Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 05:01

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%
Default Deep Fried Whole Chicken (easy!)

I found this link looking for a deep fried chicken. I figure if you can deep fry a turkey, why not a chicken?

Here's the link and recipe:

http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Coo...-Deep-Fried.htm

Cooking Louisiana - Deep Fried Chicken

This Fried Chicken dish is one you and your friends will go nuts over. I'm sure you've heard of or done Deep Fried Turkey. Deep Fried Chicken is about the same and is so easy and makes for a fun get together with friends!
Materials/Ingredients:

A deep fryer made or designed to fry turkey's
Whole Chicken - 1 chicken per 3 adults depending...
Tony's or Old Bay Seasoning
Peanut oil
Frying thermometer

To make the most of your cooking oil plan on getting a few friends together and cook several birds.

Wash the chicken well, slit the skin between the thigh and breast and season well inside and out.

Rub seasoning under the skin and get some in the thigh joint

Preheat oil to 350ºF [Follow the fryer instructions - this oil will cook you if it hits you]
Cook about 4-5 minutes per pound. Keep the oil at 325-350ºF, no more no less.
When you think it's almost done take the chicken out and test the tightness of the thigh joint with a pair of tongs.

Let the chicken cool a few minutes and cut up as you would normally. Put in a casserole with a few tablespoons of water and cover.

The link has some pictures as well....check it out!

Now I did however forget to check and see how many pounds the chicken was but I started it at 8:05 and it was done at 8:45 so, I think that it might take more than 5 min per pound. I just kept checking it with a knife to make sure it was done all the way through. Here's some pictures I took last night:

This is before I put it into the fryer:

And this is after I took it out of the fryer:

It was awsome and very moist! You have to try this!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 227/174/166 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 87%

I can imagine this is awesome as I like chicken better than turkey. We deep fry our turkey every thanksgiving. We have one of the electric ones. I'm not brave enough for a propane fryer. But there is NOTHING like fresh deep fried turkey! YUM!!!

I want a deep fried chicken. Wonder if I can talk my hubby into it. Was going to say we don't have any whole chicken but actually I have 9 of them outside in a pen.