Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 16:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamel
I am going to try that, as I love breakfast food!!! But one question....could the loss be attributable to less mass in your stomach in the morning because you ate less the night before? Doesn't the body treat a calorie the same at night as in the morning? I'm still gonna try it anyway...just wonderin'. Thanks!

Well the one thing about eating this way is that you DO have less mass in your stomach in the morning, and also all night long while you're sleeping. The calorie is treated the same way regardless of what time it is, however the reason I think this works so well is because it's when you're putting the most calories in your body. Eating the biggest meal in the morning and getting all your calories from that is beneficial because you're up, awake, moving around, going through your day to day life, hence burning more calories than you would at night. Nighttime, even before sleeping, most people have a tendency to 'slow down' after a hectic workday, relax, etc. etc. Then we go to bed. Well going to bed on a full stomach or somewhat full stomach, you're taking in the same amount of calories regardless of when you eat them, but you're burning them off faster by eating the bulk of them in the morning. I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make!
Additionally, and this may not be true for everyone, but I've found it's true for me, when I eat this way, I DO eat less calories naturally, because I find that my evening meals were very calorie dense, whereas my morning meals, although high in fat, are less caloric overall, and are setting the tone for the day, making me less hungry for the duration.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 16:43

And yes, everyone please do make sure to come back and post results! It seems to be working quite well for a lot of people so I'm hoping you will have the same benefit. It has also been working quite well for me!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-04, 19:41

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have lost 50 lbs, and been maintaininig for long months doing something very similar for two years.
I would recommend to add a 30 min pre-breakfast walk/jog/bike - whatever you feel like - for even better result. (See the AM Cardio on Emtpy Stomach thread.) A little exercise followed by a huge breakfast can jumpstart your day.

Eva
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 11:24
Registered Member

Stats: 119/119/103 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

Jadeca,

So what's ur typical breakfast/lunch and dinner now?

Dee
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 13:03

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I am not a morning eater and never have been....I truly just can not eat much if anything within the first hour or 2 that I am up.... I eat my biggest meal of the evening and have all along and I have lost weight at a pretty good rate....an average of about 2.5 pounds a week....I think everyone is just different....I wouldn't mind losing faster, but I don't think I could eat a heavy meal of the morning if I tried to force myself, nor a light one either for that matter....I wish I could because it makes more sense to fuel your body at the start of the day....perhaps I could just try making my larger meal at lunch and lighter at dinner....I have only been eating twice a day in general on this WOE with an occasional light snack anyway.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-04, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikaBsAs
Jadeca,

So what's ur typical breakfast/lunch and dinner now?

Dee
Well now for breakfast I go all out..... usually it goes something like this:

B ~ 3 scrambled eggs, 3 strips of bacon, 3 slices of salami, coffee (2 cups)
L ~ turkey & cheese on a tortilla w/mayo, 2 lc choc peanut butter truffles, water
D ~ 1 cup of veggies or 1 cup of salad, and sometimes I'll add in a bit of protein, like 1 turkey/cheese roll up, or 1 hamburger patty.

If I want any snacks, I make sure to have them before 7 PM.
Then I stop ALL eating after 7 PM. No snacks, nothing. The only thing I allow myself at night is sometimes a cup of sf lc hot cocoa, and hot tea. Once in a while coffee.

lipid ~ I've never been a morning eater either! Believe me, it was SO hard for me to get used to doing this! I actually started doing this by making my lunch much bigger so that at dinner I wasn't really hungry, because I just couldn't jump right into having a huge breakfast. But once I started doing that and not eating a big dinner, I found I was getting MUCH hungrier in the morning naturally because my stomach was completely empty when I woke up.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:14

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Sounds like a great idea to me!! I too need to be out the door by 5 in the a.m., but if I make the eggs and stuff the night before, I can just micorwave them while I get ready..gotta be worth a try!!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:39

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
lipid ~ I've never been a morning eater either! Believe me, it was SO hard for me to get used to doing this! I actually started doing this by making my lunch much bigger so that at dinner I wasn't really hungry, because I just couldn't jump right into having a huge breakfast. But once I started doing that and not eating a big dinner, I found I was getting MUCH hungrier in the morning naturally because my stomach was completely empty when I woke up.

I'll try to start gearing things more in that direction on the days I can....I already don't eat after dinner and most days have dinner around 4-5.....so I guess I am sort of doing it.... just would have to eat a big meal earlier...so hard for me though!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 11:41
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

You know, I have to admite that I clicked on this link warily. I've seen many a post over the last 16 months about eating strange things and everything else to loose weight. But I think your idea is very sound! I got my weight moving once already when I stoped eating after 7 and it makes so much since that it would work even better if I turned the size of my meals upside down. Thanks so much for the info Jadeca. I'm going to give this a shot as well.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 20:40

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This does make alot of sense. Breakfast comes at a time when the body has gone the longest without food. A good hearty breakfast will give you a good boost throughout the day. Lunch should be a little back-up and dinner should be small because the day is done. I hit the sofa as soon as I am done eating and gabbing on the forums. I had a wonderful breakfast yesterday. However, I ate it at lunch time. It was a steak with 2 eggs scrambled in cheese and zuchini and sliced avocado. Mmmm, I can't wait till tomorrow morning.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 21:56

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssofian
Sounds like a plan! I am wary of the theory about breaking stalls by going off low carb for a few days (carb-up seems to work for people, but some seem to eat lots of sugar and white bread, etc. etc. - I think carb up should be about increasing carbs, but still eating GOOD carbs) Anyway, I'm not willing to go and try that yet- this sounds great though. And it really makes sense!

Thanks jadeca.

I cannot speak for others, but when I carb up...I do it with allowable foods! I never carb up with foods from my old way of eating!!! Yuck!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 14:09

Does anyone have any results to post yet? I am down another 1 1b....total loss for this week = 3 lbs. Not TOO shabby!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 14:25

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have been doing this the last week and not even realizing it. I decided to go back to induction level carbs because I was stuck. I have been eating 3-4 eggs, bacon, tea for breakfast, a salad w/meat for lunch, and one cup green beans or broccoli and meat for dinner. No snacks. I lost 5 lbs last week!!!! I have been stuck for about a month or so. So I am keeping up, this is awesome.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandi68
I have been doing this the last week and not even realizing it. I decided to go back to induction level carbs because I was stuck. I have been eating 3-4 eggs, bacon, tea for breakfast, a salad w/meat for lunch, and one cup green beans or broccoli and meat for dinner. No snacks. I lost 5 lbs last week!!!! I have been stuck for about a month or so. So I am keeping up, this is awesome.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO glad to hear it's working for you! Wow, I'm excited, this could really be something that will help a lot of people out! Congrats on breaking out of your stall, and your 5 lb loss!!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 17:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 204/198/140 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Help with this question...

I work 3rd shift and i get home around 8 am, and i go to bed around 10 so since my schedule is kinda reversed from the usual should i eat less when i i get home and more at night? Just wandering what one would do on my schedule..i go in to work at 9:30- 7 am.