Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Another Protein Shake question

I've been using Myoplex, but when it's gone I would like to substitute another protein shake (such as Carb Solutions). The thing I liked about Myoplex is that I can mix it in a shaker at work and use it for either my morning or mid-afternoon meal -- it mixed very easily. The other shakes I've tried must be made in a blender or they are lumpy.

Can I blend shakes in the morning and refrigerate them at work for later in the day? Will mixing them up several hours before drinking them affect the nutrition? Would it separate after a few hours? What about the flavor? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 16:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Carb Solutions makes a shake that comes in a small glass bottle. Pre-mixed, just refrigerate. They sell them at WalMart.
I remember reading in Muscle Media (The EAS/Body for Life magazine) not to mix up shakes more than an hour before you were going to use them.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 05:23

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default shouldn't be a problem

Quote:
Can I blend shakes in the morning and refrigerate them at work for later in the day?

I have been doing this for years. It should not effect nutrition, or seperate.

Quote:
I remember reading in Muscle Media (The EAS/Body for Life magazine) not to mix up shakes more than an hour before you were going to use them.

I would like to hear why they don't advise it ... The only thing I can think of is if you pre-mix creatine. Creatine is unstable in water, and you should drink it within 1/2 hour of making it.

There is a whole product line by the major supplement companies that offer pre-mixed shakes in cans/cartons. EAS has them, Met-
Rx has them, and a slew of other companies that only make pre-mixed shakes are out there too (American Bodybulding, Worldwide Nutrition, etc).

If pre-made shakes aren't OK, how do these companies make the cut?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 05:29

BF:

I don't know, only reporting what I read in Muscle Media which is basically just EAS's way of advertising. Perhaps the pre-mixed shakes have some sort of stabilizers or something. I will try to find the article, it was at least 2 years ago, so it might take some time.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 05:35

BF:

Update - this is from EAS's website regarding Myoplex:

Q: After I have mixed my Myoplex nutrition shake, for how long will it retain its' potency?
A: As long as your nutrition shake is not heated, the Myoplex nutrition shake should retain its' potency for up to 8 hours.

I don't know why they are now allowing 8 hours - honestly, this was not always the case.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 01:35

Plan: none
Stats: 89/89/90
BF:
Progress:
Default Mixable shakes

Any protein shake that is 'instantised' can be mixed with water in a Plastic shaker you can almost use a spoon.
I've been using good old Whey protein concentrate for years and it mixs fine with no lumps at all.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks so much for the help. The Carb Solutions shake mix is not instantized, so it must be blended or it has lumps. I did look at the pre-mixed CS shakes at Wal-Mart, but they are very expensive (about $1.25 each -- that would be $2.50 per day!). The Myoplex does blend just fine with a shaker, but it is also very expensive, so I would like to switch to all CS shakes when my supply of Myoplex is gone. Since they will keep okay pre-blended in the refrigerator, I will blend the CS shakes at home and refrigerate them at work.