Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 14:12

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default I think my sister is confused about South Beach

I'm Atkins so I can only go on what I know. My sister though thinks that carbs don't matter when it comes to South Beach. She has the basics down...well sort of, cause we only got some stuff off on different websites, so she has the no-sugar, no fruit stuff for the first 2 wks. But, she's buying sugar-free cookies etc. and says that it's okay for her to eat it as long as it's sugar-free. I told her it's still a low-carb diet. But, the problem is we haven't found any website that tells you how many carbs in South Beach your supposed to have.

Can someone help me with this???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 150/145/130 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 25%

your sister needs to buy the book and read it because as far as I know, cookies aren't part of the south beach diet - even if they're sugar-free. I'm one to talk though. I know I'm not supposed to have caffeine and I probably have at least 4 or 5 caffeinated beverages each day.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSartre
your sister needs to buy the book and read it

I absolutely agree.

If she doesn't read the book, she can't possibly know what to eat and not eat.

It's like trying to fly an airplane with no lessons.

There are a half-dozen people that I know, who have seen my success and are saying, "I'm cutting back on carbs, but it's not working very well."

I tell them.....READ THE BOOK!!! If you don't, it ain't gonna work!

Bill.......300/268/225........day 83 SBD.....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 168/140/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree..The book has helped me immensely with understanding about the good and bad carbs and what I should be eating and what I shouldn't be touching with 10 foot pole..

If she can't get the book, at least go to the website or check out Prevention.com for some SB ideas..
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:34

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

Thanks. I told her what you said. She said she HAD to snack on something and that she still lost 7 lbs. But, she doesn't want to buy the book only to get it from the library but they don't have it right now. I have alot of different sites I've marked for her but she decided I guess that this is what she wanted to have along with eating the South Beach way.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

I have a friend at work that has lost over 50 lbs so far and all he did was stop eating "white food" ie bread,potatoes.rice, and sugar.
He also eats 2 pieces of fruit a day a apple and a grapefruit.

He hasn't read any books on dieting he just figured that was the way to go.

But hay, it works for him!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Southkins
Stats: 280/252/190 Female 5'9"
BF:Let's/notgo/there
Progress: 31%

I got my book from Overstock.com for $11.22....think it ended up around $14 with shipping and it is hard cover. Personally, I think it is better to have the book around so that you can refer to it should you need to. Plus the price is a little better than the local booksellers around the Baltimore area are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom
Thanks. I told her what you said. She said she HAD to snack on something and that she still lost 7 lbs. But, she doesn't want to buy the book only to get it from the library but they don't have it right now. I have alot of different sites I've marked for her but she decided I guess that this is what she wanted to have along with eating the South Beach way.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 09:39
Registered Member

Stats: 270/266/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 3%

Mine was $15 at Sams club. There's a prevention guide you can buy in the grocery store for $4 that has the essence of it.

SF foods are allowed but only 75 calories-worth a day.

Here's a list of allowed foods:
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 150/145/130 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 25%

I just got my book the other day - FINALLY - and have gained a pretty big understanding of what this diet is about. First of all, this isn't Atkins in that it's not ketogenic. I'm allowed to enjoy certain carbs all I want - but things like cookies and bread and sugar are off limits. The good thing about it is, your cravings DO stop - IF you're doing it right! The basis for this diet is the Glycemic Index and choosing foods that are low on the Glycemic Index.

There is a great website with a pretty substantial database regarding this:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

You can search the database for foods that are low on the glycemic index. Keep in mind that just because something is low on the glycemic index does not mean that it is automatically allowed in Phase 1 of the diet. The first job is controlling those cravings and essentially reprogramming your body - but don't go hungry...it essentially undermines diets in all cases...that is why there are no portion sizes. Eat so that you are not hungry.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 07:31

Stats: 202/188/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 44%

The official diet has no carb limit per se but does have a 75 calorie limit for sweet type foods. This is similar to the Atkins induction where the point is to change thinking patterns from snacking and over indulging on sweets.
But hey, if it is working for her....

Tommy