her pecs as she was small busted and "increasing bust lines" by resistance training was all the rave back then )

Weight training for women was not a common thing, and buying weights was financially out of the question.

So she had my father mix up some cement, and she filled 2 empty tomato cans with cement, and shoved an 18 inch long, round steel bar into each of them. When they dried solid, she had my father mix up some more cement and then pour that into 2 more empty tomato cans, into which - you guessed it - she shoved the other end of the steel bars in.

I never remember her actually using them. They were probably too heavy to lift.

Or she got distracted by paper dresses, which were the NEXT craze to come along in the sixties.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 19:25

Too funny LC!

BTW, did you ever get the mascara on your other eye? Perhaps after the coffee?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 06:27

Plan: atkins/No Dairy
Stats: 194/148/134
BF:
Progress: 77%

LC that is so funny