Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 12:51

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Talking Starting to shake my stall ... and here I come with another question???

I usually eat 2 eggs for b-fast and through fitday, find that it's on the average 158 calories .. therefore I have to pack in 1500 calories for the rest of the meals ... ... making lunch and dinner the biggest of my meals ....

Now ... I just had lunch .. (and I'm stuffed mind you) and INCLUDING the string cheese (that I haven't even eaten yet, but entered into fitday) I'm only at 791 or so calories (including b-fast) .. that means my dinner has to be 800 calories??? to make my wgt X10???

Any suggestions as to how I can work on spreading out the calories ??? 2 eggs is a big step as I NEVER used to eat b-fast AT ALLL ... ??? can anyone suggest snacks that I can munch on throughout the day; that will add to the calories (Geeze so I can eat a normal meal uke: ) but not add to the carbs???

Any help I can get, would be extremely appreciated (as usual) ...

Thank you in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sally, you'd actually do better to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals throughout the day. Women who eat this way have an easier time losing fat and are less likely to gain weight. It helps to keep metabolism raised as well as insulin stablizied.

You don't eat more, you just eat more often so the meals are smaller and more easy to manage.

Whenever you want to add calories sans carbs look to fat as your friend. It's calorie dense and it's metabolically netural (it will not effect insulin or glucagon)

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:07

BF:
Talking Okay Next question....

Any suggestions as to what can be eaten in these small meals .. as I work in a situation .. that I CAN eat at my desk .. but I don't want to be running to the microwave to cook something up throughout the day ... these sound like alot more like "snacking" .. and I DO come from the old school of 3 meals a day .. I AM willing to try eating smaller meals more often .. but can you suggest things that can be munched on while I work ??? Not a full menu .. just ideas to get me started ???

A new habit just has to get started !!!

(By the way .. thanks so much for the quick response .. )

Thanks again!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:19

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Sally, how do you cook your eggs? I have two eggs as well for breakfast. But I scramble them in at least a tablespoon of butter. I also have a slice of low-carb toast (10g per slice, two of which are fibre) slathered with butter. And sometimes I add a tomato. This starts me off on a real good energy footing for my 2-mile walk to the trainstation to go to work.

As Natrushka said, it's easy to bump up your caloric intake with fat and it's soooo tasty!

;-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:22

BF:

Some suggestions:
  • HB eggs w/ full fat dressing/mayo
  • pre made chicken/tuna salad
  • celery w/ cream cheese
  • 2 oz macadamia nuts
  • pepperoni w/ cream cheese
  • roast beef roll ups (put whatever you want inside)
  • chicken wings
  • cottage cheese w/ raspberries
  • egg mockmuffins (good cold or heated)
  • flax muffins (various recipes in kitchen forum)
  • pork rinds w/ blue cheese dip

Have a look through the journals of those of us working out - Lisaf, Marlaine, Ruth, KarenB come to mind - we've been eating like this for a while now. I really does become second nature.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:37

BF:
Talking Thank you you guys!!!!

DebPenny ... I usually cook up my eggs with Bacon grease, because butter doesn't like my stomach (too rich I think) ... but lately I've stopped and just let the teflon do it's thing .. (to try and break my stall ... (my last last question of the day )) but slicing tomato on top sounds really good but the toast thing .. LC or not .. I try to stay away...

Nat ...thank you for the suggestions .. I'll give those a try .. those appear to be nice "munchie" eats ... that's the kind of ideas that I was looking for ... just something to get me started!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you .. nobody has ever steered me wrong in here .. and I am willing to try anything .. Thank you for the "cal boost" suggestions .. hopefully if I eat alittle less more times a day, I'll alleviate this feeling of ohhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank you again!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 05:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sally,

I usually have 3 eggs fried sunny side up (dippy) and I use pork rinds to dip. This way I have added more fat and calories, but no carbs. Then around 10:am, I try to drink a whey protein shake. sometimes I add a T of gelatin to this shake for extra protein.

Finger Jello would be a great snack for you. The more plain gelatin you add to it, the firmer it gets. If you use 5 pks of Knox, and only about a cup of hot water, you can actually make it like gummy candies. This isn't too many calories, but it is pure protein and that is a good thing. If you don't like the aspartame, use your own imagination for the jello. Maybe using Kool Ade and Splenda. Sometimes I make it with some cream, Splenda, and Hershey's cocoa! Sort of like chocolate candies. This would also add calories.

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:38

BF:
Talking Good morning Carol ....

Ooooo all those Ideas sound yummy .. and I LOVE jello (I'm also weird .. I was majorly ADDICTED to gummy bears.. and your idea of mega gelatin, w/ 1 cup water sounds like they are relatively the same .. Hmmmmmm???) ... I'm gonna hafta look into your ideas....

Thank you again .. good ideas .. never though of using the pork rinds to dip in my eggs ... yummmmm ...

Thank you again!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Cool Things I never knew!!

I had no idea that gelatin was pure protein - I'm so excited that I've found another way to add some extra protein into my diet.

Thanks for everything - you guys are a WEALTH of information

-Jinkster
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:58

BF:
Default Re: Things I never knew!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinkster
I had no idea that gelatin was pure protein - I'm so excited that I've found another way to add some extra protein into my diet.

Just a note of caution, while gelatin is a protien it is an incomplete protein and considered a 'low quality protein' (it is actually one of the only proteins that does not contain all of the indispensable amino acids). Using it as a primary source of protein is not recommended, however, as an energy source, in the form of the odd snack or treat there's nothing wrong with it.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:39

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Smaller meals

Thanks for the suggestions on this topic, Nat. I've heard about this from many sources (5-6 smaller meals vs. 3 meals) and I'm anxious to try it out. I was afraid that it would be too time consuming to eat smaller meals but from your suggestions it looks pretty easy.

Tam
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 14:49

BF:
Talking Boy .. this is a good thread ...

I started today .. and had my eggs for b-fast .. and mixed it with taco blend shredded cheese, and didn't have any appetite this morning because some stuff was going on around here that was totally killing my appetite ..
Then for lunch I had the guts of a taco salad (was a very very small one) and when I got back from running around, had some celery sticks with cream cheese .. and I haven't been stuffed, even though I've almost been munching all day .. THIS REALLY WORKS ..and relatively easy to keep going .. I kinda like this eating all day thing!!!!

and so far 1-I don't have the stuffed feeling... and 2- I'm at 897 calories and 8 carbs for the day ... so I've got room for expansion for dinner ..

I know I probably won't make my 1650 calories still, but at least I'm heading for the right direction .. I'M NOT STUFFED!!!!

Thank you again Nat .. (and everyone) you guys definately know your game!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 21:53

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default more snack ideas

Have you tried Pumpkorn? It's a brand of seasoned pumpkin seeds that are really yummy. Another thing I found is bran crispbread that is all fiber. Good for spreading plenty of Brie cheese! I don't know what your carb allotment is per day, but walnuts, pistachios and pecans are all low carb/ high calorie.

Jen
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 07:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

A note about those gummy sweets you wanted to try...

I read this in another thread somewhere and have actually made a few batches, they are quite good if you are a munchies person who likes to pick in the fridge...

2 packets of your favorite sugar free jelly/ jello
4 packs of Gelatine
1 cup of water

Put all the ingreients in a pan and heat gently until all has dissolved, put into mini-molds or jelly bean molds if you can find them and regrigerate. Takes about 20-30 mins to set and you get instant sweeties ..... yum. I like to suck them for a while because they melt in the mouth....

I recommend making a big batch of all different flavours, it makes you feel that you have bought them from the packet.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default calories

Hi there, I just thought I'd post where a lot of my calories come from. Oil! I actually have trouble keeping my calories low enough,because I love fat so much.

For lunch, salad with bacon (precooked on the weekend) and sliced turkey, with 2 tbs of flax (or olive) oil, and 2 tbs of full fat dressing. That is a lot of calories for a "light" seeming meal.

Another source is heavy cream. I make mousse using cocoa and sweetner, or pudding using a low carb protein powder. In the heat iced coffee with heavy cream is perfect! Back to oil.. I often eat chinese. Beef Broccoli cooked with oil only, and the starchy sauce omitted. It is delicious with only soy sauce added.

Meg