Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:53

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Having trouble drinking water?

For those of you having trouble drinking water, like me, I found a new way to enjoy water and have a good taste as well. Lately i've been drinking tons of pop each day (lots of diet sprite). It doesn't effect my weight loss, but it does effect my water drinking, which in turn, effects my weight loss. So I thought of something else... Crystal Lite. I don't know if you gys have this out in USA, but in Canada you can find "Crystal Light" at any store. The packets are cheap and they offer all different kinds (cherry, lemon lime, iced tea). Basically, it's like Kool Aid, except it's low in calories and made with aspratame. It tastes as good as pop. The thing is though, you add 6 cups of water to the mix to make it...... which made me realize..... 6 cups of water!!! Well, I now drink about 2 things of crystal light a day. Granted, if aspratame has a negative effect on you then this isn't a good idea... but it's much better than drinking diet pop, cause that's made with syrup and shit, where as this is all water
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile My trick

To help me with my water drinking, I start of with very cold water and add a lemon or a lime slice. I sometimes even add a mint leaf!
Depends on what I feel like.
When I'm at a resturant, there is rarely anything for me to drink, (I can't have equal.. massive headaches) and the lemon slice does the trick.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good luck with your water consumption. I didn't think you could count water you added to something like Crystal Light as part of your water tpta; - I know you're not supposed to count coffee as part of your water intake. But, nevertheless you're right that's it's gotta be better than pop. I don't know what it is about pop but I got hooked on it as well (try not to buy it very often now).

Another suggestion - try drinking your water with a straw....amazingly it seems to go down a little easier and faster.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 203/154/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I do crystal light as well. I am not a water fan, but this totally helps me to drink 2 liters before noon easily! I usually water down the crystal light, but it's a great way to get the water in. I also drink a lot of Diet Pepsi and it doesn't slow my weight loss down.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I do Crystal Light sometimes, but it's a little expensive. I also water it down a LOT. I use a full 8 cups (the size of my pitcher) instead of six, and I usually top it off with more water.

I don't believe in the concept that if it's not pure water, it doesn't count. Water is water no matter what's mixed in it. You just have to watch whether or not you react to those artificial sweeteners.

Another favorite water trick of mine is to make iced tea from herbal tea. There are so many flavours, and they have a natural sweetness. You don't need to add much artificial sweetener at all.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 18:31

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

so water in kool-aid and tea and crystal light counts?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 20:39

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I like the suggestion of adding a little lemon or mint. I'll try that.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 05:35

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaec
so water in kool-aid and tea and crystal light counts?

Why not ? You body is perfectly able to split the mix into water and other stuff.
The only reason why water from tea, coffee and cola doesn't count, is because they are dehydrating. You actually need to drink extra after having drinks which contain caffeine.

Obviously Water is better for you, as it doesn't contain so many chemicals/sweeteners.artificial flavours etc, but if you just really don't like it.....Have other drinks instead. Just count the carbs (yes, diet sodas do contain carbs !!)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 13:27
Registered Member

Stats: 292.5/277.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

What works for me is drinking the Poland Spring "24 oz. SPORT PACK" bottles. It's easier to drink it quickly out of a spout than straight down. I drink about 150 oz. a day now. Try it!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 12:06

Stats: 249/232/196 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 32%

Carry around a water bottle helps me to drink water every day and I drink more that way
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 12:34
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I agree Dumbletore. If I carry one with me I tend to drink ALOT more. Otherwise while Im out I'd just simply grab a diet cola.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 02:44
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckycarbo
Crystal Lite. I don't know if you gys have this out in USA, but in Canada you can find "Crystal Light" at any store. The packets are cheap and they offer all different kinds (cherry, lemon lime, iced tea). Basically, it's like Kool Aid, except it's low in calories and made with aspratame. It tastes as good as pop. The thing is though, you add 6 cups of water to the mix to make it...... which made me realize..... 6 cups of water!!! Well, I now drink about 2 things of crystal light a day

I add *double* the amount of water the package recommends and I still get the flavour of the crystal lite and am able to get my water down.

I also use sugarfree koolaid for a change.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 02:47
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default I forgot to add......

Here is a tip with regular koolaid (the one you have to add sugar to yourself).

I put some of the packet in a 1 litre water bottle. Usually a teaspoon or two of the koolaid will do it. I add a couple packets of splenda.....put the lid on...shake really well and you have splenda sweetened koolaid.

Anyway try this and adjust the levels until you get the taste you like best.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 07:29

Stats: 222/195/160 Male 5 ' 7 "
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
Why not ? You body is perfectly able to split the mix into water and other stuff.
The only reason why water from tea, coffee and cola doesn't count, is because they are dehydrating. You actually need to drink extra after having drinks which contain caffeine.

Obviously Water is better for you, as it doesn't contain so many chemicals/sweeteners.artificial flavours etc, but if you just really don't like it.....Have other drinks instead. Just count the carbs (yes, diet sodas do contain carbs !!)

I'm a big ice tea drinker but we do use decaffeinated tea and half caffeine coffee at home. But there seems to be a lot of controversy on this water issue, it does count, it doesn't count. Not trying to be gross, but its mixing up with other stuff in your stomach anyway right? So if I have one glass of tea and one glass of water, haven't I just had two glasses of weak tea? I just don't know.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: No specific plan
Stats: 378.6/355.6/150 Female 70 inches
BF:BMI: ?? / 52 / 25
Progress: 10%
Default To help the H2O go down...

Don't know about other states or Canada, but here in Florida we have two
zero calorie, zero fat, zero carb waters:

Fruit2O (and Fruit2O Plus which has herbal supplements added)
* has some kind of sugar alternative like splenda

and

Infused Water by Arizona
* water, citric acid, natural fruit flavors (but *not* juice), sorbitol, sucralose

Both are *lightly* flavored (berry, lemon, orange, etc...) and that little kick
of flavor helps the water go down sooooooooo much easier. I used it almost
exclusively when I first started LCing. Now that I'm used to *it*, I find that
I can stomach plain water better now too.

Cheers!

Cynthia