Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 15:13

Plan: BO
Stats: 198/198/215
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default :Party: New couple to this site, your opinion please

Hello..
I am very well versed with both Lyle McDonald and Dan Duchaines writings, both are in my personal library. We have never tried either of them, we have always remained in our bf range (he 8% and she 14%). Since turning 40, both of us, our bf has crept up on us. She is having a difficult time with dieting, loves her carbs. Myself, it is just a matter of discipline for my bf.

Anyways, with everyone here on the board, which diet have you all found to be successful. I truly need one for her, one that is more "palateable" to ease her in to. We are currently at 16% for myself and 22% for her.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 03:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi medictool!

The moderators of this forum are on vacation now and they would be able to give you some excellent advice.

Most people follow Atkins, but there are Protein Power and CALP advocates as well with other plans sprinkled in.

Have a look at "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" to the right of the page.

I suggest Protein Power because that's what I started with, but eventually a plan becomes your own.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 02:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BodyOpus
Stats: 222/184/184
BF:
Progress: 100%

My wife found Body Opus (BO) a bit extreme too! So we modified it for her in that we replaced all glucose with other high glycemic carbs like corn flakes (which is part of BO anyway). Also, by not getting up every 2 hours at night, we modified the carb-up period for her to extend to 72 hours instead of 48. And lastly, she did her carb-up every second weekend only.

The result?
* No muscle loss (actually, a very small increase)
* About 0.5% body fat loss per week (went from 22% to 16% in 12 weeks)

Should you use it?
In my opinion, only if you exercise (cardio AND weight training). Otherwise, follow Karen's recommendation!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 16:54

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default choice of diet

First I want to say WELCOME to the CKD/EXERCISE FORUM!

As for choosing a plan, it is a very individual thing. I wandered through a few before landing on the BodyOpus/CKD plans.

I was on Zone, Nutrition Know How, Carb Addicts and Atkins.

I do a modified version of CKD, mostly based on Lyle's writings, but elements of Duchaine still creep through ...

A CKD provides a good amount of fat loss, as well as the ability to train at high intensities.

I find it easier than other plans since you can satisfy carb cravings within a week, whereas with other plans they are "off limits".