Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: genLC
Stats: // Female ni
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for offering this tip--it finally broke my stall! I didn't try the egg or meat fasts I'd been seeing, but I have tried Relacore (it didn't work/I didn't like it). My cut off time is 6P, and I lost 5 lbs last week EVEN with TOM approaching (I usually gain 4 leading up to that). Went to the beach last weekend and though I stayed LC, I couldn't avoid eating after 6PM (didn't want to be rude to my host).
I'll keep it up and let you know of my progress next week.

thanks again for the sensible and effective tip!

K
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 11:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 296/281/165 Female 5'6"
BF:52%/51%/??
Progress: 11%

well i am just NOW coming across this post. and it sounds like its worth a shot! besides loosing the xtra plus for me that is, would be i wont be too hungry at night (which is my weakest part of the day- im prone to evening binges).
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 12:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I forgot to add that I am also sleeping much better at night. I'm single but very social, have friends over for group dinners most nights and we always wind up eating around 8/8:30 PM--sometimes even later. I just made sure I had a large, late afternoon lunch and although I cooked (and had a couple cocktails) I just didn't eat dinner. Still had fun, but slept better at night, instead of eating a big dinner and crashing afterward.

K
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 12:12
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Thank you jadeca!

jadeca,

I know this post is a little old, but I just came across it, and I'm so glad you posted this - thank you

You see, I'm in a bit of a stall myself here, perhaps not a "true" stall since its only been a couple of weeks of bouncing around...but still..it's been bugging me a bit.

I've been anxiously reading all those "Meat & Egg fast" and "Fat Fast" posts, wondering if I should try one. I've also been kinda leery of doing so because I keep on wondering..."well, what happens when the so-called 'fast' is over?"

You've given me a much better idea to try first before doing something that I consider kinda radical (one of those "fasts").

Also - kudos to whomever it was who suggested cardio before breakfast.

I'll admit I haven't even started an exercise program...but..I've been wanting to. I'll just put my yoga pants and sweatshirt in the bathroom, so I can quickly change into them in the morning and get out for a decent walk, before coming back for breakfast (king size) and shower.

Thanks again everyone
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 13:05

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 285/230/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default This really does work!!!

I have been eating very small dinners (and sometimes no dinner at all because i'm not hungry) and I've lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I went on vacation and just pigged out on fried everything - so I went up to 228, but I got on the scale this morning and it said 218 (which has been my lowest so far). I've been losing no less than 0.5 pounds a day, and up to 1.5 when I do a little dancing for 15 - 20 minutes in the evening.

I found out that those Atkins Advantage bars stalled me at 218-220 for about 2 months - so i'll get back to this.

When I first began "eating like a King" for breakfast - I made 4 eggs and a 1/3 pack of bacon for a few days, but I really got tired of waking up so early to cook. So I went to the store and found some 0 carb Kielbasa and 1gr carb Nathan hotdogs. So if I'm really really hungry for breakfast, I'll cook the hotdogs - otherwise i'll just eat the Atkins Advantage bars. The only difference now about the bars is that I don't count the 2 or 3 grams of carbs they have advertised on the front of the package - I count all the carbs minus the fiber as part of my 20-25gr of carbs a day.

So today for breakfast, I just had an Advantage bar (I counted the whole 12gr) and the only reason I like these bars so much is because of the high fiber they provide without all the gas . For lunch I ordered chinese food - I had mixed vegetables with beef (no rice) and Teriyaki Chicken strips (kabobs). I know the mixed vegetables don't really have too many carbs in them - but the chicken strips are baked/broiled to the point where they are slightly burned (I love them this way) so they aren't sweet. When I don't bring my lunch to work I've been ordering this combination and I've lost 10 pounds - so burned teriyaki doesnt affect my weight loss at all.

For dinner, I might eat a can of tuna with some mayo and seasonings - or I might eat 2 hotdogs (more than likely, it will be the hotdogs). And i'll call it a night.

So my goal is to lose 3 more pounds by Monday - I know it's not the healthiest thing to lose weight so quickly, but I'm ready to get down to 215 and I know this little bit of info will be an encouragement to those who need it.

Thanx a lot to the lady who initially posted this - it's been a really big help. It gets much easier to eat this way once you've been doing it for a few days (and you don't have anyone cooking your meals for you).

Take care everyone!
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 08:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Wow, Junyabel--that's awesome! Of course I had to look at your stats, thinking: "That's gotta be a guy!"

As for me--yay! Down another 3 this morning! I'm basically eating two fairly large meals per day and luckily I'm not a big night eater anyway.
Yesterday--3 eggs cooked sunny side up in butter then steamed in white balsamic vinegar and served on a bed of cottage cheese (you might try this if you get tired of the same ol' eggs).
Lunch at 2PM: 6 oz tuna salad on cheese "crackers" (thin slices of sharp cheddar and swiss). A couple handfuls of nuts for snacks.

Golfed in the late afternoon (lots of walking) and it was easy not having dinner.

Thanks Jadeca for submitting this tip!

K
  #142   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 22:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

Wow! I'm so glad everyone is having such great success with this! I really wanted to share it, because I too have seen tons of posts where people are doing crazy fasts (which I myself have been guilty of falling prey to!), or trying the 'new hot (pill, drink, herb, name your fat burner here)' and just figured the same way so many others have. What happens after you stop doing the fast, pill, etc? The whole reason many of us starting this WOE is not only to lose weight, but to get healthier, and learn how to make better choices.
So is doing some sort of fast or taking some 'miracle' pill or drink really helping us? It seems as if that is just replacing other habits to lose weight the easy way. At least in my opinion.
At least doing something like this is natural, and doesn't force you to take anything. All you do is change the natural rhythm of how you eat. Sounds so simple and it is!
Again, I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this tip! I too sleep MUCH better when I don't eat after a certain time. It's nice to go to bed without that full, bloated feeling, and wake up hungry and ready for the day!

Good luck to all of you! Please keep everyone posted on your progress!
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 07:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you again Jadeca for posting this thread! Down another two lbs this morning! Total lost is 13 lbs after about 3 weeks. I haven't had this kind of success since I started low carbing.

I'm also uneasy with some of the other methods out there to break stalls. Yeah, it takes a little will to resist even a handful of nuts or some other snack at night, but the rewards are worth it. I hope others will post their results too.

K
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 02:46

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

ksa---what does 'ni' mean in your stats? Way to go on your loss. That's quite a bit in a short period of time.

I too am doing the queen/princess/pauper as well as the egg/meat fast at the same time. We really shouldn't call it a 'fast' as I'm eating like a horse (well, maybe a pony ). I eat my main meal for breakfast around 7 (3-4 scrambled eggs with some diced meat depending how hungry I am), a fairly good-sized lunch around 1 (6 or so oz. of chicken or pork & maybe an hard-boiled egg) and then a small dinner (4 oz. of meat) around 5. As for snacks, I can't remember the last time I ate anything after dinner. Probably pork rinds dipped in cheese sauce and probably on a weekend. I do the egg/meat 'fast' during the week and eat my veggies & cheese on weekends. I started the queen/princess/pauper thing, I think, early Jan. and did start losing weight again after maintaining the same weight over the holidays (Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Year's). It came off slow and then added the egg/meat and I've lost 12 lbs. since Jan. 10th or so. (About 1 lb/week which is fast enuf for me). I know that loss will stay off since it's coming off slow. If it comes off too quickly, you'll have a tendency to gain some of that back. Happy Easter everyone!
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 07:48

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Default Sounds Promising...

This sounds promising since I have not lost anything for 3 weeks... I eat every couple of hours to keep my blood sugars stable, but will cut off at 7:00 p.m. tonight and weigh myself daily to keep track... I'll report back the results...
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Cajuda, it means "not important" which, if that were really the case, I wouldn't have any problem with posting it, eh? Wimp! I joined this forum about 7 months ago after googling something to the effect of "stalling on low carb" and found this incredible site. Sorry to be a wuss about posting my own stats, I have about 60 lbs to go (down from 70 a couple of weeks ago--wahoo!).

The sticky posted about stalling at the top of this forum is so well written, I hope people will heed the advice. The problem with stalling is it makes it so difficult to stick with the plan--I expect rewards for my efforts and when I didn't get them, I'd get discouraged and blow it on the weekend, get back on the plan the next day, no results by the end of the week, blow it again, bla bla bla. If I could just get to goal and then allow the occasional indulgence I'd be fine! Dinking around with so much left to lose blows.

Following this inverted eating schedule finally produced results so quickly and easily it motivated me to be extra dilligent about avoiding "low carb" frankenfoods and I'm sure it produced even better results. This just seems to me to be a very sensible, non-extreme approach, because I don't want my metabolism to adapt to something kooky, leaving me less options the next time I stall. I'm leaving town today for five days of being a guest, where I'll eat LC, but won't be able to politely control the time when I dine, so I'll let you know if there's any change when I return.

Wish you all the best with whatever healthful approach works.

K
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 05:58
Registered Member

Stats: 200/186.5/150 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 27%

If you read many LC books, they recommend eating a breakfast that is high in protein and fat - like eggs cooked in butter. The rational is that this infusion of "fuel" jump-starts your metabolism and keeps your "engine" running all day long. I also find it helpful to exercise in the morning by walking on my treadmill about 2-3 miles. This allows me to eat breakfast, boost my metabolism and burn off most of the calories that I have eaten for breakfast. My typical breakfast is: 2 egg omlet with 1 oz cheese, green peppers, shallots, and a mushroom; 1/2 piece of LC toast with butter; 1 cup of green tea. I also take a fish oil capsule with every meal for the omega-3 fatty acids that we all need.
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 16:51

Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm going to start this from tomorrow and it's interesting to know that it's worked for many people, but would like to pose a question: Wouldn't it make even more sense to have most of your carbs for breakfast and lunch, as well as having larger meals then, and then when it comes to dinner, having only protein and fats? Perhaps the insulin levels will be very low then after no carbs at night, thereby increasing weightloss? Just a thought....
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 20:22

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%

I think your natural approach to eating and experimenting with your body is great, Jadeca. I am actually addicted to those damn diet pills and i probably take too many different types of vitamins on top of it. I am not sure wheather it is a physical addiction or a mental addiction, probably both. All i know is that it is unhealthy and all i can do is stop buying them. I must admit that i am scared to death about what will happen once i stop. I feel like i have totally ruined my body over the years of abusing them.
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 16:47

Stats: 271/226.5/190 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 55%

today I start this new way of eating... I hope to see results soon!!!