Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 07:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default One Meal A Day - OMAD

OMAD. Everything you wanted to know, but we’re afraid to ask!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/omad

Diet Doctor's complete guide to fasting with one meal a day (but not every day ) including studies, warnings, success stories and even a meal plan. As Dr Fung's group warns, if you do OMAD every day it is just a form of calorie restriction. Alternate fasting patterns for weight loss, though OMAD can work for maintenance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 09:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good article. I'm kind of doing this OMAD and multiple meals a day alternating for my current plan - just working out that way. Fits my work and funhogging schedule. Thanks Janet for pointing it out.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 12:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Eating disorders

Any eating pattern that promotes a cycle of food restriction followed by extra food consumption can trigger disordered eating behavior in susceptible people. So if you have a history of eating disorders, you should probably avoid OMAD.

This is what always jumps out at me when I read and consider people's previous eating patterns, how and what they've been eating and not eating.

I think first is to consider nutrients and how to supply that to feed the body's needs and sustain that on a regular basis and establish a healthy pattern of eating. Then and only then will they heal and break the old patterns of feast and famine which is what drives the high carb bulking that is going on with crackers, bread, oatmeal, rice, noodles chips, cookies etc (all fast and usually ready to eat in boxes and bags) and replacing them with meat and veggies is the most important.

Then somewhere down the line after establishing a healthy body (I don't mean just skinny but healthy) and being in full control of eating enough of the required nutrients, then maybe cut meals back to OMAD.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Jan-22-20 at 16:55.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 16:09

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I am experimenting with this. I do a 19/5 and then 2 days a week do OMAD. It was crazy how I went 23 plus hours and was not hungry. I did eat a nice HFLC lunch the day before. I will weigh in tomorrow morning to see how things went.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 03:28

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, I do daily around 22/2 and I assure you that nothing like calorie restriction takes place, what with large portion of fatty meats/fish plus cream, cheese, eggs, avocado, olive oil, nuts ...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 02:00

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks for the link!

Here's an IDM post on OMAD:

8-27-2018 IDM email:

OMAD.

These 4 little letters are often the subject of hot debate in fasting communities, and Pete offered our group quite possibly the best explanation of OMAD we’ve ever heard, including when it’s best used, what it really is, and where it falls in the fasting lineup.

We’ll let Pete explain:

Let’s talk OMAD (a.k.a. One Meal a Day).

A day does not go by at IDM where we’re not asked about OMAD. It’s a very popular subject and for many people who work 9-5 M-F, it meshes nicely into their lifestyles as they can eat their one meal with their families after work.

But many are also shocked to learn it is not a form of fasting as we define it. It’s actually a form of eating; eating one meal a day.

The problem with OMAD is in its repetition. Eating one meal a day is a pattern easily recognized by the body and by doing the same behavior every day, the body does what it does naturally; it adapts. And it’s this adaptation that causes the rub; the body simply slows its Base Metabolic Rate (BMR).

At first when you start OMAD, the BMR stays very high. But after a while BMR inevitably slows down because it does take the body some time to adapt, but it does. First with energy levels, then with other metabolic operations and at some point, as we see quite consistently, BMR just slows down, and the inevitable plateau follows.

If you are trying to lose weight, this is not a good situation. In fact, what we need is just the opposite; a way to speed up BMR. SO how can we do this? There are a few ways…

Alternate Day Fasting, mixing up fasting patterns during the week, and finally longer fasts. OMAD, coupled with a day or two of skipping meals altogether will do it too.

Confounding this argument, there are some instances where OMAD will work. First, there is the person who only has 20-30 pounds to lose. In this case, OMAD works well. Next, there is the class of people who have NO history of yo-yo dieting. The third group are those who are at goal weight, and OMAD is just a good way to do weight maintenance.

Fast on, my friends! Don’t get caught in the OMAD trap! Mix it up; try alternate day fasts; don’t be afraid to join a group fast. We run at least one every week in our free Facebook group the Obesity Code Network (OCN) and members can ask questions freely and get almost real-time answers!

Happy fasting!

~Team IDM
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 06:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

^^^ Exactly, Dr. Fung's group has supported some kind of "mixing it up" since the beginning. Fasts should be followed by Feasts. OMAD is just calorie restriction (with the exceptions in this great email post) unless there are a few days of 2 or 3 meals also.
The other popular pattern they have encouraged for Weight Loss, especially in older women with a history of obesity, is the 36 or 42 hour fast three days a week. For working folk, M-W-F water only fast. T-TH-Sat first meal is breakfast or lunch, go by your hunger level. Saturday night and Sunday feast. None of these popular protocols are extended fasting.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 12:34

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Grant Schofield and Caryn Zinn also promote a similar concept of mixing up OMAD with regular LCHF across the week, in their book What the Fast.

To date my appetite has prevented me from getting that far (I still prefer to eat when I'm hungry), but it's nice to know that others have the same idea for people who can manage it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 00:38

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yup - refeeding is important.

Caloric restriction vs. periodic fasting and the importance of re-feeding after a fast [ Dr. Rhonda Patrick FMF Clips ]