Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 15:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Caloric Staggering - What do you think?

I came across this link and thought it might be interesting to post under the Stalls Thread. Opinions would be appreciated.
Wanda

http://www.allyourstrength.com/nutrition_1202_cs.html

Caloric Staggering
A simple trick to help you lose bodyfat quickly

Article Summary

By planning your calories out over the course of a week rather than daily, Caloric Staggering (CS) allows you to eat few calories, lose more bodyfat and prevent metabolic decline associated with low calorie diets.
CS helps prevent hormones such as leptin, thyroid and testosterone from declining over the course of the week.
CS is a good technique psychologically-speaking as you don't eat the same thing every day, plus you have two 'refeed' days that allow for some slack in the diet.

Most people approach fat loss with the same enthusiasm as they would a Roman execution. No wonder—the very word "diet" has, as its first three letters, a fairly apt explanation of what your body thinks you're doing to it.

As most dieters have found out, some degree of caloric supervision is necessary—especially when one is trying to lose stubborn bodyfat or break a plateau. Over the years I've used a trick I call caloric staggering to help with these plateaus. To my surprise this is now a trick I use almost full-time, even with my kcals are not excessively low. Despite your goals, caloric staggering (or CS) will help you avoid the pitfalls of dieting, which we'll cover later in this article.

First, let's define CS.

What is "Caloric Staggering"?

CS is a relatively simply mathematical approach to decreasing overall calorie consumption by using a weekly approach rather than a daily protocol to govern caloric intake. Realistically speaking, 10 calories per pound of bodyweight would be considered an extreme fat-burning diet plan for anyone who is weight training and seeking to drop excess bodyfat. Even at 10 calories per pound, muscle mass is sacrificed. However, using CS, your weekly totals can be as low as 7-8 calories per pound while actually gaining muscle mass. How can this be?

Taking advantage of the body's "fat thermostat"
The term 'fat thermostat', while not entirely accurate, is sufficient to describe the process the body goes through while under caloric restriction. After a few days, the body 'lowers' this thermostat to protect its fat reserves. This is due to the fact that starvation is sensed and the body reacts by saving what it's designed to live off of during times of famine: fat. This is not good for a dieter, right? Enter CS: CS allows you to lower calories even more drastically for just a few days, then bump those calories up on key days to help prevent the thermostat from dropping. This means greater and more consistent fat loss over time. There are many other benefits as well, which we'll discuss later.

More on the weekly approach
Let's say hypothetically that you weigh 200 pounds and want to lose 20 pounds of bodyfat while maintaining your muscle mass. This is not an simple goal, as many who have tried will attest. However, this go-around we'll be using CS strategies. Rather than taking the standard approach of 10 times your bodyweight in calories, which would be 2,000 calories per day, a CS-type strategy may look something like this:

Day One: 1,200 calories
Day Two: 1,500 calories
Day Three: 2,500 calories (a refeed day)
Day Four: 1,200 calories
Day Five: 1,500 calories
Day Six: 1,000 calories (a tough day!)
Day Seven: 3,500 calories (Say what?? That's right: this is a planned overfeed.)

Now, let's do the math: on the conventional approach your 'weekly' caloric intake would have been 14,000 calories (2,000 calories per day x 7 days per week.) Now, look at the CS totals: your weekly caloric intake is only 12,400 calories, despite a free-for-all day on Day Seven and a maintenance-level caloric intake on Day Three. This equates to much more than a merely greater fat loss as CS does much more than 'cut calories.'

Let's take a look at the science behind CS.

Why CS Works

Hormone levels are more stable
When calories are cut, the body goes into starvation mode. That means that 'nonessentials' such as hormones (testosterone, leptin, thyroid and others) tend to crash. (1) This is not good, to say the least. Starvation mode also creates a vicious fat-storing cycle. Fat is essential for human survival, so when the body perceives starvation, guess what it chooses to hold on to? Bodyfat.

The good news is that this doesn't occur overnight. It takes the body anywhere from 48 to 72 hours to 'sense' starvation and begin to lower the fat-burning hormones. This is a rough estimate, of course, but factually this is what I've seen time and time again in the real world. Using CS, you body simply doesn't have time to adapt. Your hormones stay optimized and, with the two days of overfeeding, leptin (a powerful fat-mobilizing hormone when used properly) and insulin (a very powerful anabolic hormone that's safe when insulin resistance is decreased by low-carbohydrate intake) get to work their magic. More fat is burned and muscle mass is either spared or actually increased. Many bodybuilders wonder why they look better two days after a contest. The reason is leptin: once leptin kicks back in, lowered by severe dieting, fat burning is restored and all is well again.

Extreme decrease in calories on certain days
There's no doubt that if you decrease your calories enough you'll drop weight. The question is simple: where is that weight coming from? And, for that matter, how long will that weight loss last? Not long, that's for sure—and unless you're weight training, much of that weight will be water and muscle. However, by using CS principles you can get the best of both worlds. Extremely low-calorie days will strip off fat like you wouldn't believe. I've personally noticed a pound per day in fat loss both in myself and others, especially when CS is conducted using a low-carb diet. Carbs are reintroduced on Day Three and in mass on Day Seven to restore depleted glycogen reserves (the glucose fuel stored in the liver and muscles that is used during intense exercise.) The best news is these higher-calorie days prevent the starvation cycle from ever beginning.

This is a similar diet as the one we grew up on
By "grew up on", I'm referring to our Paleolithic ancestors. Many days of plenty were followed by days of practically nothing. Now, CS isn't that extreme, but the principles are the same. Interesting to note that according to the research of Dr. Weston Price, obesity was all but unheard of until the advent of grains in our world eating plan. So obviously our ancestors didn't have a problem with bodyfat. (2)

Psychological Variance
In my article on Planned Variance I mention the psychological aspects of dieting. CS can be a tremendous psychological boost to the ordinary "eat the same thing every day" approach most diets adhere to. Even on low-calorie days, you have something to look forward to just around the corner. And, of course, that Day Seven is very nice. Pizza anyone?

Bottom line: a diet is only as effective as the dieter. If the dieter isn't a happy camper the most precise and perfect diet on earth will fail. CS can help you avoid the mindtrap associated with prolonged caloric depravation while burning considerably more bodyfat in the process.

Simple CS

If you want to try CS for yourself, here are some simple principles you can put into practice on any dietary program:

1) First, get a good baseline on your maintenance calories. Usually this is about 15 times your bodyweight, but this varies a great deal from person to person and depends on your activity level.
2) Once this baseline is established, chart out a course that, over a seven-day cycle, puts your calories at no more than 8.5 times your bodyweight. Be sure to follow the sample above for staggering principles. For example, you should not eat four days straight with the same caloric intake.
3) To pull of CS practically, simply eat an extra meal on your up days or eat less food per meal on your down days. Days 3 and 7 are more carb-heavy days (unless you have an illness that would prevent the use of carbs—consult with your physician prior to undertaking this or any other diet.)

That's all there is to it. After a few weeks you'll get used to eating less on one day and more on another. In fact, you should eventually get to the point to where your body, not a weekly schedule, dictates your caloric needs. This is for advanced athletes only, so if you're just beginning, stick to the formula.

Advanced CS

Ah...everyone wants this information! But alas, this is going to be covered in my 6-Week Peaking Program which will be available, if all goes well, in January. I'll cover all kinds of tricks to making CS even more effective including:

• Fat fasting
• Fat cycling
• The uses of MCTs
• Foods for refeeding
• More drastic, short-term CV cycles
• CV for athletes and bodybuilders
• And much more.

Stay tuned...and remember to stagger those calories!

Sources
1) McDonald, Lyle CCN; The Ketogenic Diet
2) Price, Weston, M.D.; Dr. Price's Search For Health
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 18:59
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Sounds interesting. I would love to try it!

red
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:31
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Yes, when I was on WW, they recommended staggering your Points in the same fashion, to keep your body guessing and not going into starvation mode. You had some low Point days, some medium Point days and at least one super high Point day where you went over your Point allowance by at least 10 Pts. But at the end of the week, you ended up having the same amount of Points as if you had eaten evenly all week. It didn't work for me (WW itself didn't work for me! ) But I know it worked like a charm for other people.

I imagine we could do the same thing with our carb intake, as long as we stayed with lowcarb foods and didn't use it as an excuse to binge on sugar! But on the high(er) carb day, you could include more veggies, a bit more cheese, etc. It might work, you never know!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:38
Mad Scientist

BF:

Oops, I'd forgotten about the "carb heavy" days. It was the concept of staggering that I was more interested in. This was written in relationship to bodybuilding.

I didn't realize WW did that.

I think the only difference here is that it utilizes 8.5X body weight instead of 10X b/c the staggering doesn't allow the metabolism to slow down.

Not sure how I feel about it, but it's a neat concept.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:41
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

red
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 11:12

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have been doing carb refeeds once a week based on the Leptin theory and it has been working quite well. More veggies won't cut it, how about pasta, Fruit Loops and Coke. I have been loosing half a pound every week for the last 7 weeks. On my normal low-carb days I'm getting about 25 a day. Strangely, I have been low-carbing long enough I don't really enjoy the refeed days, they feel like a chore.

This last week it seems to be slowing. The less body fat you have the less Leptin your body will produce. The fatter you are the less you need to refeed. I am getting to be thin so it is getting more difficult. I have been wondering if I need to increase my refeed duration, or maybe just be happy with the weight I am now and work into maintenance. Weighing 3 pounds more every Monday morning also wears on you after while.

Before I learned about Leptin and started the refeeds (bi-weekly at first) I had many several week stalls, but none since. Back in the fall I thought 185 and 183 were never going to end.

This caloric staggering modified to the suggested carb/caloric staggering makes a great deal of sense with what I have been experiencing.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 11:59
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hey, George, you are just the person I'm looking for! I posted on the exercise thread about refeeds but haven't got a reply yet.

I'm been looking into the leptin connection recently. That's how I pulled up this article. I'm on my last few pounds and after 2 months of slow 1/2 pound loss/week, I experienced this intense urge to binge. So here I am, looking into the refeed.

About the refeed, I would think it would be a chore too. I'm thinking of doing it, but afraid of the sugar. I have a sugar addiction that's been really under control. Funny thing is that when I think about a refeed, the "sugar addict" isn't getting excited. Although who knows what would happen after the refeed.

The other option I read was to go to maintenance calories for 2-3 days. Have you heard of this? Would that be "normal" maintenance (ie. food pyramid) or LC maintenance?

Sorry to post this here, but you don't have a journal.

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Well, you didn't ask me Wanda, but I have to put in my .02 cents anyway (one of my biggest flaws, so I'm told).

I can see the wisdom for some people to have those "re-feed" days, but for you I don't know if it would be wise or not. I peeked into your journal, because honestly your stats intrigued me. I couldn't understand why someone who is so slim and pretty would need to lowcarb! But then I read all about your health difficulties so far, and I definitely understood. The only thing I worry about is that those re-feed days might help you lose the last few pounds, but would also cause flare-ups of the medical problems you've had in the past! I don't know if that would happen of course, maybe not. But I think it's something you should at least take into account before doing anything drastic. Hope I didn't offend you, I'm just trying to help!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 14:07
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Wendy:

Of course you didn't offend me. That's what this forum is all about, right?

And I agree with you! I've been mulling this over in my mind. Thank you for setting me back on track. You are right. When I eat high carbs just for a few days, I'm hung over and my immune system gets run down. I end up with something like a cold. I'm feeling so good, I forget what it feels like to feel bad.

Since the New Year, I have been trying to establish some normal eating patterns for myself and bingeing just didn't seem normal to me. But I think I'm finally starting to understand that this IS normal. I know next time that this "urge" to eat strikes me (it's not hunger), I do need to eat a lot more than normal to restore leptin. The only question that remains is, eat what? I'd like to find the most workable solution for my needs, while at the same time restoring as much leptin as possible. But you are right, sugar is not one of my options.

I just ordered a book called "Mastering Leptin" so it should be interesting. I'm sure they'll have lots of advise (if it ever gets here).

Thanks for being the voice of reason,
Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 15:01
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Just a reminder, too, that Dr. Schwarzbein discourages "carb-ups" (such as athletes do in CKD) because she believes that even periodic surges in insulin levels are detrimental to our health. Her mantra is to keep insulin on an even keel at all times for optimal health.

On the other hand.... in case you don't buy into that .... Natrushka has a lot of experience with CKD and re-feeds AND she has/had hypoglycemia. Her experience is that her hypogl. has apparently been healed, as she doesn't have the BS reactions that she used to. I don't know if I would crash from a re-feed or not.... I haven't had that many carbs in one sitting since i started LC! Don't even like to think about it!

For whatever that's worth to ya........
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 15:28

BF:

Hi Wanda, I think Wendy is probably right but I'll give my additional 2 cents for anybody else interested and try to answer your question.

I have posted about Leptin and refeeds a couple other times and in general reply always, could work but its not for me. This is all about weight obscession of course, not about eating healthy.

I have found this low-carb experience fascinating. I would say that I am sugar addict, but not so much anymore. I was a Coke and chocolate bar addict, for our American friends Canada has about 3 times the selection of chocolate bars then the US does and Twinkies don't even have sugar compared to a Joe Louis bar. After 3 months on low-carb none of these things even taste good anymore. When I refeed I drink 2 cans of Coke which is all I can handle. I used to be able to drink 5+ Cokes a day. Now, every Sunday the Cokes taste OK but I'm happy to get back to water, no cravings. Like you I was a afraid of going back to sugar, but I know my weight obsession goes well beyond some sugar craving, now that know about low carbing.

I read about Leptin mostly on body builder web sites after I learned about it here on lowcarb.ca, and searched the web. Body builders are all trying to get below 10% body fat and some do refeeds every other day or even a couple hours every day. Its from them I learned a refeed should be pure carbohydrate if possible, and as low fat as possible. Breakfast cereal fits the bill and the one cereal Atkins makes fun of is perfect, Fruit Loops.
You can search for Leptin at http://www.avantlabs.com or try http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

You really need to go beyond maintenance for a refeed and not worry about gaining a couple pounds. You could refeed with any high carb food: potatoes, rice, bread, corn, pop corn, pie, cake, breakfast cereal, apples, pears, bananas, fruit juice, raisins, pop corn...

Calorice staggering seems to make alot sense with what I have been experiencing. But it relies on restoring Leptin levels which requires carbohydrates.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 17:15
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Teri:

Nat's been pretty quiet on the homefront. I too thought she'd have good advise b/c I'd read her other posts about her hypo. But she's ended her journal. I could PM her, but I don't want to bother her. She must get swamped.

As for Schwarzbein, does she talk about Leptin in her new book? I should pull out her old book and go through it again.

George:
Quote:
You really need to go beyond maintenance for a refeed and not worry about gaining a couple pounds.

Well, my last legal binge was 3200 calories, so that's a given. The only difference is that I wouldn't refeed consistently. I know when this urge hits so I could just go straight into a refeed when necessary. What do you think about that?

Quote:
You could refeed with any high carb food: potatoes, rice, bread, corn, pop corn, pie, cake, breakfast cereal, apples, pears, bananas, fruit juice, raisins, pop corn...

My goal is more trying to figure out what my body wants. I can't fight the fact that it wants food. It's just what kind of food I should give it. If I'm going to gain weight from it, I may as well make sure that I gained it for a good reason. Maybe the next time this hits (hopefully not for another 2 more months ), I'll try high carb foods like fruit, popcorn and brown rice for one day.

You know, as I type this I'm thinking "who am I kidding"? OK, I need to rethink all of this. George, if I do this, I'd do it on those more healthy high carb foods. Boy, all of a sudden, it seems like a monumental decision. But part of me (the experimenter) is fascinated by it. OTOH, it could do a lot of damage to all my hard work. I have lots to think about.

As for the calorie staggering, I don't think it's much of an option for me since my calories are so low to start out with. Maintenance levels are around 1500 and 8.5xbody weight would put me at 1,045 calories on average as it is. I just thought the calorie staggering part was kind of a neat concept for others who may be having difficulty breaking a plateau.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Mar-11-03 at 17:18.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 19:30
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Guinea Pig reporting for duty. One question - how do I figure my calories? I've read the article and I can't make sense of how he arrived at those numbers for his example. If someone could please break this down for the mathematically challenged I would appreciate it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 10:37

BF:

I think the point to refeeds is to plan them and regular intervals, as opposed to wait for the urge to hit. For me the urge will never hit since I don't seem to get hungry or have cravings much anymore. The journal entry about Hot Tomales has me thinking about my next refeed though.

Based on my experience with refeeds, if you decide to binge on anything and everything for a day once every couple months, its a no brainer - go ahead and the 3 pounds you gained plus a bit will melt away over the following 5 days. Its one way to shake up a stall. Of course, if it causes you to abandon your low-carb diet, then its a pretty bad idea.

Wanda, its interesting that you are aware of your calories and can speak in terms of them. I know my carbs, but I don't have a clue about my calories. Some days I eat more than other days. In many ways I have stopped believing in calories because carb calories so different than protein, fat or fiber calories. And they behave differently in combination. In many ways, the calorie concept is too simplistic. I absolutely believe a calorie is not a calorie. I like to snack at work, it used to be chocolate bars. Now I eat many calories of pecans every day, and result is a loose weight and it makes me incredibly regular. The result I hoped for, having picked pecans because of all their high fiber and since I like them.