Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Organic Whole Food
Stats: 182/163/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Unhappy Giving Up

Just when I thought I had lost weight, the scale goes back up again.

AGAIN.

I am giving up. Apparently I just can't lose any more weight on the Atkins diet. I've been SO good, staying on induction for the past 8 days.

I lost 3 pounds. Then I get on the scale yesterday and today: scale is back up again. 3 pounds plus 1 are back.

Why isn't this working for me? I have been so good. Eating 3 small meals plus 2 snacks per day. I am so upset right now.

My body may seem to be getting more muscular and thin, but I still fit in my larger sized pants. Although I fit in the smaller size now, I shouldn't fit in the large ones anymore at all!

I have a normal thyroid and bloodwork- just got it done 3 weeks ago.

I am sorry if this is a really negative post, but I'm so upset right now. Nothing seems to work- I can't get below 132. Why??? What should I do??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 184/184/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Stop!

You are smaller-you said so yourself, it takes time!! especially since you don't have that much to lose!! you're not starving yourself are you? and don't you feel better? more energy.....don't weigh yourself for a while....stop now and you'll gain back the weight you have lost and you may not fit into the smaller size at all....just think about that!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 17:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might need to concentrate on calories as well as carbs. I know I sure have to! PSMF has worked well for that.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 21:07
Registered Member

BF:

I should have clarified a bit more - I don't plan to go back to sugar. It truly makes me feel awful now and I can't stand the taste of carb foods anymore either. Tried eating a Wendy's burger today and the bun tasted absolutely disgustingly fake. (I actually used to like them!) I also took a couple bites of ice cream and it didn't sit well.

So, I'm doing low carb for life, definitely. Hopefully some time in the future my body will decide to start losing again. I'm going to give up, however, on getting on the scale. The scale is my enemy.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 21:24

Plan: don't know-hence forums..
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress:

Good for you! Give the scale a break! hehe It sounds like you are doing well! If your eating plan is a good one, you are doing nothing but good for your body. The first changes are within and THIS is the fuel to your success not what the scale reads. Do not give up. You will feel better soon.
hang in there!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 11:38

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 255/245/210 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default 2nd+ time = less lbs lost

Since being on Adkin's for over 6 months I only lost about 14 lbs . . I went from 281 to about 267. (Ht. 6'0")

In July 05 I opted for the gastric bypass. It is now the begining of October and I have lost 50lbs. I weigh 217 and still dropping . . I work out 5 times a week and have greatly reduced my food intake . . without extreme hunger.

I can not eat sugar or anything with a great deal o fat in it or I will get ill.
Thats the reality . .

I had been dieting since I was 13 (now 44) and could not keep doing the same thing that yielded little to no resuls.

Drastic yes, but life is to short to life and I could not keep up tis fruitless dieting fr another 30 years and not really ever make any progress.

Go after and attain your dreams.

Best of luck to all.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 22:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/179/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
My body may seem to be getting more muscular and thin, but I still fit in my larger sized pants. Although I fit in the smaller size now, I shouldn't fit in the large ones anymore at all!

I have this problem too. Sometimes I think "Man, this waistline isn't even that loose. How tight must it have been 20 lbs. ago?" but then I notice that maybe the waist isn't that loose, but the butt is pretty saggy. And what I thought was looking pretty hot on me back then, looks pretty frumpy now.

Who knows why the scale is so unkind sometimes, even when you're being good. Could it be too much sodium in something you ate, making you retain water? TOM? Hidden sugar?

BB
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 14:28

Plan: Atkins - weight is kilos
Stats: 140/125.1/85 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have the exact same problem. I stay oh so good for days and days, drop a couple of pounds and then it all comes back for no apparant reason. Right now im stuck between 222 and 230. Its SO annoying but then i try to remember how i felt 34 pounds ago, how HUGE my pants were and how short of breath i got while climbing stairs and how embarresd that made me feel. I also take on my bigges pair of pants (yes i have saved them for that purpose) and look at my old brasieres. They are HUGE. I have gone down two cup sizes and about 4 inches around my midst. I DO get the blues about this too and i DO tend to cheat when i get like that but then i try to remember all the stuff i just mentioned. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. Being an emotional eater its hard to foretell the outcome - it all depends on how it makes me FEEL.

For the time being i am still unable to exercise (had an operation under my arm and for one more week at least i am a bit handicapped) but the diet itself should make me loose so i dont get it at all. During my period of doing Pilates 3 times a week i told myself i was gaining muscle and loosing fat and that was what tipped the scale the wrong way. Now i dont exercise and i still gain and loose, gain and loose. I dont think there is ONE answer as to why that happens but damn i would give tons of money to just get below 218. A funny thing is that i loose almost 5 punds everytime i have my period and then gain it back. Before LC i always gained 5 pounds and lost then after.

Oh well.. sorry about my ramblings. Hope some of it helped.

Zuzzan
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 15:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You've only been low carbing since June? No one, that I know of, has done this diet without lots of tweaking. For me, I find that eating a large breakfast and keeping the other 2 meals small helps more with weight loss. I have a snack after lunch but avoid snacking after breakfast. I also try to walk about 10 minutes after each meal to enhance insulin stability. If it is TOM, you will gain quite a bit. I gain significantly at this time but some months are worse than others. You have to play the game of give and take, It is more important to stay consistant.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 07:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196.0/184.0/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 46%

If you get on the scale then off, then on again three times you'll probably get 3 different weights. Try once every two weeks. Of course if you do it 100 times in a row then you're doing step arobics and that might help too
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 12:41

Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

I like that - step arobics
Are you counting your carbs? I have the same problem - I started feb 2005, Lost about 10 Kg by the summer and have gained back 3.5kg. Should I go back on induction? I am not looking forward to those two weeks again.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 22:31

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

[QUOTE=rianleeann]I should have clarified a bit more - I don't plan to go back to sugar. It truly makes me feel awful now and I can't stand the taste of carb foods anymore either. Tried eating a Wendy's burger today and the bun tasted absolutely disgustingly fake. (I actually used to like them!) I also took a couple bites of ice cream and it didn't sit well.
QUOTE]

I think the answer is right there in your post. I'm not trying to be confrontational but if you are trying to loose weight having foods which are absolute fat storers such as wendy burgers and icecream are only going to sabotage your efforts. Without meaning to be harsh if you sabotage your program why would a gain surprise you?

Also I have found that i may not loose on the scales but my tape measure tells a different stroy.

When I do weigh myself i take into account that I weigh less in the morning, sometimes 2-3 pounds less than I would at the end of the day. Even going the the toilet and having a good ol clean out will show a loss!

Don't forget excersise. Sometimes you have to move it to loose it.
Good luck and don't let a set back break you
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 01:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I think the answer is right there in your post. I'm not trying to be confrontational but if you are trying to loose weight having foods which are absolute fat storers such as wendy burgers and icecream are only going to sabotage your efforts. Without meaning to be harsh if you sabotage your program why would a gain surprise you?

I was doing a semi low-carb plan- 40-60 carbs a day. Couldn't go lower than that or I got very sick.

But thanks for the advice.

By the way I've since given up low carbing. This post was from several months ago!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 02:00

Stats: 276/249/125 Female 5'4"
BF:of course
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rianleeann
By the way I've since given up low carbing. This post was from several months ago!

And how has that worked out for you? Are you on a different weight loss plan or have you given up on weight loss? Or maybe you have lost the weight and are maintaining? Just curious why others give up on LC. I seem to be at a plateau or something, I keep gaining and loosing the same 5 lbs week after week.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 17:05
Registered Member

BF:

I'm losing just by cutting back food and trying to get more exercise. It's working fine, but I'm not allowed to do low carb anymore on doctor's orders. Every single time I do it, I end up sick with neurological problems and low electrolytes, even when I take supplements. My body is screwed up somehow. I'm sad that I can't do it, but oh well!